Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need some GBA advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Need some GBA advice

I received an Onyx SP this weekend from my wife as a B-Day gift. This is the first time I've owned an SP, my original GBA system I used as trade-in on my Xbox purchase a few months back, which now I regret doing. Maybe it's just me but I don't like this thing. Yeah, having the internal light is cool but the size of this thing is too small and doesn't work well with someone with big hands such as myself. Plus the internal light seems to 'wash out' the colors of the games.

My brother brought over his Glacier GBA this weekend and we hooked up FFTA. After awhile I told him let's switch GBA's and I found myself using his sytem the rest of the evening...we played roughly 4 hours...by the way FFTA kicksass He had one of those flood lights attached to his system which I thought did a great job of lighting the GBA w/o losing any color of the games..no 'wash-out' look.

So, I've decided I'm returning my SP and picking up the 'old' GBA system with one of those flood lights...if I can find one. Now as far as color goes, usually it's just a matter of preference but does anyone find that the Glacier GBA allows more light in because it's somewhat transparent? I was considering getting a black GBA from Toys R Us but I'm reluctant because of it being a solid color...maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and color means nothing...I just thought the Glacier GBA made the screen look brighter. Any suggestions, Opinions?

By the way, I don't regret owning the XBox...I just regret using my GBA as trade-in...I'm loving my XBox system so far

Last edited by Setzer; 09-15-03 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-15-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Trading a black SP for an oldstyle GBA?

Here's a suggestion: Make this the week you stop sniffing glue.

Seriously though, I don't have huge hands, but they're decent sized and I have no problems holding. The fact that it's backlit makes it worth any other problem in my opinion. Also, the new shape making it even more portable is worth it too.

Give it a little while, I think you'll grow to like it.
Old 09-15-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll trade you a Glacier GBA (with power adapter) for your SP
Old 09-15-03, 12:04 PM

I'm sorry but the SP doesn't feel right in my hands. The L&R buttons are too small the internal light washes out the colors. Some people may like it but personally I think it sucks.

Why is trading an SP in on a regular GBA system such a big deal? It's not like the SP is a more 'advanced' system...they're both the same system except one is smaller and has an internal light built in.
Old 09-15-03, 12:12 PM

Oh and one other thing...Dust! I pulled my SP out of the box and there was already some dust I could see and there's nothing you can do about it. With the GBA you could lift the screen up and shoot some air inside....problem solved. Even the screen is replaceable if it ever gets scratched. You're pretty much SOL with the SP.
Old 09-15-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I felt the same way about the SP at first, but I gave it a chance and got used to it.. not so much for the light but for the battery. That's already saved me a lot of bling.

But yeah.. the old one is much more comfortable to hold.
Old 09-15-03, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
I'll trade you a Glacier GBA (with power adapter) for your SP
No thanks. I take it your GBA is used? The SP is new and $40 more. Tell you what, you throw in a copy of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis and we have a deal
Old 09-15-03, 12:36 PM

double post...sorry.
Old 09-15-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remeber 1st time i played GBA SP is really PIss meeeh off... but after I beating Warior 4 & Donkey Kong Country ... I think GBA SP is the Best compare to old GBA.

So, take ur time & u'll get used w/ SP

Beside, I don't think nobody here going trade ur SP for Used GBA w/ Tactic Orge & Castlevania: HOD ... these 2 games are now getting hard to find in STORE.
Old 09-15-03, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Remeber 1st time i played GBA SP is really PIss meeeh off... but after I beating Warior 4 & Donkey Kong Country ... I think GBA SP is the Best compare to old GBA.

So, take ur time & u'll get used w/ SP

Beside, I don't think nobody here going trade ur SP for Used GBA w/ Tactic Orge & Castlevania: HOD ... these 2 games are now getting hard to find in STORE.
I realize that. I was being ridiculous with my offer because he was making a ridiculous offer.
Old 09-15-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could throw in Sonic Advance
Old 09-15-03, 06:59 PM

I'll give you a Platinum GBA w/ Zelda: Link to the Past and $20 dollars for it.
Old 09-16-03, 01:37 AM
Banned

I'm glad people are slowly realizing the SP blows.

Washed out colors, awkward buttons and terrble ergonomics are not something I need in a portable.

Sometimes you just have to come to the conclusion that most people just have no idea how to light their houses. People, 20 watt bulbs and candles just won't do.
Old 09-16-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Revoltor
I'm glad people are slowly realizing the SP blows.

