Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3D on DVD??? Well, they're on eBay.

Old 05-14-03, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2299

What's the word? Are these pirates?

Actually, I might answer my own question when I say that no legitimate business has these listed and it seems strange that a seemingly 'R1' disc would have non-removable Japanese subtitles

So.... yeah

-------

PS: Pardon if this has been mentioned before. I did try to search first, but "3D" fell under the 4 letter minimum and I didn't want to sift through the umpteen F13 threads on censorship and wishing for a box set / SE treatment/s.
Old 05-14-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, bootlegged DVD-Rs, dubbed from the long OOP Japanese VHD videodiscs from 1990.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 05-14-03 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 02:09 PM

Geez... those pirates, mate. I'll give em points for trying - the covers [some of them] looks so neat / realistic.

What shocks me is how many 'highly rated' sellers are selling this pirate crap. But that's another debate indeed.

Thanks for the feedback and confirmation. Will avoid like the plague.
Old 05-15-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
The thing is that it requires the use of LCD Shutter Glasses to experience the 3D effect of this presentation. No other type of 3D glasses will do.
They go for around $150 - $200
Not to bad a price,but if only to view one movie,not worth it really.
Old 05-15-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They sell movies on Ebay that haven't come out yet? I wonder if Star Wars is out on DVD yet???

It's like buying a TIVO so you can fast forward through American Idol to see who wins before anyone else.
Old 05-15-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You click the right thread?
Old 05-15-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The shutter glasses sell for way, way less than that, VHS?. Go to Best Buy, Tower or Fry's and you'll find 3-D systems containing three DVDs, two pairs of shutter glasses and the system for $70. Glasses and systems sell for under $40 by themselves. These are compatible with any 3-D movie in the format.

Just be aware that while there are several true 3-D titles on DVD, there are also ordinary flat movies (such as Night of the Living Dead) being adverstised as converted to 3-D. This is a joke, don't fall for it.

Here are the real 3-D ones out so far on legitmate DVDs (not bootlegs) in field sequential format:

ENCOUNTER IN THE THIRD DIMENSION
ULTIMATE Gs
HAUNTED CASTLE
SOS PLANET
ALIEN ADVENTURE
CAMP BLOOD
HUNTING SEASON
ZOMBIE CHRONICLES
EROTEK

On VHS; you can also find real 3-D titles like EYES OF THE WEREWOLF, V WORLD MATRIX, CAMP BLOOD 2 and lots more adult titles. These will hit DVD at some point.

The flat movies advertised as being in 3-D to avoid are:

RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
MONSTER FROM A PREHISTORIC PLANET
DEMENTIA 13
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE
Old 05-15-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Steve Phillips

Just be aware that while there are several true 3-D titles on DVD, there are also ordinary flat movies (such as Night of the Living Dead) being adverstised as converted to 3-D. This is a joke, don't fall for it.

Here are the real 3-D ones out so far on legitmate DVDs (not bootlegs) in field sequential format:

ENCOUNTER IN THE THIRD DIMENSION
ULTIMATE Gs
HAUNTED CASTLE
SOS PLANET
ALIEN ADVENTURE
CAMP BLOOD
HUNTING SEASON
ZOMBIE CHRONICLES
EROTEK

On VHS; you can also find real 3-D titles like EYES OF THE WEREWOLF, V WORLD MATRIX, CAMP BLOOD 2 and lots more adult titles. These will hit DVD at some point.

The flat movies advertised as being in 3-D to avoid are:

RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
MONSTER FROM A PREHISTORIC PLANET
DEMENTIA 13
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE

Wow! This ia awesome that you posted this... I've been researching these to see what they are and if they're worth it.
What about these titles??

