Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know where to get Lord of the Rings Props?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-08-02, 01:13 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

***NOTE: This is an old thread I'm bumping up...also, I'm talking about the actual props used in the movie, not replicas.***

In the 5+ hours of making of material (which was very entertaining stuff), they mention how they made all these props and how much detail went into them.

I did a quick search on google, but could only find a showing of a selection of them in a city somewhere in the US...and that was back in 2001. And also a story about ebay closing down some auctions for fake props.

Does anyone know if they have or will make these movie props available to the public for sale?

Last edited by Blade; 09-03-04 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-08-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I have seen many official replica swords and daggers, I'll try to find them for you. what specificlly are you looking for?
Old 12-08-02, 03:33 PM
lxl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also want to get a replica ring.
Old 12-08-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I want a replica of Legolas's fighting knives... those looked SWEET
Old 12-08-02, 07:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They had some pretty cool replicas up for sale in the "SkyMall" catalog on the airplane.
Old 12-08-02, 09:14 PM

Some of the actual props are on display in the ROM in Toronto...none of them are, i presume, for sale.

If you want replicas, im sure you can find them all over the net...i've seen replicas of the one ring for sale, as well as other stuff.
Old 12-08-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
No real props, but they have many LOTR replicas and a really nice chess set here

http://www.noblecollection.com/catal...g.cfm?catid=17

I get catalogs from them for some reason, though I've never placed an order.
Old 12-08-02, 11:01 PM
Uber Member

Thanks for all the replies so far, but I was wondering about the actual props...not replicas.

They made thousands of items from weapons to clothing to armour to cups and other items from daily life.

Or do you think they're holding on to everything until they have the third movie in the can?

I assumed that since they filmed all three at once, they wouldn't really need most of the props anymore...?
Old 12-08-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

blade: I'd image they still have to do some pickups for Return of the King, so maybe they do want to hold on to the props. Is it normal for some films to sell a lot of the props after they are finished with them? You gotta think they could rake it quite a truckload of $$ if they put some of the actual props and costumes up on ebay.

Brian
Old 12-09-02, 02:32 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by bdshort
blade: I'd image they still have to do some pickups for Return of the King, so maybe they do want to hold on to the props. Is it normal for some films to sell a lot of the props after they are finished with them? You gotta think they could rake it quite a truckload of $$ if they put some of the actual props and costumes up on ebay.

Brian
Yeah, that just occured to me while I was typing my last reply.

I've never heard too much about real movie props being sold before...except for really high prices and usually as a celebrity benefit/charity kind of thing.

I just figured that seeing as how they made so many different things for this film that there was a better chance that something would be available for a reasonable price.

Probably have to wait until at least the middle of next year I guess.
Old 12-09-02, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read somewhere that most of the battle props were donated to New Zealand's government in order to bolster their national defense.
Old 12-09-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
that was cruel.
Old 12-09-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was in Irvine CA the other day at the big mall off I5 (forget the naqme, but if you live in So Cal you know what I mean). The Medieval Times store sold The rings of power in gold and silver(?). plus all of the swords were available as well. Scince there are several of these restaurants around the country I suspect the stores are around too.
Old 09-02-03, 06:14 PM
Uber Member

So, the final movie is due out in less than 3 months, so they shouldn't need the props for anymore pickups (this is assuming they won't need them for the extended edition of Return of the King, of course).

So has anyone heard anything? I didn't look around the net yet, but I was thinking about this thread after watching the featurettes on the Two Towers DVD. It would be cool even to have a piece of Helms Deep or the Golden Hall. Though I'd prefer one of the weapons.
Old 09-02-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
I went to the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto last year, to see an amazing exhibit of actual props from The Two Towers. I remember asking one of the people working there if they knew if any of the props would ever end up being sold, but predictably, he didn't know.

It wouldn't surprise me if alot of the more important props ended up in a special museum in New Zealand or something, but I'm sure that some more minor pieces will end up floating around in the collectors market. Peter Jackson ended up with one of the coolest props, the entire Bag End set.
Old 09-02-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard someone (don't remember where, unfortunately) that some props were burned shortly after their use. For example, the rubber feet and ears were all trashed after use so that there wouldn't be a flood or these things on the market.
Old 09-02-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Blade
So, the final movie is due out in less than 3 months, so they shouldn't need the props for anymore pickups (this is assuming they won't need them for the extended edition of Return of the King, of course).

