Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ric Easton's semi-official Cover Art Thread!

Old 08-24-03, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Added...

I just adjusted my Teaser art LOTR covers for the Extended Editions. I realize that ROTK is quite a bit early, but the other two looked lonely on the shelf without it! You can download them from my site

Battlestar Galactica
The Complete Epic Series:

I made two versions on this to fit in a 6 disc case, and they are now available for download at my site.

Bigger View

Bigger View

STAR TREK: The Five Year Mission Set:

I've redone my old Star Trek: TOS Series of covers into a 5 disc set with a shot of the Enterprise spanning across the spines...

Here are the actual covers...

Bigger View

Bigger View

Bigger View

Bigger View

Bigger View

To get this to work, you need five 7 disc cases plus an add a page (You can get those at Sleeve City), to make each set hold 8 discs. That comes to a total of 40 discs.

Since the spine shot was uploaded I made a few minor changes. "Space, the final frontier" now takes up two lines (to make it more symetrical) and I played with the Delta/Volume symbol a little.

Anyway your thoughts are welcome.

Lord of the Rings covers...

Bigger View
Download zip file here!

Bigger View
Download zip file here!

Both of these, as well as my other covers can be seen at my website:
RixGrafix

I just made a Planet of the Apes 6 disc cover to hold "The Evolution" box set. Even though everyone knows the end of the first movie, I still felt that it was wrong for the cover to be a major spoiler!

Bigger View

And a newer version, I like this better...

Bigger View

Ric

Last edited by Ric Easton; 11-23-03 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-25-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beautiful Covers man
Old 08-29-03, 09:34 PM
Cool New Member

I'll second that....... FANTASTIC WORK.

I can't wait for the ROTK teaser art & your final helping!

Best Regards,
KBDVD.
Old 09-01-03, 01:16 PM

Bump!

Just added a Planet of the Apes cover.

Ric
Old 09-03-03, 09:16 PM

LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

....with one small exception. The POTA spine could use a Fox logo and perhaps an ape head at the top. maybe not an ape head, but something ape-related.

otherwise, beautiful!
Old 09-05-03, 07:58 AM

Thanks Phraseturner,

I think I'm gonna keep the spine the way it is. I'm not much for studion logos on the spines, the back is more than enough for me. I also have never cared for the little pictures of actors they put up at the top of the spines.

I know this may seem odd from someone that has cluttered up his spines with giant panaoramic shots, like my ongoing ST-DS9 Collection...

But sometimes I thing simpler is better.

Ric
Old 09-05-03, 08:44 AM

Ric there is one hell of a big difference a small pic on a spinal and a panoramic spinal image that covers multiple keepcases. IMO they're not in the same universe.
Old 09-21-03, 01:14 PM

Ric,

Would you please, please consider doing some custom cover art for the Sports Night series set? I would love to replace the 3 separate 2-disc single size keepcases with one 6 or 7 disc alpha case.
Old 09-21-03, 02:17 PM

Andrea,

I don't have the set myself and have been unable to find high quality photos on the internet. What were you looking for? The present cover just designed for a 6 disc case or a whole new design? If it's the former, I would need you or someone else to send me some Hi-res scans of the present packaging.

Ric
Old 10-18-03, 01:53 PM

Ric,

Wanted to put in another request:

Battlestar Galactica: Complete Epic Series
Old 10-18-03, 02:18 PM

I haven't seen the set yet, Andrea. When does it come out?

What would you want? A basic scan touch up job like with Sports Night?

BTW, can you send me an email? My computer crashed a couple of weeks ago and I lost everyone's addresses!

Ric
Old 10-18-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey Ric, I love your LOTR covers, could you maybe alter them for the Extended Versions? I want 2 seperate covers for 2 Disc each. Maybe if you have time you could make alternate versions using other teasers (not the Big Heads used on the dvd covers) for Disc 1+2 (the movie) of each film? I actually like these 2 posters if you could use them or find better quality versions.
http://vclips.com/postersfast/images...-303397649.jpg
http://vclips.com/postersfast/images...1091024774.jpg

Last edited by JJE-187; 10-18-03 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 08:48 PM

Ric, I was going to order printouts of your coveart on dvdcoverart.com when I realized they were for the 2-disc editions. Would it be too much to ask if you can reconfigure them for the extended editions to fit a 4/5 disc alpha case? They are beautiful cover arts. I prefer them than the current artwork. I have replaced all of my snappers and digipacks with Amaray II cases by purchasing covers in that website. If it's too much trouble forget it.
Old 10-19-03, 10:08 AM

flipn,

I'll see about doing Extended Versions of those LOTR covers. The main problem is I have to re-build those runes so that they reach around a bigger spine. Maybe I'll do it after the release of The Two Towers.

