Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The One&Only [pre-release] Metallica / 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The One&Only [pre-release] Metallica / 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Old 05-28-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Official" Metallica - 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Thanks to Benedict for allowing me to start a thread dealing specifically with Metallica news and music, they'll be no Napster or I hate Lars discussions in here. Those subjects have played out here many a time, and do not belong in this thread. Thanks.

Additionally, please do not linkify to site that are offering downloads of copyrighted material unless it's legal and kosher.

Now, to continue the good thing that we had going. . .

Metallica's newest studio release will be hitting store near you on Tuesday, June 10th. Entitled 'St. Anger" it will feature 11 songs clocking it at over 75 minutes. Included within the package is a milestone DVD that features every track in order from 'St. Anger' played live with new bassist Robert Trujillo.
-----------

The tracklist for 'St. Anger'

Frantic
St. Anger
Some Kind of Monster
Dirty Window
Invisible Kid
My World
Shoot Me Again
Sweet Amber
Unnamed Feeling
Purify
All Within My Hands

-------------

The first single from the CD hit the airwaves on May 27th, it is the title track "St. Anger" furthermore the video which filmed in San Quentin State Prison also hit MTV on the 27th. And can be seen in full at the link below.

http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=1109

-------------

If you would like to pre-order the album, here are some links.

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/d...88&band_id=540

http://www.bestbuy.com/MandM/Product...11215375&m=254

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

----------------------

To read further about previous news and opinions please check out this thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=282023

---------------

I welcome all comments both positive and negative here, and am curious what you think.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Last edited by db27; 05-28-03 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

'St. Anger' Lyrics

Saint Anger - copyright Metallica/Elektra Music Group

Saint Anger 'round my neck
He never gets respect

(You flush it out, You flush it out)
He never gets respect
(You flush it out, You crush it out)
He never gets respect

**** it all and no regrets
I hit the lights on these dark sets
I need a voice to let myself
To let myself go free
**** it all and ****in' no regrets
Medallion noose, I hang myself

I feel my world shake
Like an earth quake
It's hard to see clear
Is it me? Is it fear?
I'm madly in anger with you

(repeat all)

I want my anger to be healthy
I want my anger just for me
I need my anger not to control
I want my anger to be me
I need to set my anger free

**** it all and no regrets
Tie a noose or hang myself

I feel my world shake
Like an earth quake
It's hard to see clear
Is it me? Is it fear?

Old 05-28-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got my new Spin and read a review for the album. It sounds more promising now that I've seen a real, and sometimes credible publication review it. They gave it an A- BTW.

I just can't get over the lyrics though. I like the music, but I mean honestly, as of late the lyrics make me cringe. "I'm madly in anger with you" honestly has to be one of the worste lines I have heard lately. I'll still buy the album of course, cuz I am a fan, but it might take some getting used to.
Old 05-28-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Heard the single for the first time yesterday. I've been a fan since Master of Puppets first came out and I have to admit that I liked the new song more than most of their more recent stuff. It has a nice raw feel to it and its kinda cool how the prechorus (?) has references to the lyrics of some of the band's older songs (but yes, the lyrics of their earlier days were better). I'll be getting the CD the day it comes out.
Old 05-28-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, after hearing it a ton of times I'm prepared to drop my review of the song. (the radio version, not the album version)

Here goes.

Opening riff is just plain sick, set the tone for what is to come. The drums kick in, and it's like "holy sh1t" such a raw and aggressive tone. I'm really feelin' the groove, banging my head/air drumming then BAM!

Dropped like a ton of bricks, the heaviness subsides to a weird slow guitar part followed by the Mighty Het "saint anger round my neck" sung in such a way that at first I'm caught totally off-guard, then just as Im' figuring them out, BAM! We're goin' hard again, LOVE the "you flush it out" background vox, so crafty and intense.

In the next verse "damage inc.." is referenced, which I thought really shows you where the boys are at with the record and can't wait to hear more.

The way that this song is arranged is just another reason why I love Metallica, like a roller coaster ride, up and downs and then ups again. Damn! I love it when the song hits the breaks and then starts up again with that monster riff.