Washed out colors, awkward buttons and terrble ergonomics are not something I need in a portable.

Sometimes you just have to come to the conclusion that most people just have no idea how to light their houses. People, 20 watt bulbs and candles just won't do.
I thought the transition between the regular advance and the SP would be hard, but it's not. I actually have small hands, so it's easier for me to manage. The portability is a big plus, and the clamshell design is stellar. I never had lighting problems at home, just on the go.
Old 09-16-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Setzer
No thanks. I take it your GBA is used? The SP is new and $40 more. Tell you what, you throw in a copy of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance and Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis and we have a deal
Wow, this is such a strange coincidence...i can't believe i ran into you on this forum!

And why are you asking for Tactics Ogre? i just traded it to you
Old 09-16-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The SP just takes some time to get used to. For us commuter types, the SP is the greatest thing since tape.
Old 09-16-03, 08:50 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The SP is the what the GBA should of been from day 1.

I was always disapointed with my GBA -- even with a halo flood light the colors were just so dull. Even with an airplane light it was never bright enough. Also it was way too heavy, especially with a light attached to it. Laying in bed in the dark requires the light to be attached and it made my hands tired because it got so HEAVY. The SP is LIGHT and i can lay on my back in the dark and play it till i get tired without hurting my hands.

Battery life is amazing too! I LOVE MY GBA SP!

Last edited by Save Ferris; 09-16-03 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-16-03, 10:04 AM
Banned

MTA buses and subways provide perfect lighting.

And to anyone that says the SP is more comfortable to hold is obviously full of poop.
Old 09-16-03, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Revoltor
And to anyone that says the SP is more comfortable to hold is obviously full of poop.
Amen!
Old 09-16-03, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Superboy
Wow, this is such a strange coincidence...i can't believe i ran into you on this forum!

And why are you asking for Tactics Ogre? i just traded it to you
LOL! Small world, eh? Yeah, I was trying to think of some outrageous deal to counter his, which was his used GBA for my new SP. So I thought of the first 2 GBA games I've been recently seeking and asked for that, knowing there was no way he would agree to such a deal as I would never agree to his
Old 09-16-03, 02:18 PM
Wag

I am a recent convert to the GBA SP from the regular GBA. I would never go back.

However I understand what you are talking about with the ergonomics. I have average sized hands, but it is a bit uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time. Whereas the GBA was fine. On a whim I tried the Ergo Grips SP from Mad Catz

http://www.madcatz.com/MadCatz/produ...roduct_id=2800

Yeah they look goofy, but attach and come off real easy for storage, and they make the system WAY more comfortable for me. I bought mine for $5 at Target, and it was way worth it. You might want to give that a try?
Old 09-16-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I could be inside the frikkin sun, and I would still have problems playing any previous model of Gameboy. I have no problems at all with the SP. Could it be more ergonomic? maybe. But I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just like something extremely portable but with some power and a library. And the fact that it's so light helps to not strain your hands so much. Besides, the Gameboy was a big rectangle for the first 10-11 years of it's life and people survived.
Old 09-16-03, 03:55 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont see why on earth people put up with the GBA screen with no back lighting. Even in bright light the LCD screen was DULL DULL DULL.
Old 09-16-03, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I dont see why on earth people put up with the GBA screen with no back lighting. Even in bright light the LCD screen was DULL DULL DULL.
I never had that problem. Never have I needed direct sunlight or any direct light source for that matter to play my GBA and I never found the LCD screen to be 'dull' even w/o direct light. Yes, I needed a light attachment when playing in low lit rooms or in the dark but even the light attachments didn't 'wash' out the color of the games.

Now, you want to talk about 'dull'?? The SP, with the light on, totally washes the colors out. Yeah, it's nice to have an internal lighting source but even a GBA with the Afterburner installed correctly looks better than the SP does. Plus, the GBA is more comfortable to hold..the shoulder buttons are placed in a great spot and are longer unlike the small little corner ones on the SP. But hey, it's all about personal preference, you go with what works for you.

Oh and by the way, you said you didn't understand how people could put up with the GBA with no back lighting? Well, if you think the SP uses back lighting then you were misinformed. The SP uses a frontlight, which is similar to that of the Afterburner and because it's a front light and not a back light is the reason you have colors that are 'washed' out.

Last edited by Setzer; 09-16-03 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-16-03, 04:55 PM

/sigh

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.