Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Leni Riefenstahl

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Leni Riefenstahl

Old 09-09-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 828 Posts
RIP Leni Riefenstahl

Hitler's hired hand and master fimmaker Leni Riefenstahl died today in her home at the age of 101. Probably one of the most controversial figures in the history of cinema. For some insight on her life I suggest Ray Muller's long but insightful documentary: The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (1993) available on DVD (Kino).

Riefenstahl, born in 1902 and alive at this writing in fall 1999, presents an extremely problematic case — an artist of unparalleled gifts, a woman in an industry dominated by men, one of the great formalists of the cinema on a par with Eisenstein or Welles whose two major works were funded by, and intended to glorify, the Nazis. Triumph of the Will (1935), a deification of Hitler, and Olympia (1938), a paean to the "body beautiful" in the guise of a record of the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, are studied in film schools as supreme examples of the documentary form. Riefenstahl’s status as a filmmaker is unquestioned, even when her motives are obscured. She says she was never a Nazi party member, and never anti-Semitic. At Nuremberg, she was labeled a sympathizer but not an activist. On the other hand, her denial of using gypsy concentration camp members as extras in her film Tiefland is undermined by a requisition list, shown in close-up in The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl, that names these people and the purpose for their brief transfer from the camp to her sets.

Still, a case can be made for Riefenstahl as an artist so obsessed with the need to create something perfect and transcendent that she allowed herself to ignore, if not become complicit with, cataclysmic historical forces.
Old 09-09-03, 12:38 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a shame that all that talent was used to serve evil.
Old 09-09-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's another article from Yahoo. I couldn't agree more with bhk.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...riefenstahl_dc
Old 09-09-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 828 Posts
Originally posted by bhk
It is a shame that all that talent was used to serve evil.
You could also argue the reverse. It's shame that with all that talent, she has and will be remembered only because of "Triumph of the Will".
Old 09-09-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by eXcentris
You could also argue the reverse. It's shame that with all that talent, she has and will be remembered only because of "Triumph of the Will".
Word.
Old 09-09-03, 01:27 PM
Suspended

'dolph may have been a complete nutjob, but you have to admit that he knew how to spin the PR machine, and get some good talent in the process.
Old 09-09-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
'dolph may have been a complete nutjob, but you have to admit that he knew how to spin the PR machine, and get some good talent in the process.
I agree. Dolph Lundgren surrounds himself with only the best which is why we have classics such as Rocky 4, Showdown in Little Tokyo and the original "The Punisher". I don't recall him working with Leni though.
Old 09-09-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Feh. Great filmmaker, but good riddance.
Old 09-09-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: RIP Leni Riefenstahl

Originally posted by eXcentris
For some insight on her life I suggest Ray Muller's long but insightful documentary: The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (1993) available on DVD (Kino).
The Sundance Channel has also been running the documentary this month (weird coincidence). They still have showings on Wednesday the 10th at 8:10 p.m. (EST), Monday the 15th at 7:35 p.m. (EST), and Sunday the 21st at 9:45 p.m. (EST) for anyone interested.
Old 09-09-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, Triumph of the Will (and one 1-reeler) were the only Nazi films she made. And even that one was made before the **** really hit the fan in Germany and Europe.

But go ahead and label her as Hitler's girlfriend. I guess the truth isn't as nice.
Old 09-09-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Indeed, after she made Triumph of the Will, in the midst of Nazi Germany, she made a film about the evils of fascism and authoritarianism in protest of what her country was doing. The movie, from what I have heard, was largely ignored by the world.
Old 09-09-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
It's too easy to totally dismiss her with a flip comment like "good riddance" or "she served evil" I think. Unless any of you had lived her life, I don't know if we're qualified to judge. Life is a lot more complicated than summary judgments allow.
Old 09-09-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Hey, Leni, don't let the door to hell hit you in the ass on the way down there!
Old 09-09-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember watching Triumph of the Will last year in my History of the Holocaust class. Quite a piece if I do say so myself. As in Propaganda, it worked very well I assume, but then again we knew what points we were looking for.
Old 09-09-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts
I watched The Wonderful Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl in the university theater a few years ago. I mentioned it to my next door neighbor, who had been an adult in Germany at that time, and was one of the most polite, dignified people I've ever met. When she heard Riefenstahl's name, I thought she was going to spit. "That Nazi!" She had suffered from the Nazis, and had no doubt where Riefenstahl stood.
Old 09-09-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's too easy to totally dismiss her with a flip comment like "good riddance" or "she served evil" I think.
For the record, I'd have the same response to Stalin's cabana boy.

Incidentally, it's not as if the Nazis were a bunch of swell guys with no racist, genocidal, and fascist tendencies until they invaded Czechoslovakia. Their agenda was proudly worn on their brown sleeves long before they ever achieved power in Germany. Take a gander at Mein Kampf if you don't believe me.

So Riefenstahl, eager and more than willing to work with this swell, people-oriented organization, suddenly had the gall to act shocked when word of their atrocities leaked out?

Again: Good f*****g riddance. One less piece of trash in the world.
Old 09-10-03, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who would say "She will be missed" when she's already been dead for 70 years? It seems more like "She's been missed" would be more appropriate.