I love it, the only thing that has taken some getting used to is the production (or lack there of?) on the song, granted it was said to be "raw" but DAMN it's really f'n "raw" bringing back memories of Kill em' All.

This song combines elements of the "old" days and the "load" days in such away that it creates a totally new vibe, and I'm so damn pleased with it. Cannot wait to hear more.

As for the lyrics, yup kinda repetitive, but that makes a good single choice for sure. However some are really bashin' the simplicity of them, yet I feel that these are some of the deepest he/they have put together, metaphors and what-not. The whole concept of "st. anger" is so very interesting, and the line "i'm madly in anger with you" to me says so much about his dealings in rehab and control issues.

Another thing to be noted, is that the guys wrote this stuff together and no notes or riffs were brought into the studio, very aspect of the song was born in the studio with everyone present. Which, if you know anything about Metallica is a complete 100% change from the past, and so far the results (imo, of course) are WICKED.
Old 05-28-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where are They Now?

So, last week they played the four "warm-up" shows in San Fransico at the Fillmore to rave reveiws.

So what is happening now?

Well they have started a European promo tour and landed it Berlin, Germany on the 26th. And have since hit Sweden and now are in Denmark (homeland of Lars).

The tour is not of the performing type, they have been attending listening parties, doing tons of interviews, hanging with Meshuggah/Entombed/Candle Mass to name a few. DVD promo parties, press, sight-seeing and more. Tomorrow they hit London.

Busy dudes.
Old 05-28-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spin article and Review

From the July issue of Spin (Thom Yorke/Radiohead cover).

LARS ATTACKS
They've been gone five years. But now Metallica are returning with St. Anger - possibly the most intense album of their career - and this summer's Sanitarium tour. Drummer Lars Ulrich dug deep and talked openly about singer James Hetfield's near breakdown and the band's near breakup.

By Chris Norris

A power vacuum is a dangerous thing. Take out the dominant force and you've got chaos, tribal clashes, ethnic disputes, Nickelback. In the five years since Metallica released their last studio album, Reload, hard rock has been overrun by suburban angst-rappers, Bible-touting neo-Vedders, and cartoonish goth punks. Whither our mighty metal Vikings?

Oh, pretty much whither you'd think. Off in the fortress of solitude, going to rehab, losing their minds. The band started unraveling in 2000, when their lawsuit against file-sharing underdog Napster prompted a massive backlash. Then, in January 2001, bassist Jason Newsted, who had been with the group for 4 years, went his own way. Then singer/guitarist James Hetfield entered rehab - reportedly to cope with alcoholism - leaving no word when, or if, he would return.

When he tentatively rejoined Metallica in 2002, no one in the band knew how to continue the torturous business of being Metallica. So they enlisted a group therapist - pro-sports "enhancement coach" Phil Towle - and began jamming, with producer Bob Rock (who has helmed the band's last five records) filling in on bass. They had no songs, no concept, and no idea where they were going. Yet, while some people who go through this type of ordeal end up discussing it on Oprah, Metallica did probably the only thing they could do: make a huge, brutal, no-******** record - possibly their rawest ever - that actually sounds like a struggle to exist. They titled it St. Anger, and their forthcoming road show (with Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, and Deftones) is called the Sanitarium Tour, just in case you had any doubts as to where they're coming from.

Sipping tea in a Manhatten cafe, drummer Lars Ulrich - an intense, peroxided 39-year-old - discusses the band's long journey and the addition of Robert Trujillo, former bassist for Suicidal Tendencies and Ozzy Osbourne (Ozzy's new bassist is - in some cosmic realignment - Jason Newsted). This, and other strange turns for Metallica, will be revealed in an upcoming documentary by the folks behind the hit indie film Paradise Lost. But until that film-in-progress hits theaters, we have Mr. Ulrich to sing us the ballad of Metallica.

Spin: It's been a harsh three years. When was the low point?
Lars Ulrich: September 2001.

