Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metal Song of the Day (8/11-8/15)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-11-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Due to reasonably high approval in here, I'm pressing onward with the Metal song of the day. Please comment with your thoughts, recommendations of similar bands, etc. I'll be updating this thread throughout the week with a new song for you guys to check out, so keep coming back. And now for the inaugural song of the day:

8/11 - "Invisible" by Dream Evil from 2003's Evilized
Dream Evil is a Swedish band formed by uber producer Fredrik Nordstrom (Opeth, In Flames, At The Gates, Arch Enemy, etc.) who finally decided that he could play just as well as any of those guys. Yes the name comes from the Dio song and yes thats the kind of music you should expect. This is melodic metal that harkens back to those glory days of the early to mid '80s. All the musicians, particularly guitarist Gus G and drummer Snowy Shaw are excellent and the vocals by Niklas Isfeldt are just perfect. The band has a decent sense of humor (like Helloween) and is just a pure joy to listen to. Evilized is their 2nd album and the only album I've heard this year I'd give a perfect score to. "Invisible" isn't the best song on the album (check out "The End" or "Bad Dreams") but it's probably my favorite.

If you want help tracking down any of these songs e-mail me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Mordred
Old 08-11-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the album cover if interested

would this album be in a mainsteme store like sam goody, or would I have to go to my local shop.
Old 08-11-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly I've never seen it in a store here (I got my copy in Sweden), but Amazon seems to carry it so I'm guessing it's been released here in America. If you wanna listen to it, e-mail me and i'll point you to the newsgroup I'm posting these tracks to.

Mordred
Old 08-11-03, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup...a pretty good album alright, I happen to be a little burned out on power metal right now so I haven't picked up much new stuff, I tend just to listen to the Helloween / Gamma Ray / etc. CDs I already have. But yeah, if ya love all things power, then you can't go wrong with these guys.
Old 08-12-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MSotd for 8/12

8/12 - "Kind Hearted Light" by Masterplan from 2003's Masterplan
Masterplan is a German power metal supergroup created by ex-Helloween members Roland Grapow and Uli Kusch. They added Iron Saviour bassist Jan S. Eckert and former Ark vocalist Jorn Lande to help them out. This is classic sounding power metal that takes from the best of the scene without going over the top like Hammerfall. The songs are all well crafted affairs with good arrangements and strong vocals by Lande who's finally come into his own. Former Helloween vocalist Michael Kiske even makes an appearance on the duet "Heroes". "Spirit Never Die" and "Crystal Night" are also worth checking out. My only complaint is the two slower songs tend to sound a little too soft (when were power metallists known for their ballads?). A strong debut album and an exciting alternative for those looking for another band to listen to in the Helloween/Gamma Ray vein.
Old 08-12-03, 04:58 PM

Dream Evil - Invisible - Not a bad song, but not the best I've heard either. For some reason It reminds me of the band Grim Reaper, though they sound nothing alike. Imagine Grim reapers singer(if you've heard em' before), singing this song, and it would have fit right in on thier "See You in Hell" album. The song is a pretty straight forward rocker, so I'm sure it couldn't possibly be the best on on the album. They seem to have more potential than this song displays, so I will be checking out a few more songs by them later on.

Masterplan - Kind Hearted Light - I'm not sure what I think of this song. Nothing really stood out for me, other than the guitar solo. It was pretty standard fare for this type of metal band, in my opinion. I think I would have enjoyed this song a lot more back when I was younger, and discovering music. I hate to sound like an old fart, but after many, many years of listening to all kinds of different bands, as well as music, it's hard to find anything, these days, that stands out from the crowd. Most everything, for me, unfortunatly falls under the ol' "I've heard this done before " catagory. I am hopeing this thread will change that for me. Just as with the previous band, I have a feeling this band has more potential than what this song displays, and will search out a few more songs, to check them out as well.

I don't exspect either band to blow me out of my shoes, because they both,for me, seem to fall under the "heard it done before" catagory, but never the less, I will be exspecting some good head bangin' music.

Keep Em' Comin'
Old 08-12-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the feedback. These are both pretty standard Power Metal bands, but definitely the best of the new ones I've heard. I'm not sure I get the Grim Reaper comparisons but maybe I should pull that one out again. I was always a big fan of Nick Bowcott. And they'd make for a good MSotD if I decide to have a forgotten bands week

I'll keep trying to impress you though. Choosing what song to pick from an album is always a tough chore. I'm currently trying to decide what to go for on tomorrows selection

Mordred
Old 08-12-03, 06:26 PM

I've heard a little bit of Masterplan, and like the other stuff and mentioned above it's pretty standard fare...the only thing that really makes it stand out for me is that it features Jorn Lande on vocals who I consider to be a vocal god...music wise, pretty much been there done that, which is how I feel about most power metal nowadays...two of the last really good power metal albums I got into were Secret Sphere - A Time Nevercome and Elvenking - Heathenreel...also, pretty much anything done by Tobias Sammet keeps me entertained.

