Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The Lon Chaney Collection: specs, cover art, price!

Old 08-09-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warner Bros. will be releasing this on October 28th at the SRP of $39.99 (don't worry, most places have it for 30% off)

Included will be The Ace of Hearts, Laugh Clown Laugh, and The Unknown. Each have full stereo scores (The Unknown has a score by The Alloy Orchestra) and will have a commentary by Michael F. Blake (Chaney expert and makeup artist)

Extras include A Thousand Faces, a documentary on Lon Chaney by Kevin Brownlow and the London After Midnight reconstruction which aired on Turner Classic Movies.

This is Warner's first venture into silent cinema and I urge you all to support this release!
Old 08-09-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never been into the silent film genere but maybe this release might help me out. And finally, I found out where the "Lon Chaney of the 90's" reference/joke came from (anyone who's listened to the clerks commentary, knows what I'm talking about)
Old 08-10-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Lon Chaney Collection: specs, cover art, price!

And as if news of the release of those three films wasn't enough...
Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
Extras include A Thousand Faces, a documentary on Lon Chaney by Kevin Brownlow and the London After Midnight reconstruction which aired on Turner Classic Movies.

Thanks for posting this Patrick! It should go nicely with the upcoming 2 disc Phantom of the Opera set.

I'm so stoked.
Old 08-10-03, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Lon Chaney Collection: specs, cover art, price!

Originally posted by PatrickMcCart
the London After Midnight reconstruction which aired on Turner Classic Movies.
This set looks awesome. Cant wait.
Old 08-10-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a must-buy to me! Thanks for the details....
Old 08-10-03, 08:32 AM
Defunct Account

What Mutley said! This set and Phantom (of the Opera, not Menace) will put me on cloud 9. I already have "The Penalty" and the double feature "Outside the Law/Shadows." Unfortunatly I missed Image's now OOP release of "Hunchback Of Notre Dame." Anyone know if there are plans to re-release this classic?

-Videophile
Old 08-10-03, 09:25 AM

When does the two disc Phantom of The Opera DVD come out???

Hello !! When does the two disc set of Phantom come out? I must add that one to my collection can someone please tell me exactly what extras does it contain ( apart from presumably the famous two color technicolor sequences) ?
Old 08-10-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: When does the two disc Phantom of The Opera DVD come out???

Originally posted by Muir Hewitt
Hello !! When does the two disc set of Phantom come out? I must add that one to my collection can someone please tell me exactly what extras does it contain ( apart from presumably the famous two color technicolor sequences) ?
It's coming on 9/9/03.

About the transfers: Utilizing the best 35mm print of the 1929 reissue from the George Eastman House and material from the UCLA Film and Television Archive, this stunning video master features a magnificent orchestral score by Carl Davis (Napoleon) and a stunning restoration of the Technicolor masked ball sequence! 2-Disc DVD Collector's Set! Includes Two Versions! 1925 Original Feature (110 mins.) with a Score by Jon Mirsalis, 1929 Restored Version (98 mins.) with Two Soundtracks by Carl Davis (stereo) and the Original Theatrical Soundtrack (mono).

Extras: Audio Commentary by Film Historian Scott MacQueen; Carla Laemmle Remembers: A Video Interview Conducted by David Skal; 1925 and 1930 Theatrical Trailers; Faust Opera Extract from the 1929 Tiffany Sound Feature, Midstream; Still Galleries with Deleted and Missing Scenes; 9 Bonus Dialogue Sequences from the 1929 Version; Interview with Cinematographer Charles Van Enger.

Enjoy!

DJ
Old 08-10-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops - Sorry 'bout that, Muir.
Old 08-11-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, three films, that great documentary, and the stills reconstruction of 'London'? For $40 retail?

If this is just the *initial* release from TCM Archives, I can't wait to see what else they have in store...
Old 08-11-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not really mentioned, but...

The 2-disc Phantom of the Opera has the Photoplay Productions restoration (which was produced largely from UCLA and GEH elements) which Kevin Brownlow and David Gill supervised. It actually used digital restoration and colorization to get the film closer to how it's supposed to be. (Don't worry...the colorization was done only to parts requiring stencil color or lost Technicolor segments)

The 1925 general release cut is from a digitally cleaned up transfer off of a very nice 16mm source. It's not perfect, but it's supposed to look incredible.