Yeah, that was a great time.
[Nods ruefully] A great time. For our part, we'd been three weeks into recording [during that summer] and James had come into the studio and said, "I'm going away for five weeks into a program." He returned four months later. We'd left the amplifiers still running. It wasn't until August that we were like, "Well, maybe we should turn everything off and go home."

So when did you realize what bad shape he was in?
It wasn't until I went down to the facility and saw him that I realized what he was going though. And then, in September, the night before we were gonna get together, he called and said, "Look, I'm not ready. I don't know if I'll ever be ready. But I'll let you know." That was rock bottom, when I was wondering what the future held. I mean, the brother in me wanted to run over and give him a big ****in' hug and say, like, "You okay?" But the member of Metallica [in me] wanted to go over and kick his ****in' ass.

Did you collaborate on the lyrics?
[Nods] We would sit in a room together for a half-hour and just riff, all of us. Then we'd go in to play, and James would literally stand and sing from , like, either or ten pieces of paper from everybody. I remember when James said, "I would like you guys to help me write the lyrics," there was a moment of shock and disbelief. That was when I knew that the creative process of Metallica had truly become equal.

So your group therapist was in the room when you were jamming, composing, and recording?
He was there every step of the process.

The new songs portray various mental demons - "Get out of my head," "I'll die if I lose control" - in a very direct way. It seems like a lot of that period's craziness went directly into the music.
Yes. It did. But this is not a rehab record. We're not talking about the Beatles going to India. It's just sitting down and understanding who you are.

In "Some Kind of Monster," the refrain is "We the people/ Some kind of monster." With the images of bombings on TV, this is easy to hear as bitter war commentary.
Well, I've always been very wary of using a Metallica interview as a platform to promote my own political views. There are very few people I respect as much as Tom Morello or Bono. But it doesn't mean that I want to use Metallica in the same way.

Well, the Napster suit was political. Are you satisfied with the settlement?
There was no victory in that, no uncorking of champagne bottles. Most of the time it feels like something that I dreamt. I mean, I was as surprised as anyone when I found myself testifying before the Senate. But anybody who knows anything about Metallica knows that we've always taken a stand against anybody who ****s with us. So it was like, "How did I become the most hated man in rock'n'roll for 15 minutes?" It was a very surreal experience, and still hurts more than I've ever let on.

When were you able to put it behind you?
Well, [laughs] I still go through eight-hour therapy sessions about it.

Metallica
St. Anger

Metallica get their growl back

It's been a tumultuous three years since the last new Metallica song - the Mission: Impossible 2 hit "I Disappear." The metal pioneers have (1) pissed off their fans by suing Napster, (2) parted ways with bassist Jason Newsted, and (3) rendered thousands of ALCOHOLICA t-shirts obsolete by packing frontman James Hetfield off to rehab. For the first time in ages, Metallica look like underdogs. Advance word on St. Anger, their eighth studio album, promised a rededication to the blitzkrieg tempos and unfettered rage of their youth.

And that's exactly what they deliver on the overpowering title track, which borrows lyrics from the Master of Puppets classic "Damage, Inc." "**** it all and ****ing no regrets" was a menacing enough line in 1986; that Hetfield and drummer Lars Ulrich are resurrecting it as they stare down 40 is proof that they mean business. This is Metallica stripped to the core: no Bob Seger covers, no string section, and - what in the name of Michael Schenker? - no guitar solos.

So what's left? Personal demons, for starters. Hetfield grimly recounts his battle with the bottle on "Frantic," and "All Within My Hands" hitches towering paranoia to agonized feedback. The band's antagonistic Misfits/Motorhead influence hasn't been this pronounced since the death of original bassist Cliff Burton: St. Anger's brute force should redeem producer Bob Rock, oft-vilified for defanging Metallica's sound on their last few records. Only the somber confessional "Unnamed Feeling" recalls the band's 90's commercial bent. Otherwise, this is the album Metallica lifers have been waiting for: an inspired return to the complex savagery of old.

Grade: A-
Old 05-28-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the raw agressive feel to the song. The music is just flat out awesome, I can listen to that all day. Maybe not on par with their pre-black album albums but leaps and bounds better than their recent stuff. However, IMO the lyrics leave a bit to be desired but I always enjoyed Hetfields singing so I'm pretty impressed.

