Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Producer Says 'Indy 4' Will Not Rely on CGI

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-09-03, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From IMDB.com

Indiana Jones producer Frank Marshall is determined to shun the current trends in movie making - insisting the upcoming fourth installment of the hit franchise will avoid using computer effects. Frank is adamant the sequel to the hit Harrison Ford adventure franchise will retain the tradition of its classic forerunners by utilizing real stunt work instead of high-tech graphics, giving it the feel of a B-movie. He says, "We didn't have computer effects in those days, we couldn't easily erase things and I think one of the unfortunate by-products of the computer age is that it makes filmmakers lazy. You become more creative when you have to hide ramps with a tree rather than erase it later as you can today. In Raiders Of The Lost Ark, that's a real ball rolling behind him so Harrison really is in some danger running in front of that; these are real situations and that adds to the excitement and the creative energy on the set. When you start getting into computers you get fantastical situations like in The Matrix or movies like that. We don't want that, we want exciting heroism, we want seat-of-your-pants, skin-of-your-teeth action. We didn't have all the money in the world on the first films and we want to keep that B-movie feel. We want to make Indiana Jones 4 like we made the first three."
Regardless, CGI or no CGI, I'm still very sceptical about how good this will be...
Old 09-09-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Good grief. I'm all for a character driven action film that doesn't rely exclusively on special effects, but to throw away the tool of CGI out of some warped sense of movie making elitism is just silly.
Old 09-09-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is good news. CGI is not bad if used correctly. Unfortunatley it is more often than not used uncorrectly.
Old 09-09-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. Lucas still is behind this after all, in some way or another.
Old 09-10-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't mind CGI when it's done well, and I think Spielberg has proved he's one of the few who knows what the FX house is doing.

95% of the time, though, CGI looks terrible, or not terrible but still obvious.

I'm pleased at Marshall's plan DAMN I'M FUNNY THAT WAS A HISTORY JOKE. B-movie feel though? Ah... that's not the feeling I ever got. How many Corman movies do YOU know that had underground caves stafed with hundreds of thugees?
Old 09-10-03, 07:57 AM

What really bothers me about that news clipping is that a movie without CGI is considered, at least by this producer, as a "B-movie". Worse still, he implies that the first 3 movies should now be considered as such. Eek.
Old 09-10-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man.. I'm pumped. I can't wait to see Ford racing from that boulder in his wheelchair.
Old 09-10-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
Hip hip! Hooray! After seeing CGI in new Star Wars films, I hope things remain consistant with Indy like Marshell says in that article.

Originally posted by angryyoungman
What really bothers me about that news clipping is that a movie without CGI is considered, at least by this producer, as a "B-movie". Worse still, he implies that the first 3 movies should now be considered as such. Eek.
That was what Lucas/Speilberg/Marshell were going for in the Indiana Jones movies. The excitment and situations from the adventure serials. He dosen't mean B-movie in a negative way. There is lots of things to love about them. CGI or no CGI isn't dictating what is a B-movie and what isn't.
Old 09-10-03, 12:02 PM

Didn't the first three movies use blue screen effects, though? The point is that the first three Indiana Jones movies used the best special effects available at the time (when necessary). Why wouldn't they want to use the best available this time? I think Mr. Marshall's been watching too many of George Lucas' films instead of those that use computer effects properly.
Old 09-10-03, 02:18 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Wonderful news.
Old 09-10-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great news. While I have no doubt CG effects will be used, at least we know they'll be used sparingly and only when necessary. Honestly I have no concerns about the effects work because Spielberg is just the best at using them, digital or not. I'm more concerned at whether Harrison Ford is up to playing the part. Let's hope.
Old 09-10-03, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Mr. Marshall's been watching too many of George Lucas' films instead of those that use computer effects properly.
Uh, since when is their a definition of proper use? The FX in the prequels are phenomenal and nominated for Oscar and VES awards. End of ****ing story.

But Indiana Jones is not the type of film that needs a lot of CGI in the first place. So it's not like Marshall is going out on a limb. Everything in an Indy movie can be replicated by landscapes and sets. Not so with something like Star Wars, the Matrix, or LOTR. Huge Difference. Then again, maybe they needed to use it in Temple of Doom with all of that godawful bluescreen optical compositing during the water sequence.
Old 09-10-03, 04:49 PM

This is doesn't mean much. They will have to use computer effects in many cases. The public demands more effects shots per film than in the Indy days, and much of the infrastructure for creating 80s style effects no longer exists. And no matter how you slice it, practical effects will end up costing much more than CGI for many things.

And computers are just plain superior at many tasks. Does it really make sense to use optical compositing, for example, when it's slower and more expensive than digital compositing, *and* produces inferior output? (Though I fully expect some effects curmudgeon to interject and say, "Back in the 80s our composite shots were dim and grainy, and dagnabit, that's the way we liked it!")

