Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Apocalypse Now SE?

Apocalypse Now SE?

Old 09-14-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apocalypse Now SE?

Why doesn't Coppola give Apocalypse Now the same treatment he gave the Godfather Trilogy? Only two measly DVDs (regular and redux) and all he gave was a commentary on 1 scene, and the trailers that's pretty sad for one of those movies that's regarded as sacred.
My ideal version would be this:
  • 2 Disc Set
  • Cover would be just like Godfather Trilogy with all the black, except instead of the Godfather symbol, it would be replaced with the Apocalypse Now words in red font
  • 1st disc would be the movie, ORIGINAL version, best visuals/sound
  • 2nd disc would be ALL extras.
  • extras: Hearts of Darkness: A filmmakers Apocalypse which would be the perfect making of documentary
  • extras:Scene by scene commentary just like in Godfather
  • extras: deleted scenes
  • extras: stills/storyboards
  • extras: including all REDUX scenes
  • scene selection
  • extras: cast/crew interviews
  • extras: Coppola's Heart of Darkness inspiration
  • extras:trailer
  • easter eggs

We can only dream :-/
Old 09-14-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah that sounds pretty sweet but while we're fantasizing why not just put the Redux version in there as well? I'm part of the small minority that liked that version better anyway.
Old 09-14-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Hell yeah. Why not? If we can get a 3-disc Windtalkers. we should get this.
Old 09-14-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Apocalypse Now SE?

Originally posted by duff beer
We can only dream :-/
Very true...even if all those features you desired were put onto DVD i'm very sure it wouldn't all be in one package but maybe specific to certain other regions other than R1 as what tends to be the case...whereby you quite often have to be region free and double dip to own any kind of 'definitive' edition.
Old 09-14-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about getting the movie in OAR? Coppola wants us to see it at 2:20 instead of 2:35 for a bad reason.
Old 09-14-03, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Yawn. As if the 1 disc version didn't put you to sleep already, you have to ask for a 3 disc version. Man, talking about huge savings on insomnia medication.
Old 09-14-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Yawn. As if the 1 disc version didn't put you to sleep already, you have to ask for a 3 disc version. Man, talking about huge savings on insomnia medication.
Come on...admit it.....if it was released in a 'military bag' type of package with dog-tags in a limited edition of 500 you'd be one of the first to buy it as i'm sure you've heard of E-bay
Old 09-14-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

also while i'm dreaming i like to think 'realistic' dreaming by something that can be done logically and market wise, meaning they wont have to spend money to make a dvd with faulty or loopy things like making a AN:SE and one that is Redux, i figured the Redux were left out scenes that Coppola added and called the thing Redux, sort of like the STar Wars special edition sort of wanting the mint and unchanged thing over the one that has been upgraded and changed from its original, many fans prefer the original over the updated, and since redux is just a couple new scenes those can be added in the extras and viewed comfortably by those that like the redux more!
Old 09-14-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think we all have wanted Hearts of darkness on DVD for some time now. best place to look for it right now though is the LD.

As for special edition, I can't think of anything more special then the Apocalypse Now Redux Wine Edition.
Old 09-14-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Next year is the 25th Anniversary of this masterpiece.

If Paramount is smart, they are hard at work gathering materials for the DVD.
Old 09-14-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They already said that there will be another DVD comming out. Where has everyone been? Before Redux even hit the shelves the reviewers said that another release was in the works.
Old 09-14-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what.... WHAT?!?!?!?
no f'n way.
Well... hopefully they will be smart and not fug up this gem of a dvd and give the fans what they want. My advice is that they add all the things i listed.
This dvd has the caliber to become as great as the Godfather DVD.
Old 09-15-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I really hope they include Hearts of Darkness and Redux in the same package. That way you can watch the part in HoD where Coppolla gathers all the actors from the French plantation scene pretty much right after he films it and tells them he knows right there and then that all their scenes are getting cut. Then, you can watch Redux where said crappy scenes are back in!
Old 09-15-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Unless the title has the words "Star" and "Trek" in it, Paramount rarely double-dips, even in cases where an old and inferior DVD desperately needs a remaster.

If they were going to do anything special for Apocalypse Now, they would have done it when Redux was released.
Old 09-15-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would bet that Hearts of Darkness will be released on its own rather than being included in a SE of AN, unless the price for the set is jacked up to a higher level than usual (even for Paramount).
Old 09-15-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
If they were going to do anything special for Apocalypse Now, they would have done it when Redux was released.
Not true. Zoetrope has tons of AN material, but Coppolla wanst to do a proper SE when he sets aside enough time for it, a la the Godfather release. He was pressured into releasing Redux on DVD by Paramount, who wanted a regular theater-to-video window so that they could cash in on Redux's accolades.
Old 09-15-03, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
... Coppola wants to do a proper SE when he sets aside enough time for it, a la the Godfather release. He was pressured into releasing Redux on DVD by Paramount
I thought I'd read that Coppola wanted the Redux as the definitive version & that the original theatrical version was to be moth-balled; so to speak

Could you just image the size of Brando's floating head on the cover of a multi-disc SE?

Last edited by bigE; 09-15-03 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Coppolla wanst to do a proper SE when he sets aside enough time for it, a la the Godfather release.
I guess Coppola HASN'T forgotten about AN.
If this movie gets to have a great DVD like how great Godfather DVD was. Then this DVD will be my prized possession. Now the only enemy is time. But alas, it makes me feel good that i know he's using that time to completely perfect that dvd. Coppola! If you're reading this you'd better include all the stuff i listed!
Old 09-15-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by bigE
I thought I'd read that Coppola wanted the Redux as the definitive version & that the original theatrical version was to be moth-balled; so to speak
Officially, instead of just adding the new footage to the old film, they went back to all the old dailies and recut the film as though it was a brand new film. Some takes were from the original, some were new takes. Apparently they had to cut into the original negative when the takes used had previously been used (I'd bet a vast majority), so the old Apocolypse Now no longer exists as an original negative.
Old 09-15-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
As long as any future AN disc comes at the bottom of a wine bottle in a little case there, I wont buy it.
Old 09-16-03, 01:39 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by RichDB10
Come on...admit it.....if it was released in a 'military bag' type of package with dog-tags in a limited edition of 500 you'd be one of the first to buy it as i'm sure you've heard of E-bay
Well, in that case, where do I line up?
Old 09-16-03, 05:36 AM

I also believe Apocalypse Now will get a Special Edition next year. If the Outsiders can get such grand treatment there aint no reason why AN will not get the same.
Old 09-16-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have to sell my Apocalypse Now Redux DVD before the SE comes out
Old 11-09-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really hope this film will get a SE release next year. 25th Anniversary SE makes perfect sense to me.
Old 11-10-03, 12:34 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nothing's been announced yet, other than Zoetrope's press release at the time Redux came out saying that a special edition was in the works.

25th Anniversary Edition would make a whole lotta sense, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.