Hopefully this will kick some mainstream ass and bring metal to the forefront and we'll see some Meshuggah on TRL. I can dream can't I?

Last edited by Goat3001; 05-28-03 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Spin article and Review

• Quoth db27 •<HR SIZE=1>A power vacuum is a dangerous thing. Take out the dominant force and you've got chaos, tribal clashes, ethnic disputes, Nickelback. In the five years since Metallica released their last studio album, Reload, hard rock has been overrun by suburban angst-rappers, Bible-touting neo-Vedders, and cartoonish goth punks. Whither our mighty metal Vikings?

Oh, pretty much whither you'd think. Off in the fortress of solitude, going to rehab, losing their minds.
<HR SIZE=1>

What a great start to that article. As for the review, it sounds like some incredibly mixed feelings on this. I haven't heard any of it, but the advance word seems like it's either the second coming or Britney B-sides. Which is it?

das
Old 05-28-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only heard the single...and I'm not so sure yet... some of it kicks major ass...and other parts of the song...just don't do it for me... the song is so frantic though, and it switches styles like crazy... kind of like a schizophrenic or something... but overall I think it's pretty decent, and that SPIN review is encouraging... I'll be picking up the album regardless, to get ready for Summer Sanitarium!

MATT
Old 05-28-03, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Well I was able to get the good quality 7 minute studio album version and must say I'm loving the song more and more. The radio edit just rushes the song way to damn much. I absolutely agree db about it feeling like a roller coaster. I thought that the first time I heard it. Anyway I cant believe its less than two weeks to go because I am dying to hear this ****ing record!

YEAHHHHH!!

Last edited by MJKTool; 05-28-03 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
F _ _ K... DB27 can I put in my 2 cents NOW? ... anyway damn nothing to say, u said it all [GREAT FKN JOB by the way]. I've heard ST. ANGER so many FKN times and I DON'T LIKE IT, "I FKN LUV IT!"... It's SWEET, after I heard it the first time I was like HOLY S _ _ T and almost brought a tear to my EYE. It has like what, five different styles to it and all styles KICK ASS... 2 weeks and waiting. Yeah the Lyrics repeat but they are so FKN HONEST that I FEEL 'EM through my SOUL... anyway lets keep goin' [and I will catch up DB27]
Old 05-29-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
Well I was able to get the good quality 7 minute studio album version and must say I'm loving the song more and more. The radio edit just rushes the song way to damn much. I absolutely agree db about it feeling like a roller coaster. I thought that the first time I heard it. Anyway I cant believe its less than two weeks to go because I am dying to hear this ****ing record!

YEAHHHHH!!
I AGREE!. I just heard the FULL non-radio version and F _ _ K it's complete and way better [and like u said It does'nt feel rushed]. It builds up to each style. I don't think I can listen to the radio/video version anymore ... ST. ANGER is gonna be the S _ _ T!... Now I wanna hear "FRANTIC" [complete]

[MY BIRTHDAY - 2 DAYS= METALLICA's "ST ANGER!"] YEAH!!!

Last edited by gerrythedon; 05-29-03 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-29-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I love it. Best thing since Justice.
Old 05-29-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YEAHHHHH!!

Are they cutting it up at your stations? Mine never cuts songs down, unless the single was released like that. I know some stations do though. Just wondering.
Old 05-29-03, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Ergyu
Are they cutting it up at your stations? Mine never cuts songs down, unless the single was released like that. I know some stations do though. Just wondering.
well I dont listen to radio so the only place I've heard the radio edit is mtv. have you heard both vesions? the album version has like two more minutes which allows various parts of the song to build more tension.
Old 05-29-03, 12:57 PM
Suspended

I was able to download a full live version of Frantic from their 5-22-03 show, and even though the quality aint that great, we definetly have another winner!!!
Old 05-29-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not heard anything else yet...but after listening to St. Anger a few more times I am not impressed at all. This album better be better than this. However I have read great reviews and I have read some scathing reviews and time will tell if I like it or not after I purchase the CD.
Old 05-29-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was able to download a full live version of Frantic from their 5-22-03 show, and even though the quality aint that great, we definetly have another winner!!!
I was also able to obtain that version, I've got just one thing to say. . .

frantic. tic. tic. tic. tic. tic. tic.tic. tic. toc!

