Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is a Louma Cranes use on a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What is a Louma Cranes use on a movie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 10:58 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a Louma Cranes use on DVD?

In the credits of a DVD I just watched was the name Louma Crane, What is it?
Could you also tell who came up with the name?

Last edited by danol; 07-25-03 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-25-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a crane with a camera. You know those shots, usually just before the credits roll, that start out at ground level and then lift up until the scene gets an overhead point-of-view? Those are crane shots (usually).

SCTV parodied the cliche of the closing crane shot very well, many years ago...
Old 07-26-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm...

...In 1970, two young French cameramen, Jean-Marie Lavalou and Alain Masseron, were planning to shoot inside an operational submarine. They wanted to track down the length of the boat, booming in and out of various nooks and crannies and passing through narrow bulkheads as they went. They contrived to fit a Camflex camera on a gyroscopic pan-and-tilt head at the end of a long pole, which, in turn, was on a tripod mounted to a narrow Elemack dolly. A year or two later, when a more developed version of this rig — dubbed the "Louma" crane — was first being serially manufactured, an electronic remote-controlled head and a lightweight video assist were fitted to the camera. With this, the modular remote-control camera crane was born...

...google is good...!...

. . . . . .
Old 07-26-03, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What is a Louma Cranes use on DVD?

Originally posted by danol
In the credits of a DVD I just watched
Not to be all nitpicky or anything, but the DVD's credits and the movie's credits are two different things. I'm sure you read the term Louma crane in the movie's credits, right?

Oh, and here's a small picture of a Louma crane being used on the set of "Moonraker." I'm sorry it isn't any bigger.

Old 07-26-03, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...no picture, but a mention of the Louma Crane and what it can do...

...google is good...!...

. . . . . .
Old 07-26-03, 12:20 PM
Rest in Peace

The DVD I watched with Louma Crane being mentioned is called "Wolfen" with Albert Finney, Gregory Hines and Diane Venora.
That wolf seeing multi colors that looked like infra red only there was purple, green and silver was something else.

The way the wolves would move towards their intended victim or across the derelict district of the Bronx, I believe was done by the Louma Crane. Man that's one DVD I ain't ever going to sell or trade it's so scary.

P.S. 1981 was a good year for Albert Finney he made "Looker" with Susan Dey (Partridge Family) and "Wolfen" with Diane Venora (The Jackal-Willis) that year. I first seen this movie in a Philadelphia Mall when stuck in Philadelphia, PA for the night I was driving TT 'over the road', plenty of parking for my rig whill I watched the show. I then used the bunk to sleep on then to go to deliver some beef, I was using a reefer (Refrigerated Trailer) as my trailer.
Old 07-26-03, 04:10 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Hm. Peoplesearch at Yahoo showed no entries for someone named Louma Crane. You know, there was a chance...
Old 07-26-03, 07:18 PM
Rest in Peace

Try my last name and your in for big surprise there're only 12 of my last name in the whole world. 6 in California, 3 in PA. 1 in UK, 1 in IR and 1 in AU total 12

I did a worldwide telephone search last year, after I did a USA search. I could not believe my last name was so rare. I
was always wondering as a youth why I had to spell my easy to pronounce last name. Find my name in DVD exchange in the Gold Trader list at the top under MAO GTL. My true name is with my user name of danol.