Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your WORST "buried classic" album?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-13-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This companion thread was inspired because I used to purposely buy albums that were considered great in their day due to the reputation, but found the album unlistenable.

Case in point: Red Octopus by Jefferson Starship (1975). Went to #1 for four weeks (their sole chart-topper) and yielded the top 10 hit Miracles (which I also don't care for).
Old 08-13-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robert Plant - Now And Zen

it seems like he's trying so hard to underperform for sake of not sounding like the Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin.
Old 08-13-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh, this is so easy...

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
Old 08-13-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: What's your WORST "buried classic" album?

Originally posted by Buttmunker
This companion thread was inspired because I used to purposely buy albums that were considered great in their day due to the reputation, but found the album unlistenable.

Case in point: Red Octopus by Jefferson Starship (1975). Went to #1 for four weeks (their sole chart-topper) and yielded the top 10 hit Miracles (which I also don't care for).
I don't know what day that was because I was buying records then and it was considered crap. I've never heard of a Starship album considered a classic.

By the way, mine's a tie between Captain Beefheart Trout Mask Replica and Pavement Slanted and Enchanted.
Old 08-13-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't bought any Moby Grape albums, despite the fact that Mr. Van Dreisen considers them "classic" and gave his autographed vinyl to Beavis and Butt-head as compensation.
Old 08-13-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: What's your WORST "buried classic" album?

Originally posted by cungar
By the way, mine's a tie between Captain Beefheart Trout Mask Replica and Pavement Slanted and Enchanted.
Old 08-13-03, 11:13 PM
Banned

Re: Re: What's your WORST "buried classic" album?

Originally posted by cungar
Pavement Slanted and Enchanted.
Old 08-14-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never Mind The Bullocks by The Sex Pistols. Gawd-awful, can't listen to it.
Old 08-14-03, 11:14 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
It's by no means a "buried" classic, but I don't like The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds much at all. I understand why it's supposed to be so great, but I think it's lame.

BTW, there's never been a Jefferson Starship album that has had the reputation as a "classic" album. The two most critically esteemed Jefferson Airplane albums, Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers, have not aged well in the opinion of most critics, at least from what I've seen. I happen to think they're both great.
Old 08-14-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pet Sound's may seem a little hokey and wholesome, but it really is a great album IMO.

I don't think that critics have looked upon Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers in a negative light in recent years, but Bathing At Baxters is another matter...
Old 08-14-03, 11:31 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
Pet Sound's may seem a little hokey and wholesome, but it really is a great album IMO.

I don't think that critics have looked upon Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers in a negative light in recent years, but Bathing At Baxters is another matter...
I think Pet Sounds kicks off great with "Wouldn't It Be Nice?", but the rest of the songs do nothing for me. I've listened to it over and over again, and it just doesn't grow on me at all.

I didn't mean to imply that Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers are disliked nowadays, just that they aren't held up to be "classics" the way they once were.
Old 08-14-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wendersfan
I think Pet Sounds kicks off great with "Wouldn't It Be Nice?", but the rest of the songs do nothing for me. I've listened to it over and over again, and it just doesn't grow on me at all.

I didn't mean to imply that Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers are disliked nowadays, just that they aren't held up to be "classics" the way they once were.
Pet Sounds certainly runs out of steam, since it places the best material in the first 4 or 5 tracks, but its still the best Beach Boys album for my money.

I understood what you said about Airplane, a lot of 60s artists were heralded for their spacey sound effects and psychedelic sloganing in their songs, and jeered for the same reasons upon reinspection years later. That is why Bathing At Baxters has been taken to the cleaners.