Rob does a fine job with the backing vocals a la Jason.
Old 05-29-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

YEAHHHHH!!

Yeah, that version has a much better pace to it, oh man I'm so damn excited. I've got June 10th off to enjoy St. Anger's Day in full.
Old 05-30-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Too bad Rob Trujillo didn't get to play bass on the album, that might have given me a glimmer of interest with this release. Instead we get Bob Rock playing the bass instead. Geez... yet another Metallica release where the bass is treated like the idiot step child. Makes you miss Cliff Burton even more (and even Jason Newsted at this point).

And I read somewhere on here that there isn't going to be any guitar solos? So does Kirk even play on the album then??? Sounds like the Lars and James show all over again (circa 1988).

Anyway, the single sounds like Metallica is trying to get back to their "roots", riffing away like an old Slayer tune from the early 80's, but too bad the verse stops the song cold, very "Nothing Else Matters"-isque. It's as jarring as changing the radio station back and forth. The background vocals almost give it that rap "nu" metal feel. James's lyrics are way to simplistic (maybe repetitive is a better word?) for a song of this length and I'm not sure that the sweet sing-songy vocals was a good idea. Probably should have went with the growl.

Ah... oh well. This isn't a threadcrap, just the cold hard objectivity of an ex-Metallica fan.
Old 05-30-03, 12:23 AM

The demos of the songs I've heard sound better than anything on load or reload. But then again so does a bowel movement.

If the demos sound good I can't wait to hear the finished product.

Last edited by tomveil; 05-30-03 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-30-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw (and heard) the video of the title track and it seems to me that Metallica have a problem with "letting go" and "cutting loose" with the song. Just as soon as they get into a groove they purposely disrupt the whole thing, often turning the rhythm into something jarring and repetitive.

I love some parts of the song (mainly those that actually have a melody), but overall, my first impression of it is that the band has the "rock" down but can't quite grasp the "roll" aspect.
Old 05-30-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Disgruntled Deftone
-----

DEFTONES frontman Chino Moreno spoke to Revolver magazine about the group's stint on the upcoming Summer Sanitarium trek. "A big problem for me was opening for LIMP BIZKIT and LINKIN PARK, two bands that wouldn't exist if it weren't for me, straight up!" the singer is quoted as saying in the magazine's August 2003 issue. "But in the end I'm seriously energized and I'm not going out there to make friends and kick it."

Regarding the tour's headliners, Moreno said, "METALLICA have a vast catalog. But live? Motherf'rs just stand there and play. We're gonna rock out their sh1t. We're gonna blow that motherfr up."

----

I got no problems with his statement, except that he says that Metallica "just stand there and play" Are you kidding me? Clearly he hasn't ever seen Metallica live, cuz they are all over the place. That is a ridiculous statement.
Old 05-30-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darqleo
Too bad Rob Trujillo didn't get to play bass on the album, that might have given me a glimmer of interest with this release. Instead we get Bob Rock playing the bass instead. Geez... yet another Metallica release where the bass is treated like the idiot step child. Makes you miss Cliff Burton even more (and even Jason Newsted at this point).

And I read somewhere on here that there isn't going to be any guitar solos? So does Kirk even play on the album then??? Sounds like the Lars and James show all over again (circa 1988).

It is too bad that they had not found a bass player prior to recording, but that doesn't mean the Bob Rock can't do a decent enough job with it. That at the time was the best alternative, and in know way was it treated the same way Newstead was.

And, yes you are correct, no guitar solos. Kirk plays on the whole album, it's not like in the past he only plays solos. He had the same amount of input on this album as everyone else, and they all felt that the songs didn't need solo's. This release is so far from the Lars and James show, you have no idea. The first time that they all collaborated on every aspect of the process, from lyrics to riffs, to drum kicks.

Last edited by db27; 05-30-03 at 10:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.