Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite Britcom?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-22-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 333 Likes on 218 Posts

I've recently bought some British comedies and really enjoyed them--and wonder what I should buy next. I've got The Black Adder, Complete Bean, The Thin Blue Line, and Coupling 1&2 so far. My favorite of the bunch is probably seasons 2 and 3 of The Black Adder, but it sort of depends on my mood. What else do you think I should get? I have a region free player, and don't mind getting foreign releases.

tasha
Old 06-22-03, 09:32 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The Office

It's the funniest show I've ever seen.
Old 06-22-03, 09:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you claim to be a fan of British comedies, and don't own Fawlty Towers, then I say SHAME. SHAME ON YOU! Easily one of the funniest shows to ever grace the airways.
Old 06-22-03, 06:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are You Being Served and the Vicar of Dibley are my favorites.
Old 06-22-03, 06:50 PM

I own:
RED DWARF S1/S2
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Mr. Bean - Whole Bean
Fawlty Towers

Prisoner - Complete Collection (although not a comedy, it is british and shares the same cult status as others listed)
Old 06-22-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 333 Likes on 218 Posts
Thanks you guys. I remember liking Fawlty Towers when I first saw it, but I rented disc one from Netflix a few months ago and didn't think it was all that funny. I know--weird, because I used to think it was funny. Maybe I was too stressed out when I watched it (I think rented it during midterms) or else I've lost part of my sense of humor.

tasha

Last edited by tasha99; 06-22-03 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 01:35 AM

To the Manor Born (only series 1 has been released on dvd so far, but thats a start.)

Hemulen
Old 06-23-03, 02:53 AM

Although not a britcom per se, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was an excellent British miniseries, and pretty bloody hilarious too. The DVD is also inexpensive and has enough 'oomph' on it to warrant a purchase.
Old 06-23-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For an R2 release, look into Black Books. Since you like Blackadder, Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie are excellent as Jeeves & Wooster which is available in R1.
Old 06-23-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RKillgore
Since you like Blackadder, Steven Fry and Hugh Laurie are excellent as Jeeves & Wooster which is available in R1.
Yessssss. My favorite. I've got the first two seasons.
Old 06-23-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe no one has mentioned Absolutely Fabulous (By far my number 1)
Additionally, I've always enjoyed:
Red Dwarf
Mr. Bean
Fawlty Towers
Old 06-23-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guys. . .I may be shooting for the stars here, but I was watching PBS one day, just by chance, and this show was on. I don't know the name, so that's what I'm hoping to find. . .
Here's what I remember: This guy and his friends are getting ready to watch some home video of that guy having sex with his girlfriend. Eventually a quarrel happens. . .but at the end I do remember after it all messes up with the guy and his girl, he's asleep, he wakes up and the girl comes back telling him to ask her to marry him. She gets naked, although it doesn't show it of course. His friend, drunk, is in the room too and it ends with that. . .I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me about this show, it was hilarious
Old 06-24-03, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
The Office

It's the funniest show I've ever seen.
Yes..excellent show, another very good one is 'Phoenix Nights' although to fully appreciate it you'll have to come from the north of england (purely due to the brand of humour and 'culture' portrayed)

For older 'classic' british comedy you can't go far wrong with the excellent 'Only Fools And Horses'
Old 06-24-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
If you claim to be a fan of British comedies, and don't own Fawlty Towers, then I say SHAME. SHAME ON YOU! Easily one of the funniest shows to ever grace the airways.
Yes the absolute BEST!!!
Old 06-24-03, 07:11 PM
mwj

The Young Ones
Old 06-25-03, 12:24 AM

Guys. . .I may be shooting for the stars here, but I was watching PBS one day, just by chance, and this show was on. I don't know the name, so that's what I'm hoping to find. . .
Here's what I remember: This guy and his friends are getting ready to watch some home video of that guy having sex with his girlfriend. Eventually a quarrel happens. . .but at the end I do remember after it all messes up with the guy and his girl, he's asleep, he wakes up and the girl comes back telling him to ask her to marry him. She gets naked, although it doesn't show it of course. His friend, drunk, is in the room too and it ends with that. . .I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me about this show, it was hilarious

I believe you're referring to Coupling. Sounds like the last episode of Season 1.
Old 06-25-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sebring98
I believe you're referring to Coupling. Sounds like the last episode of Season 1.
Yup. Last episode of Season 1 "The Cupboard of Patrick's Love".

Get Coupling Season 1 on dvd now before the bastardized American version starts airing this fall
Old 06-25-03, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: What's your favorite Britcom?

Originally posted by tasha99
What else do you think I should get?
Well, I have almost every britcom released in Region 1, so listing EVERYTHING I recommend would probably be as useful as showing you a link to a list on Amazon.......

but I will recommend my absolute favorite......and that is Absoultely Fabulous. I recommend getting the Complete Series 1-3 box set as it comes with an extra disc of bonus material. Series 4 was not as good as Series 1-3, but it had its moments. And coming on Septemeber 30th are the 2 Ab Fab specials (The Last Shout and Ab Fab in NY) on one disc called Absoultely Fabulous: Absolutely Special. The Last Shout is a must own if you like the show.

Jennifer Saunders is the funniest woman on the planet and nothing can convince me otherwise.......so, I also recommend getting the 2 French & Saunders dvds available in Region 1, and they are nicely priced. Two more are coming out in September.
Old 06-25-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hands down it's 'Bottom.' I don't think Bottom has ever been released in the US, but if you're a fan of The Young Ones and you have a region free player I highly suggest you pick up the DVD, you'll be glad you did. It's funnier than hell.
Old 06-25-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys! I checked Amazon. . .Coupling Season 1 is only 18 bucks. . .any idea on when Season 2 will be released? Thanks again, I really loved that show.
Old 06-26-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Father Ted.
Old 06-26-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by theneobez
Thanks guys! I checked Amazon. . .Coupling Season 1 is only 18 bucks. . .any idea on when Season 2 will be released? Thanks again, I really loved that show.
Well, when I wrote BBCAmerica shop asking this question, they responded "later this year". So sometime within the next 6 months, lol.
Old 06-30-03, 03:24 PM

Fawlty Towers, without a doubt!
Old 07-01-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
(Concerning Jeeves & Wooster)
Yessssss. My favorite. I've got the first two seasons.
At last, someone else knows of this overlooked gem! And considering that you can get the four-season mega set from DeepDiscountDVD for less than $70, I urge people to give J&W a try.

Also for people who are looking for Coupling, it's available through Columbia House, as an enrollment DVD too. That's the disc that finally convinced me to start a membership.
Old 07-01-03, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another series i'd forgotten about that may interest you the 'other side of the pond'

'I'm Alan Partridge'

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.