-World's Greastest Roller Coaster Thrills (Image)

-America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills #1 (Image)

-America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills #2 (Image)

-Girls: Wet & Wild (Simitar)

-Seven Doors Of Death (Slingshot)

-Dinosaurs And Other Amazing Creatures in 3-D (Simitar)

and... Why is the 3-D Horror boxed set I
"TRUE" 3-D, but the 3-D Horror boxed set II is not?? Boxed set II contains Dementia 13, LSOH, and NOTLD.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-16-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

neat! I wish they would release a REAL offical version of it in 3-D.

also... any news on Jaws 3-D? It's the only Jaws movie not yet on DVD. I miss 3D movies, I remember seeing them as a kid in the early and mid 80's, what happened? Why don't they do 3D movies anymore? I can see it now... Scary Movie 3D, American Pie 3D, Matrix 3D, Star Wars Episode 3D
Old 05-16-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SEVEN DOORS OF DEATH is actual Fulci's THE BEYOND, edited down, panned and scanned, and processed for use with 3-D glasses, but like the others, isn't in 3-D for real.

The roller coaster and other titles you mentioned are not 3-D either, they are attempts to exploit the "pulfrich illusion", which occurs naturally in some moving camera shots. You can experiment with this phenomenon youself by shooting out of a car's passenger window while driving with any camcorder. Go home, pop in the tape and cover your RIGHT eye with a sunglass lens, and you will see a 3-D illusion whenever the camera was moving. If the camera stops moving, the 3-D illusion goes away. This only works for a few seconds at a time, but many music videos, cartoons, sitcoms, even a Superbowl halftime show have played with this idea. Almost always, they didn't know how to do it and the effect didn't come off.

13 EROTIC GHOSTS in "3-D" also uses this idea. It doesn't work, because, again, the filmakers didn't really get the concept.

I hate the fact that all this "fake" 3-D stuff is out the because it only serves to confuse and irritate people.

JAWS 3-D and lots of other real 3-D movies were released in real 3-D in Japan years ago and bootleggers are making lots of $$$ selling dubs. Too bad the studios won't put out the 3-D versions themselves. Universal releases JAWS 3-D next month, but flat and retitled JAWS 3.

Actually there are lots of 3-D movies being made now. Most of them are in IMAX 3-D, so they play in special venues only.
GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS in playing in IMAX 3-D (which looks great) and polarized gray glasses 80s type 35mm 3-D (which is fair) now.

Though shot with Cameron's excellent new cameras, SPY KIDS 3-D will use the red/blue technique (not good) in most theatres this summer. Hopefully, a superior IMAX version might play in limited release as well. After all, no how good the cameras are, if the actual presentation in local theatres is poor, it doesn't help. I wouldn't expect much from this one, but kids will probably have fun.

A few sexploitation flicks that have red/blue 3-D footage wil be coming from Pathfinder on DVD as well.
Old 05-16-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spy Kids 3-D?? Thats awesome.
Hopefully if it is successful the studios will do more of these, I think it's time for the 3-D movie to make a comeback!
Old 05-16-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

James Cameron is saying he's going to do a 3-D feature film. IMAX 3-D is great but expensive, so they're going to have to keep working on the projection in regular theatres. It isn't good enough right now. GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS is proof of that.

SPY KIDS 3-D has 3-D sequences; the entire film isn't stereoscopic.
Old 05-16-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can always count on Steve Phillips,master 3-D guru
Thanks for coming in on this and letting us in on the truth and lies about 3-D movies.After all,you know your 3-D movies
I still need to find that one movie in 3-D we talked about few months back.

Can 3-D still work on plasma screens though?I thought I read that it doesnt work.I may have read wrong though.I dont see why not seeing as with a plasma and hdtv,your getting damn near 3-D quality anyway!I swear I can reach in my tv and grab things
Old 05-16-03, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by SMART-ASS
Wow! This ia awesome that you posted this... I've been researching these to see what they are and if they're worth it.
What about these titles (in 3-D)??
[dream sequence] As soon as they release "Wet & Wild Girls on Roller Coasters" I'm there!!! [/dream sequence]
Old 05-17-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well i saw the "3D" set that includes Night of the Living Dead ect.

Yet if these really do work on real 3-D films. It would be worth picking up. I've always wanted to see Jaws 3 & F13th part 3 in 3-d. Yet since the revials never play here in MN. I always have to miss & am stuck with 2-d vhs or dvd wondering 'what if!'.

Though since the dvds for those 2 films are obviously boots on DVD-R right? That means they can't play on my player..at least according to the manual. It's a early RCA model. Then again the manual said it does'nt play various VCDS & such,yet turns out it does play PAL vcds among other things. So who knows.