Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My Fair Lady

Old 09-11-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Fair Lady

I've watched this movie since I was just a kid --- to show how young, I saw it for the first time on HBO, but after the first hour-and-a-half there was a 15-minute intermission. Not 15 minutes filled with commercials or anything visual, no! A marquee sign that said "Intermission!" And, least I forget, a big buzz sound throughout it all. Sheesh!

I'm not a gay man (I swear) - but I love this movie. I once read that you're a gay man if, a) you have a picture of your cat in a frame; b) if you have a favorite musical. F-you, mo'fo's! I have both a) and b), thank you very much. I have my cat Rocky framed, and I love My Fair Lady.

The ending gets me particularly. Higgins returns to his home (apparently void of Pickering and various housekeepers, unless they're asleep), missing Eliza Dolittle immensely. He sulks in the room, puts on the old victrola with Eliza's voice when she first met him, and sits to listen. Behind him walks in the lovely Eliza (Audrey Hepburn), unseen. She mutters something, out of tune with the victrola, and Higgins (Rex Harrison) raises his head, ready to reel towards her. He wants to grip her, hold her, hug her, kiss her, embrace her and whisper and shout sweet nothings to her --------- but he conducts himself appropriately, and in a dignified manner, demands to know where his slippers are.

I believe that this is the most cinematic perfect ending there ever was, mainly because it is the most unexpected ending there ever was! You see, true love is not like it is in the movies (we all know that), and this movie shows you that this is so. By Higgins acting like his regular self, holding back his emotions, it shows that he is being "regular." Real life, men act "regular." Most women expect the dashing, "Freddie"-type, to fawn over them, to shower them with emotion, and the such, but in reality, men act just like Professor Higgins -- brash, critical, but solid. You know that his bark is worse than his bite, and such are the beings called Men. We are Higgins, true-and-true, and good women like Eliza Dolittle recognize that.

Bravo! My one and only question................why didn't Julie Andrews reprise her role as Eliza Dolittle in the film version of My Fair Lady, since she did the role in the theater before the film version? Was she committed elsewhere?
Old 09-11-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: My Fair Lady

Originally posted by Buttmunker
Bravo! My one and only question................why didn't Julie Andrews reprise her role as Eliza Dolittle in the film version of My Fair Lady, since she did the role in the theater before the film version? Was she committed elsewhere?
The producers of My Fair Lady refused to give Julie the part. She'd never appeared in a theatrical movie and they were afraid she wasn't a big enough name. She got her revenge by doing Mary Poppins the same year and getting the Academy Award (and I think the Academy gave her a lot of sympathy). Audrey Hepburn wasn't even nominated for MFL (again, I think the Academy was "punishing" her for taking Julie's part because Audrey certainly deserved at least a nomination). But Julie was reportedly heartbroken by not getting the Eliza part which she deserved.

BTW, another heterosexual male here who also loves this movie. One of the greatest musicals ever.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Fair_Lady
The lead role in the film was originally intended for Julie Andrews, who played Eliza in the stage version. Hepburn was cast, despite lobbying from Lerner, because Warner Brothers didn't want to cast a stage actress. Opera singer Marni Nixon was cast to dub Hepburn's songs. Julie Andrews in fact became a screen star in her own right that same year in Mary Poppins.

Last edited by movielib; 09-11-03 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: My Fair Lady

I once read that you're a gay man if, a) you have a picture of your cat in a frame; b) if you have a favorite musical.
A) Not only in a frame, but it's a heart-shaped frame, baby!
B) West Side Story is not only my favorite musical, but my favorite movie. Don't worry, MFL is in my top 10 musicals.

Now tell me where you read that so I can hit the writer with my purse.

