Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nick Cave DVD due in Aug 2003

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-06-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally! Saw this posted at the Nick Cave forum earlier today:

http://www.nme.com/news/105232.htm

Features a full concert the band filmed back in 2001 to support the "No More Shall We Part" album. My only complaint is that based on the article, I cannot be certain when or if this will see a Region 1 release. My fingers and toes are crossed. If anyone knows more, please chime in.
Old 06-07-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Very cool. I'm seeing him in two weeks in Chicago.

I missed seeing him on the No More Shall We Part tour, so I'll definitely be getting this DVD. I'd love to see some of those songs performed live.

On a very slightly related note, the Dirty Three are also going to have a tour DVD out sometime this year. Apparently, it will be in a similar style to Radiohead's Meeting People is Easy, in that it will be partially concert footage and partially behind the scenes of touring stuff. (Warren Ellis from the Dirty Three is the Violinist for the Bad Seeds.)
Old 06-07-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cool. I'll be at the same show as well.
Old 06-21-03, 04:50 PM

Tonight is the show. I just heard that Blixa quit the band though.
Old 06-22-03, 03:37 PM

Here's the details from www.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com:

GOD IS IN THE HOUSE - DVD RELEASED 11th AUGUST
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds are releasing their first ever DVD, God Is In The House, on the 11th of August 2003.

The DVD contains live footage from Le Transbordeur in Lyon, France, plus the John Hillcoat directed documentary No More Shall We Part - The Recording Sessions. Recorded at Abbey Road, the documentary has exclusive film of the band recording No More Shall We Part. Also featured on the DVD are the videos Hillcoat directed for the singles 'As I Sat Sadly By Her Side' and 'Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow', the latter features cameos from the likes of Jarvis Cocker and Jason Donovan plus the video for the Australian released single, 'Love Letter'.

The Lyon concert from 2001's No More Shall We Part tour features the Bad Seeds line up of Nick Cave, Mick Harvey, Blixa Bargeld, Thomas Wydler, Martyn Casey, Conway Savage, Jim Sclavunos and Warren Ellis playing tracks from eight of their twelve studio albums.

Live at "Le Transbordeur" Lyon, France, 8th June 2001:
1. Do You Love Me?
2. Oh My Lord
3. Lime Tree Arbour
4. Red Right Hand
5. As I Sat Sadly By Her Side
6. The Weeping Song
7. God Is In The House
8. We Came Along This Road
9. Papa Won't Leave You, Henry
10. Hallelujah
11. The Mercy Seat
12. Into My Arms
13. Saint Huck
14. The Curse Of Millhaven
Documentary:
No More Shall We Part - The Recording Sessions, directed by John HIllcoat
Promo Videos:
As I Sat Sadly By Her Side - directed by John HIllcoat
Fifteen Feet Of Pure White Snow - directed by John HIllcoat
Love Letter - directed by Tony Mahony

Sounds great. Anyone happen to know if this will see a region 1 or region 0 release?
Old 06-22-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Madeline, thanks for posting all the specs (I was too lazy at the time). At this point, I haven't heard if it will be released in the Region 2 first followed by a Region 1 release. I am on the newsletter list for Nick Cave's site, however, and it simply confirmed the August 11th release date. I can only assume that we (Region 1) will get it at the same time as the rest of the world.

On a related note, I just saw Nick at the Hollywood Palladium last Wednesday. In a word: AWESOME! Nick is truly a magnetic performer. I can only hope the DVD does justice to his live performances. Great to hear some older material in his set list this time around. It was a treat to hear "From Her to Eternity" and "Wild World".
Old 06-22-03, 10:41 PM

This past Saturday here he also played Tupelo along with From Her to Eternity. Simply an amazing show.
Old 06-25-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just wanted to let people know that The Bad Seeds are supposed to be on The Late Show With David Letterman tonight...
Old 07-12-03, 11:25 AM

So anyone know if this will be released Region free (Region 0) or Region 1? I'm betting this will be a Region 2 releae, but I'm hoping for a US release.
Old 07-12-03, 04:24 PM

www.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com has posted the cover art and some sample clips from the DVD. Here's the link:

http://www.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com/dvd_preview.html
Old 07-14-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to my new issue of ICE Magazine, the Region 1 release date will be August 26th (two weeks after the Region 2 release). Specs are identical to both regions.
Old 07-14-03, 11:04 PM

Great news - thanks Jippy.
Old 07-15-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, in case anyone didn't notice, Wings Of Desire debuted on DVD recently.
Old 07-17-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i cant wait to pick up this DVD, hopefully it will be successful enough to bring forth other Nick Cave DVDS, such as the video collection, Live at the Paradiso and The Road To God Knows Where.

on a related note, The Birthday Party "Pleasure Heads Must Burn" is also available on DVD.
Old 07-17-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scarred God - do you have that B-Day Party DVD? I've seen it at the store and it keeps taunting me from the shelf, but I have yet to purchase it. Can anyone comment on the A/V quality? Thanks.
Old 08-15-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jippy
Scarred God - do you have that B-Day Party DVD? I've seen it at the store and it keeps taunting me from the shelf, but I have yet to purchase it. Can anyone comment on the A/V quality? Thanks.
sorry it took so long to respond...

No i have not seen the Birthday Party DVD yet, its about $22.99 in a local store and im not that excited about upgrading my VHS copy, if it is indeed an upgrade. i did email the company that put it out to get some information about whether it was just a copy of the VHS onto a DVD, their response was that it wasnt remastered but there was a little bit of cleanup done on it. also there are a couple extra clips that were not on the VHS. personally im in no hurry to upgrade, if you DONT have it at all, it may be worth it.

The Region 1 God Is In The House is listed on the Best Buy website, release date is Aug 26 (as someone previously mentioned) and a price of $17.99. i just hope my store orders a copy, ill be there at opening for it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product
Old 08-17-03, 01:45 PM

Vintage Vinyl in Jersey has the 'God is in the House' DVD in stock, and they are selling it on their Web site here for $15.99.

I saw it in the store yesterday, so I can confirm that they do indeed have it in stock. The back said "All Region NTSC."
Old 08-26-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After a tireless search around town today, I finally found this in stock at Tower Records in Laguna Hills, for $14.99. God is in the house tonight, indeed.
Old 08-27-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my Best Buy had 2 copies ordered but they werent in on release day Tuesday, none at Circuit City either so i went to my local indie record shop and bought it.

i did a quick look thru the DVD and i think it looks excellent, the video quality looks real nice on the 3 videos (unlike the free DVD that came with Nocturama which i thought looked terrible), the documentary looks cool, and i watched the first 2 performance from the 2001 concert, and Nick Cave appeared to be in fine form.

so far so good on my end and ive been hyper critical of Nick Cave for the past few years, hopefully more people will post with their thoughts.

PS- i heard the Birthday Party DVD is pretty bad with a lot of compression artifacts.

Last edited by scarredgod; 08-27-03 at 10:31 PM.