So what this really translates to is, "We don't plan to use computer effects, except of course for the cases where we will use computer effects."
Old 09-10-03, 06:13 PM

Lucas: We can just make a CGI world for Inday.

Spielberg: ANd why don't we throw in some clone troopers too, right? No Lucas this isn't about the CGI!
Old 09-10-03, 10:08 PM

First off. Great news on the no or very little CGI use for the film! I'm sick of CGI & Marshall was right about everything he said. From people being lazier today,to it just not looking right at all.

Originally posted by Terrell
Uh, since when is their a definition of proper use? The FX in the prequels are phenomenal and nominated for Oscar and VES awards. End of ****ing story.

The FX in the prequals are terrible! They look like cartoons,than actual 3-D alien beings & landscapes. It has a very superficial feel to it all. That I did not find any of the FX 'amazing'..& did not give a damn about ANY of the charecters because of both the bad writting & bad extensive overuse of cartoony CGI.

View the non-SE versions of the original trilogy & you will see superior FX work in at least you do care about the charecters,you don't mind the FX work,since the story is good & entertaining. It also has a certain nostalgic charm to it all,that the CGIed up SE's of the trilogy lack.

But Indiana Jones is not the type of film that needs a lot of CGI in the first place. So it's not like Marshall is going out on a limb. Everything in an Indy movie can be replicated by landscapes and sets. Not so with something like Star Wars, the Matrix, or LOTR. Huge Difference. Then again, maybe they needed to use it in Temple of Doom with all of that godawful bluescreen optical compositing during the water sequence.
Ummm what was that about Star Wars? See above about the original versions of the trilogy

I thought the FX in Temple of Doom were great despite being obvious! That again adds to the charm of the film. Had they looked pristine & cartoonish with CGI. That would take me out of the film as it would be even more unbelievably fake & shallow.

I have not seen the Lord of the Rings films yet. In that case. Yeah,seems like CGI has to be used with what they are going for. Oh wait,ever see Legend(1985)?. So Rings may have been possible with no CGI as well.

The Matrix since it takes place in a virtual world. Ok,CGI can be used. Yet still it's rather boring. You know it's not real. You know the 'agents' don't really die & thus the hyper-stylized nature of the action sequences & martial arts seems boring. Since you are never drawn into the film,the charecters or the setpieces. It's all superficial in the extreme. I was bored to death with the first film. None of the FX wowed me,as they looked CGI & I was never drawn into the film. This is a great example along with the new SWs trilogy of whats wrong with CGI today.

So if they don't use CGI in the new Indy or very little. I'm happy,though will the film turn out good or not remains to be seen?

Afterall it's been so many years. Spielberg is not the same great director he once was. So the 'charm' the original films have may be lost today. Yet we'll see.
Old 09-11-03, 02:38 PM

A good article on stuntwork in the digital age:

http://www.modbee.com/24hour/technol...-6959827c.html

It includes this funny little story:

"During a recent interview with "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno, actor Will Smith touted how "real" the stunts were in "Bad Boys II," including an action sequence in which he races a silver Ferrari across a traffic-packed bridge. The film's villains, who have stolen a semi filled with automobiles, begin flinging the cars onto the road.

"In this age of computer-generated images," Smith said proudly, director "Michael Bay went old-school and he shot the stunts for real."

That came as a shock to the staff at Sony Pictures Imageworks, the visual effects powerhouse in Culver City that handled more than 100 digital effects shots for the movie, including the bridge chase scene."

Old 09-11-03, 05:20 PM

Haha....that chase scene with the cars was so CGI!
Old 09-11-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the highway scene in Matrix Reloaded was non-CGI and it looked great!

Indiana Jones 4 could use a CGI Harrison Ford, IMO. The dude's way to old for movies like this.
Old 09-11-03, 08:40 PM

Harrison Ford has commented, Indy 4, wil take his age into account, he won't be trying to look younger, but more embracing his age.
Old 09-11-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
so we get to see fake looking mechanical stuff instead of CGI fake looking stuff

cool!
Old 09-12-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SeanValen
Harrison Ford has commented, Indy 4, wil take his age into account, he won't be trying to look younger, but more embracing his age.
Who wants to see Indy hobbling around, pushing a walker?
Old 09-12-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Thank god they're going this route. Don't want bad CGI claiming another series ...just look what it did to Die Another Day.
Old 09-12-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Old 09-12-03, 01:31 PM
Doctorwho

Oh great we get to see indy wearing a ear ring and riding a bycicle.
Old 09-12-03, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
This is great news. I'm still skeptical about a new Indy flick, but this is a step in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.