So has anyone heard anything? I didn't look around the net yet, but I was thinking about this thread after watching the featurettes on the Two Towers DVD. It would be cool even to have a piece of Helms Deep or the Golden Hall. Though I'd prefer one of the weapons.
I have a friend that is a LOTR fanatic, & I mean unlike anyone here or anyone you've ever met. He literally probably has one of the largest LOTR collections in the country. He has the original cast & one-ups & models for most of the toy lines (meaning there are only 2-3 of each in existence) to give you an idea of how serious this guy is. Anyway, he has tried contacting people to get original items like you are looking for. And as of now it is not possible. Usually studios & specific vedors are either donated or buy the pieces in bulk from a studio once the movie raps up. Often you will see several of these vedors on ebay. However there are 2 things that set LOTR apart. One, they will be using almost all of there props right up until the movies release. And more importantly, Jackson & his production team actually own just about everything used in this movie. Meaning, it will be very hard to obtain anything actually used in the filming of the movie & at the very least the stuff will go in the high hundreds to thousands. If I hear anything different I'll post here.
Old 09-02-03, 11:51 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Sessa17
I have a friend that is a LOTR fanatic, & I mean unlike anyone here or anyone you've ever met. He literally probably has one of the largest LOTR collections in the country. He has the original cast & one-ups & models for most of the toy lines (meaning there are only 2-3 of each in existence) to give you an idea of how serious this guy is. Anyway, he has tried contacting people to get original items like you are looking for. And as of now it is not possible. Usually studios & specific vedors are either donated or buy the pieces in bulk from a studio once the movie raps up. Often you will see several of these vedors on ebay. However there are 2 things that set LOTR apart. One, they will be using almost all of there props right up until the movies release. And more importantly, Jackson & his production team actually own just about everything used in this movie. Meaning, it will be very hard to obtain anything actually used in the filming of the movie & at the very least the stuff will go in the high hundreds to thousands. If I hear anything different I'll post here.
I knew someone here would know something!

Thanks for the info, and I'll look forward to any updates.

Corvin,

That's just crazy! I hope it's not true.
Old 09-03-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is possible some of the stuff is being kept in case the studio wants to make a Hobbit movie and reuse some of them.
Old 09-03-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by DeputyDave
The Medieval Times store sold The rings of power in gold and silver(?). plus all of the swords were available as well. Scince there are several of these restaurants around the country I suspect the stores are around too.
Wow! I thought you were joking about the Medieval Times thing and they just created that for The Cable Guy. Just to be sure though, I did some searching, and these places really exist. At their website (www.medievaltimes.com of course) they have a gift shop section with weapons (including Conan daggers and an Excalbur sword), jewelry, suits of armor, and more.
Old 08-27-04, 04:59 PM
Uber Member

Ok, the EE is out in December. They have to be done with this stuff by now!

Anyone hear anything new yet?
Old 08-27-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
Ok, the EE is out in December. They have to be done with this stuff by now!

Anyone hear anything new yet?
Um, yes, I hear they have some very nice new replicas available!
Old 08-27-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any true fan of LOTR would sneak in Cate Blanchett's bedroom while she was asleep and cut a few strands of Galadriel's hair! (Or a raving lunatic)

Now that would be exclusive!
Old 08-27-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Blade... maybe you should just write to WETA and see if they have any props available for sale. Better yet, just make the trip to New Zealand and steal some shit.
Old 08-31-04, 04:35 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by adamblast
Um, yes, I hear they have some very nice new replicas available!
[Indian guy from Seinfeld]You are a very, very bad man[/IGFS]

Darkfriend, Three letters: TRO.

Originally posted by devilshalo
Blade... maybe you should just write to WETA and see if they have any props available for sale. Better yet, just make the trip to New Zealand and steal some shit.
Hmm. I just might have to do that....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.