Reload this Page >

Matrix: Reloaded sells 4 million copies in first day

Old 10-17-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.videobusiness.com/article...8&catType=NEWS
OCT. 17 | First-day sales of Warner Home Video's highly anticipated second installment of The Matrix trilogy sold about 4 million combined DVD and VHS units, according to industry sources, and exceeded the expectations of some big-box retailers.

Best Buy officials projected The Matrix Reloaded to be their biggest DVD seller ever and were not disappointed.

"We've had an unprecedented response from our core consumers," said Best Buy senior VP of entertainment Gary Arnold. "It aligns very well with Best Buy's core consumer, which is a young male interested in technology. For us, this is probably as big as it gets for the Christmas season."

Best Buy was selling Reloaded in stores on DVD only for $14.99--about half the $29.95 MSRP for the title. The chain, which is no longer carrying new releases in VHS, had the Reloaded videocassette on the Best Buy Web site for $17.99. Best Buy rival Circuit City was also selling the DVD for $14.99. Blockbuster had it on its Web site for $22.99.

Shipments skewed heavily toward DVD. Warner officials would not comment on sales or shipment numbers.

Tower Records/Video cross-merchandised Reloaded with the film's CD soundtrack as well as the series' first installment, The Matrix. The chain was selling the Reloaded DVD for $19.99.

The Matrix, released in 1999 when DVD player penetration was relatively small, is one of the 10 all-time best-selling DVDs. According to industry estimates, it has sold about 8 million DVD copies.
Crazy.
Old 10-17-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THis is excellent news for DVDs. Everyone knew it was going to sell like Hot Cakes
Old 10-17-03, 09:03 PM

Remember when this movie came out - immediately after it hit theatres - on pirated DVDs and SVCDs? And there was a scandal... now not only that it's the highest-grossing R-rated movie ever, it also sets a record in sales... hmmm... could it be that piracy actually elevates sales for GOOD movies (or at least popular), while it only contributes to the quick downfall of bad movies? Food for thought.
Old 10-17-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD player penetration... sounds wrong...
Old 10-17-03, 09:48 PM
Suspended

The Matrix, released in 1999 when DVD player penetration was relatively small, is one of the 10 all-time best-selling DVDs.
Man, that's just wrong on so many lvls. lol
Old 10-17-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
could it be that piracy actually elevates sales for GOOD movies (or at least popular), while it only contributes to the quick downfall of bad movies?
No that's what text messaging does, which is also something the MPAA thinks needs to be curtailed.
Old 10-17-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
VHS sales sound wrong.
Old 10-17-03, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy sh&t!
Old 10-18-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I'm going to wait for the box set instead of buying each disc. And oh, wordtoyamotha, we can say shit freely around here.
Old 10-18-03, 02:40 AM
Banned

first there was star wars .... then matrix ... then lotr .......

.... you decide.

star wars was great when i was 10 (what have you done for me lately????)

lord or matrix????

conceptually, it's either or per fan base.

thankfully, 4 mil makes a good statement for dvd sales.

long live the matrix gen ............ 11/5 ..... wooohhoooooo!!!!!!!!!

and yes .... regardless of the differences, i will claim brass nuts and compare the three as far as older and new age epic stories in their own right ......

Last edited by Rice Sniffer; 10-18-03 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-18-03, 07:44 AM

I wonder how many out of the 4 million units sold were widescreen...

...from what I saw at Walmart....looks like there were more fullscreens in stock.
Old 10-18-03, 11:39 AM

I saw the same at my local Best Buy. With as many copies as they had there was a lot of empty shelf space that, as I was walking to get it, was being filled by the employees. I looked at all the copies they were using to fill the shelves and a majority were fullscreen. I asked the guy and he gave me the widescreen but said they were almost gone...hence the abundance of fullscreen. Whether they hardly got any widescreen or just displayed all the widescreen and very little fullscreen he did not know.
Old 10-18-03, 12:38 PM

I know for a fact that they had more widescreen than fullscreen shipments. They simply sold more widescreens than fullscreens - which is great news, more people are buying widescreen!!!! But this sucks, because the other people (who are unaware of the difference) who want the movie are left with no choice but to buy fullscreen.... they don't even get a choice!
Old 10-18-03, 04:57 PM

Too bad about the 4 mil that bought this movie....one of the worst of seen in along time and one of the worst sequels ever!@
Old 10-18-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by mackace23
Too bad about the 4 mil that bought this movie....one of the worst of seen in along time and one of the worst sequels ever!@

wait a second... You mean people didn't like this film? Amazing, from all the forums I read about this I haven't ever seen anyone ever post anything bad about the film. Wow. I think people praised the rave scene for it's nice... um.. dance number. yeah. Amazing, you should tell us more about how some didn't like it. I have never heard of it.......
Old 10-18-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is this "seen" you mentioned? Would I be familiar with the Best of seen? A compilation CD maybe?
Old 10-18-03, 06:02 PM

It's one of the worst sequels i've "watched" in along time. The worst scene is the burley brawl. I thought the first one was great but this one horrible.
Old 10-18-03, 07:07 PM

Hell a ot of these sales came from the BB 5 dollar coupon i know thats what led me to give in and purchase it.
Old 10-18-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I'm more curious about the break between DVD and VHS in that 4 million.
Old 10-18-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
My thoughts exactly . . .
Old 10-18-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
DVD: 3,999,994

VHS: 6

Old 10-19-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
Remember when this movie came out - immediately after it hit theatres - on pirated DVDs and SVCDs? And there was a scandal... now not only that it's the highest-grossing R-rated movie ever, it also sets a record in sales... hmmm... could it be that piracy actually elevates sales for GOOD movies (or at least popular), while it only contributes to the quick downfall of bad movies? Food for thought.
If the pirated DVD were of the same quality as the ones released by the studios, I would bet that most people would not go buy the DVD when it hit the market (unless they wanted the extras).

That is what has happened to the music industry. Why buy something that is already the same quality (or atleast good enough).

Now, what I would like to see is the priced dropped for movie tickets, $50 (tickets, food and drink) to take your whole family is crazy.

If Reloaded sales 10 million copies over the next 6 months, and the studio makes about 7 a copy, then that is an extra 70 million in thier pockets. But, as long as we are willing to pay the higher prices, they will continue to raise the ticket prices year after year.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 10-19-03 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-19-03, 01:47 PM

Okay, I've bought plenty of bootlegged movies on DVD and VCD (having been in places like Korea and Kuwait) because I could not get to theaters showing them. And you know what?
I still bought the frickin' DVD later!
Old 10-19-03, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by REL77
THis is excellent news for DVDs.
Actually, IMO, it is terrible news for DVDs.
They went cheap with Matrix Reloaded, almost putting out a SuperBit title, so that they could save the SE stuff for the inevitable Trilogy DVD set.

Personally, I DON'T think that's a good thing for DVD's.
Old 10-19-03, 06:35 PM

t's one of the worst sequels i've "watched" in along time. The worst scene is the burley brawl. I thought the first one was great but this one horrible.

You must live to threadcrap the Matrix. Didn't you get enough of a release in this AVS Thread

I think it's abundantly clear that you didn't like TMR but you don't have to crap up every thread you see. Relax it's just a movie. Let people enjoy the good things for once.

another avs threadcrap

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.