Her films Olympia and Triumph of the Will are unquestionably masterfull. The editing and photography, the grandure and the glory. But what happened? She made 2 great films in the '30s and then lived another SEVENTY YEARS (!) where she acomplished nothing, made nothing of value, recieved no distribution, had no audience. She should have just killed herself. Her sad LOOOOONG life is probably the most tragic example of artistic genius squandered to nothing.

Perhaps the world would have forgiven her past if she'd spent the last 70 years doing something to show she had value outside of being the most brilliant propagandist in history.

Last edited by Pants; 09-10-03 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-10-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
BTW, she's gone on record to say that TOTW is NOT propaganda.

Nazis should not rest in peace.
Old 09-10-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts
Ebert had an interesting little article about her up today.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/eb-fe...r-xrief10.html
Old 09-10-03, 09:23 PM

How is this any differenct from good old Roman Polanski? If you supported his standing O at the Oscars, then you should praise Riefenstahl. If you didn't (barring artistic tastes) than how can you not give her credit for the talent and work she did?
Old 09-10-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
How is this any differenct from good old Roman Polanski? If you supported his standing O at the Oscars, then you should praise Riefenstahl. If you didn't (barring artistic tastes) than how can you not give her credit for the talent and work she did?

As if one thing as anything to do with the other.

But to play your game:

This means no one should ever listen to timeless works of Wagner. Or watch the films at Woody Allen or Fatty Arbuckle. Or listen to anything by Public Enemy, Enimem, hell even the goddamn Dixe Chicks...

No one in this thread has ever suggested that her work should be dismissed, banned, destroyed, boycotted, etc..

Many of us who are saying good riddance to this Teutonic Twat are doing so because she gleefully worked to propagandize the most diabolical regime the 20th Century ever had to endure. And she did it willingly. Gratefully. It was the opportunity of the lifetime for a young actress/filmmaker in 1930s Germany.

And the Nazi party -- even in 1934 -- was already well-established as being viciously brutal, fascistic, and racist as hell. Riefenstahl knew this. I'm not saying that she was aware that the Nazi regime was planning the ritual genocide upwards of 9 million Jews, Gypsies, Communists, and homosexuals, but she knew they were far from the frickin' Boy Scouts.

And, as I mentioned before, she had the nerve to act surprised when word of their atrocities leaked out.

I think everyone should see both Olympia and Triumph of the Will. They are powerful, important, and lasting pieces of art and powerhouse filmmaking.

But even with Rifenstahl dead, I still wouldn't crap on the best part of her.
Old 09-10-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PS: And I'd never stand up for Polanski. He's one of the greatest directors of our age, but that piece of filth is best off staying in France. His behavior and actions were abhorrent. Yet, Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby kick serious tail. Love the movies. Loathe the guy.

See how easy that was?
Old 09-10-03, 10:45 PM

Matt....I agree with you. My point was more to villify Polanski than anything. I wasn't posting an counterpoint to anything said (although the shite totaly looks like it)...I just meant to bring up the subject. My real point is that the work is seperate from everything else....and I say good ridance to Riefenstahl and I would surely beat the crap out of Polanski and would come close to anyone who stood for him (since this was obviously a distinction between the work and the man). Please relpy if you support Polanski and/or his work and don't support Riefenstahl's.

Actually I guess my main argument could be seen as that of 'the Standing O's was for the MAN and completey inapproiate'...but that is wrong and for another thread and I don't think complete encompasses all there is.
Old 09-11-03, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Who would say "She will be missed" when she's already been dead for 70 years? It seems more like "She's been missed" would be more appropriate.

Her films Olympia and Triumph of the Will are unquestionably masterfull. The editing and photography, the grandure and the glory. But what happened? She made 2 great films in the '30s and then lived another SEVENTY YEARS (!) where she acomplished nothing, made nothing of value, recieved no distribution, had no audience. She should have just killed herself. Her sad LOOOOONG life is probably the most tragic example of artistic genius squandered to nothing.

Perhaps the world would have forgiven her past if she'd spent the last 70 years doing something to show she had value outside of being the most brilliant propagandist in history.

awesome post.

it's funny, people worship this woman but bitch and moan to high heaven when John Singleton gets a star on Hollywood blvd for his short career.

not comparing the 2 mind you.
Old 09-11-03, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It would be an "awesome post" if you knew, or cared, about her life other than what you just read for 5 minutes in the paper. Most of you didn't even KNOW who she was before she died.

I know it is moot, but she had a fantastic life and career afterwards. Her pictures of the Nuba people were truly beautiful - I remembered seeing them during my Anthropology classes. She was widely published as a photographer, and was awarded by African nations for her work to bring these people into global consciousness.

From all accounts, she was never a racist. Also, I have tremendous respect for her as an artist, and a woman who never lost her spirit despite whatever boycott or blacklisting she faced. I do not condone her past actions, but I will not write her off, like many of you have done, with little knowledge of her work.

I wonder how many of you have seen "Triumph of the Will" or "Tiefland"?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.