Interested in what the next song is gonna be, just remember, doesn't have to be power metal.
Old 08-12-03, 07:26 PM

'I'm not sure I get the Grim Reaper comparisons but maybe I should pull that one out again'

I'm not really meaning to compare them to Grim Reaper, just for some reason that song reminded me of them. It's been a long time since I've listened to Grim Reaper myself, but that song brought them roaring right back into my head, like I just heard em' yesterday. Don't know why, it just did.
Old 08-12-03, 07:30 PM

I own the Masterplan disc and I think its good, but could be a good deal better. Its got some standout tracks. I dig Crystal Night. I'm actually seeing them in a few weeks.
Old 08-13-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
I own the Masterplan disc and I think its good, but could be a good deal better. Its got some standout tracks. I dig Crystal Night. I'm actually seeing them in a few weeks.
I came really close to posting that one but felt "Kind Hearted Light" was a tad better.
Old 08-13-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MSotd for 8/13

8/12 - "Infatuator" by Silent Force from 2001's Infatuator
Silent Force is a melodic metal band put together by ex-Royal Hunt vocalist D.C. Cooper. Cooper has some of the best vocals in the business so you can expect a lot of soaring vocal melodies. The band sounds similar to Painkiller-era Judas Priest, a comparison helped by a spot on cover of "All Guns Blazing" from that album. Silent Force is a lot heavier than Royal Hunt but at times is a little reminiscent of that band with strong vocal harmonies and keyboards featuring prominently on a few tracks. Not everything is perfect here though: "Gladiator" is an odd retelling of the movie, and some might feel the ballad "In Your Arms" is a little too soft. For the most part though this is a strong European band that skillfully bridges the gap between power metal and pop-metal.
Old 08-13-03, 12:59 PM

Yeah, Silent Force pretty much fall under the same category as Masterplan for me...love the vocals (DC is great, especially during his Conception days), but musically it's the same story as posted above for me which is why I never end up buying these discs. Silent Force for me is just getting a little too sugary metal for my tastes these days, like listening to Stratovarius. Very good vocals though.

How about some thrash, death, black, etc. songs?
Old 08-13-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe he's going for a theme each week.
Old 08-13-03, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
maybe he's going for a theme each week.
Hmmm, yeah. Good idea...that works.
Old 08-13-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Swanöholic
How about some thrash, death, black, etc. songs?
Yeah you have a little heavier tastes than I do. Have a little trouble getting into death/black (though I'm big on thrash) mainly due to the vocals. And I would have held off on the Silent Force track but I had already posted it to the newsgroup by the time I read your post

Remember you guys can e-mail me if you want to know where these tracks are being posted to.

Mordred
Old 08-13-03, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Mordred
Yeah you have a little heavier tastes than I do. Have a little trouble getting into death/black (though I'm big on thrash) mainly due to the vocals. And I would have held off on the Silent Force track but I had already posted it to the newsgroup by the time I read your post

Remember you guys can e-mail me if you want to know where these tracks are being posted to.

Mordred
Ah...ok, that's cool. Yeah, for a long time it was difficult for me to get into extreme vocals and growls, it was after years of power metal and whatnot that I started craving more and more change in what I was listening to, so I progressively went to harsher and harsher vocals and more varying and unique styles of music. The change in style appealed to me and I eventually got to the point where I really enjoy the vocals (especially singers who can sing well both clean and growls). But yeah, I totally understand that. Nowadays the 'Swedish Death Metal' scene has pretty much reached the point of where I'm at with power metal struggling to find something unique...there's a lot of great bands in both genres, but to find that band that really has that something "special" is tough these days.
Old 08-13-03, 09:07 PM

I like a good deal of power metal...the one big thing I can't stand about it is how generic some of it can be. I swear, there is a whole sub-genre of metal completely inspired by one record, Painkiller. I am continually amazed at how much of that album I hear in so many of the power metal bands I hear today.

The latest Gamma Ray is an example. They're a band I think are great, but I hear way too much Priest in No World Order. They've always given them in a nod on their albums, and that's fine, but it definitely got out of hand with the latest.

Anyway, rant over.
Old 08-14-03, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Wallet Boy

The latest Gamma Ray is an example. They're a band I think are great, but I hear way too much Priest in No World Order. They've always given them in a nod on their albums, and that's fine, but it definitely got out of hand with the latest.

Anyway, rant over.
I hear ya...Powerplant was the last album of theirs that I picked up, and even that one didn't really blow me away. I thoroughly enjoy Somewhere Out In Space however, and especially Land of the Free...I wish they'd return to this style a bit.
Old 08-14-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: MSotd for 8/14

8/12 - "Ice Queen" by Within Temptation from 2001's Mother Earth
Hailing from the Netherlands, Within Temptation is a gothic/fantasy metal band fronted by soprano Sharon Den Adel who has laid down some of the most beautiful vocal lines I've ever heard. The women is simply amazing and represents the true cream of the crop of the new female fronted movement that seems to be all the rage in northern Europe. Within Temptation started out as a pretty heavy band and their first album Enter showcased Sharon along with Robert Westerholt's death metal vocals creating an interesting (if occasionally confused) pairing. On Mother Earth the band realized their strong point was Sharon's vocals and have made her the centerpiece of the band. The subject matter is heavily fantasy tinged but somehow doesn't sound silly even when the songs are about fairies and forest nymphs. "Ice Queen" is one of the better cuts of the album and displays the bands formidable talents. If you're anything like me you'll have a tough time getting it out of your head.

Sorry this one was so late... this is the one day out of the year where I'm forced to spend any time out of the office. It won't happen again (unless I forget to post)
Old 08-15-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: MSotd for 8/15

8/15 - "Into the Wind" by Circle II Circle from 2003's Watching in Silence
Circle II Circle is the new band fronted by ex-Savatage vocalist Zak Stevens. Their progressive metal style is almost exactly like Savatage's with strong vocal melodies, lots of piano interludes and impressive guitar work. After listening to Circle II Circle it should come as no surprise that either Jon Oliva or Criss Caffrey have a songwriting credit on every song. The album isn't quite up to par with Savatage's work (at times it's a little too laid back) but when the band is on they sound great. "Into the Wind" is mid-tempo song that features some vocal work reminiscent of Zak's singing on Wake of Magellan. Other stand out tracks include "Out of Reach" and "Sea of White". Highly recommend for Savatage fans or just progressive metal fans in general.