Honk!
Old 09-12-03, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: My Fair Lady

Originally posted by movielib
Audrey Hepburn wasn't even nominated for MFL (again, I think the Academy was "punishing" her for taking Julie's part because Audrey certainly deserved at least a nomination).
Audrey Hepburn wasn't nominated for the Oscar because she didn't sing. Someone else sang while she lipsynced. Rex Harrison did sing his own songs, that was why he was considered for the Oscar, and ultimately, won.
Old 09-12-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: My Fair Lady

Audrey Hepburn wasn't nominated for the Oscar because she didn't sing. Someone else sang while she lipsynced. Rex Harrison did sing his own songs, that was why he was considered for the Oscar, and ultimately, won.
I, of course, know Hepburn didn't sing but I don't think that in any way disqualified her for an acting nomination. She was marvelous, better than Andrews in Mary Poppins, IMO.

Deborah Kerr's singing in The King and I was also dubbed by Marni Nixon and Kerr was nominated. I stand by my opinion that many members of the Academy snubbed Hepburn for taking the part they felt belonged to Andrews. I think Andrews deserved the role but that was no reason to hold it against Hepburn for taking it.
Old 09-12-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Well now, we could hardly call Harrison's work "singing", can we?

Yes I know, he was "talking in pitch", and performed it himself, and yes, created the definitive Henry Higgins in perhaps his most endearing role, and... crap, here comes Soda Monkey.
Old 09-12-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I LOOOOVE this film.
Old 09-12-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A great film. I don't have a cat, I have a number of favourite musical, and I'm proud to say that I'm all straight.
Old 09-12-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also like My Fair Lady very much and I'm not a gay person. I think there are people who think one is gay just because they enjoy certain type of movies. For example, once I told a person that I enjoyed the movie, Dirty Dancing. He then said I must be gay because the only male who enjoy the movie are gay.
Old 09-12-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
I have two cats and love musicals. Straight as an arrow. Flaming hetero. Except for those four guys and the llama.

Don't believe me? I'll break you with my bare hands!!!
Old 09-12-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mookiemeister
I also like My Fair Lady very much and I'm not a gay person. I think there are people who think one is gay just because they enjoy certain type of movies. For example, once I told a person that I enjoyed the movie, Dirty Dancing. He then said I must be gay because the only male who enjoy the movie are gay.
Hmm .... in addition to musicals, I like most westerns, war movies, action, thrillers, horror flicks and sci-fi. I'm also a big baseball fan.

Sure hope all this doesn't make people think I'm straight.
Old 09-12-03, 10:37 PM
Suspended

This is one of my favorite musicals (mainly because of Harrison's great performance..) It does drag towards the end though. Also, I don't understand this ending. Is it saying that Henry will never change and will always treat Eliza so poorly?
Old 09-12-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I like the movie, but I kind of wish Eliza would blow Henry off at the end...he doesn't really deserve her.
Old 09-13-03, 02:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: My Fair Lady

As I understand it, Audrey sang but the producers/director/whatever higher up *******s decided to dub her voice over.
Old 09-13-03, 03:05 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

you rented the dvd right? its pretty good. full commentary, a song with audreys original voice and other special features

good stuff! and the transfer is quite good to boot! i saw it the first time on dvd and was happy i didn't watch it on one of those horrible pan and scam tv broadcasts

its amazing how good these old 70mm restored movies look on dvd and in their original aspect ratio

and yes i'm hetero. i dont' really like any other audrey movies either., but this ones good. i even bought it after i rented it. its ussually priced pretty good for a feature filled dvd too.

its quite nice seeing old movies on good feature filled dvds. lets you understand the movies in the context of their time and stuff thanks to the special features/ commentary.

Last edited by Aihyah; 09-13-03 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-13-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by seisui
As I understand it, Audrey sang but the producers/director/whatever higher up *******s decided to dub her voice over.
They gave it a try but Hepburn's voice simply wasn't good enough. If you listen to the tracks of her singing on the DVD, it's pretty clear the right choice was made. Still, I maintain that doesn't detract one bit from her marvelous performance.
Old 09-13-03, 11:21 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

yea, her voice doesn't cut it. its just that they hushed up the dub that was a controversy .
Old 09-14-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Its a good movie.