JJE-187,

So you want two sets of 2 disc covers for the EE? One set for the movie and the other for the extras, I suppose? Hmmm, I'm not sure about that one. But I'll see if I get inspired.

BTW, If you haven't already, Its always good to also make offficial requests over at DVDCA. That way, they would be more liable to accept such a specific job, that may only be a slight variation of an existing cover. Plus we get extra credits when uploading requests!

Another BTW, Have you folks seen Dagon's LOTR covers for the Extended editions? They are really quite beautiful. I did my own series based on the Alan Lee Illustrated books, but these are really nice, and I have been thinking of switching to his!

Ric
Old 10-20-03, 12:32 PM

Just added a new Star Trek series of covers to the top. They are now ready for download from the friendly folks at Home Theater Forum on this page

They also should be appearing on DVDCA as soon as I get around to uploading them

Ric
Old 10-23-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man, I'm not even a Star Trek fan, but those covers almost make me want to be one.

Beautiful work!

Ever consider doing something similar with The X-Files, Buffy or Angel?
Old 10-24-03, 11:19 PM

Thanks, Alien!

FYI... I just added two Battlestar Galactica covers to the top of this thread. They are now available at my site.

Ric
Old 10-25-03, 10:43 AM

Thanks again for those BG covers, Ric!
Old 10-25-03, 08:36 PM
Cool New Member

Ric,
Thanks for the great BG covers. I was wondering if you can add the UPC code to the upper right of the back cover to your first BG cover.

I really hope are you planning to do the oversized booklet as an insert for this DVD Set.
Old 10-25-03, 10:20 PM

Rl3058,

I'm sorry, I have a great aversion to those ugly UPC codes and will probably never put them on one of my custom covers.

As for a booklet, I really don't know. How many folks have the ability to priny them up and fasten them together correctly?

Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime down the road.

Ric
Old 10-26-03, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Andrea
Thanks again for those BG covers, Ric!
Yes, amazing timing. I was just looking for something like that.

Thanks.

I'm a big fan of your TNG and DS9 covers. How about something for Babylon 5?

BTW, there are requests for the BG covers at DVDCA, and I just added one for B5 if you’re interested in doing a set of those.

And there’s a request for the BG booklet. I agree that few would have the resources to put one together correctly. But how ‘bout a single-page insert-sized, umm, insert?
Old 10-27-03, 08:21 AM

No plans right now for Babylon 5. I kind of like the cover art as it is, and would probably only end up doing conversions of the existing for 6 disc cases... which some folks at DVDCA have already done!

As for a BG booklet or insert...

Here is my attempt at a 4 page (one sheet with printing on both sides) insert.

Bigger views of...
Page 1
Pages 2 and 3
Page 4

Pages 1 and 4 are actually on the same file with page one being on the right. I am just showing them like this so that they are in order.

The links should be showing up a little bigger than actual size, but should print the right size. As you can see the text is pretty small. I printed them up and these tired old eyes have to squint, you may have better luck.

If this is something you think I should persue, let me know and I can at least make them available on my site. I'm not sure how involved DVDCA wants to get in the multi-page insert dept. Most of theirs are the one page single side catagory.

BTW, to get everything to line up correctly, I outer pages 1 and 4... and then had to turn the inside page (2 and 3) upside down in Photoshop (rotate 180 degrees) to get it to print properly. I guess its a peculiarity of landscape mode!

I was originally going to try for an 8 page booklet (2 sheets stapled together) but as I said, I think this would be beyond most people's means to put it together.

Ric

Last edited by Ric Easton; 10-27-03 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-27-03, 04:15 PM
Cool New Member

Ric,
I for one would like you to persue the insert.
Old 11-18-03, 11:00 PM

Ric,

Please consider making 6 disc versions of your LOTR covers for both the theatrical and EEs. I really like your versions based on the novels, but prefer the theatrical posters. The 2 disc versions are awesome and I, for one, would love to see 6 disc versions of those.
Old 11-18-03, 11:06 PM

Would you settle for just a four disc version for the EE's?

Bigger Version

I'll be working on The Two Towers soon, and here was an early version of RotK...

Ric

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.