Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

my A NIGHT TO REMEMBER CC no longer works!

Old 04-29-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts

A DIVX perhaps?
I'ved been a proud owner of Criterion's a Night to Remember spine #7 for about 2 years now and last night when I decided to give it a spin-It would not be able to read and play in my DVD player at all!
I had the same DVD player ever since and my NIGHT TO REMEMBER has been sitting on my shelve since as well (disc still in perfect shape and has never ever been loan out to anyone).
The scare made me rush to check-up on all my Criterions-and luckily all my other CCs worked fine.
I also gave Mr. Jon Mulvaney of CC my message as well,so hopefully he can replace it or work something out.
Anyone encounter this problem before,especially all the NIGHT TO REMEMBER CC owners?
Old 04-30-03, 12:13 AM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord. Some discs build up static when left for quite a while. I usually use some liquid Ivory Soap, or if it still won't play, I have the manual SkipDoctor and give it a whirl. Choice is yours, but I would bet it's has a static build up. If you get too close to your TV or HDTV you'll feel or hear a static electricity build up even though it has a 'glass' surface.

Another Criterion I own is called "Hopscotch" with Walter Matheau. If you like actor Kenneth More (2nd officer Herbert Lightoller) he will be in the May 20th release of "Sink The Bismark" B & W Widescreen, a bloody good movie, it's a well watched Vhs pre-record. Good luck on your finding the best way for you, as it will happen again and again.
Old 04-30-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try it on another player, ps2 or xbox, dvdrom....see if it does it on all if you can. I cringe whenever someone has a problem like this. hope it all comes out well...keep us informed.
Old 04-30-03, 01:27 AM

danol- so you mean the disc gets static build up from being too close to the tv and all that electricity ? or does the disc get static build up all on it's own? ,anyways-I already tried cleaning it with water,liquid soap and toothpaste and none of it worked! skipdoctor-I do not own.

gutwrencher-tried it with both of my DVD player and the xbox but no such luck. Let's hope Mr. Mulvaney will come thru for us.
Old 04-30-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ummm...toothpaste?! I'd imagine that would only worsen any problems with the DVD playing.
Old 04-30-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I expect Criterion will replace the disc if there's a problem. Back in the LD days my LD copy of A Night To Remember rotted, and Criterion replaced it free - and that was a $100 item.
Old 04-30-03, 10:07 AM
Rest in Peace

Don't ever use toothpaste

Toothpase is gritting for removing stuff from your teeth, Standing next to your TV doesn't put static on the dics.

Static can buildup on any surface like rugs, if you shuffle your feet then touch something metalic you'll get a shock.

If you don't have SkipDoctor then I would suggest your trying to return it like the other member said. I have never had any problems wih "A Night To Remember" but them I watch it about 7 times a year.

Like gutwrencher said please keep us informed, I hope you get it ceared up.
The SkipDoctor uses radial cleaning, in other words while turning the wheel, it cleans accross 'not' around the disc.
Old 04-30-03, 10:26 AM
Defunct Account

FWIW, I popped my copy of ANTR in, and it plays fine. I haven't watched it in over a year. (But I think I will tonight....great flick.)

-Videophile
Old 04-30-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if the titanic could sink...so could a criterion disc.
Old 04-30-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by danol
Some discs build up static when left for quite a while.
huh?
Old 04-30-03, 07:32 PM
Rest in Peace

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning One of my favorite tunes from "Spanky (Woman named McFarland) and Our Gang" back in the sixties. You could sum it up as man, in this case Criterion against the elements of nature.

"Let me hold you in my arms on Sunday Morning......I'll put coffee on to brew and we can do, what other people do, on Sunday Morning............."~Spanky and Our Gang"
Old 04-30-03, 07:40 PM
Rest in Peace

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning One of my favorite tunes from "Spanky (Woman named McFarland) and Our Gang" back in the sixties. You could sum it up as man, in this case Criterion against the elements of nature.

"Let me hold you in my arms on Sunday Morning......I'll put coffee on to brew and we can do, what other people do, on Sunday Morning............."~Spanky and Our Gang"
Old 05-01-03, 01:30 PM

just got this in my mail

Dear DLf,

That's bizarre. I don't know why a DVD would cease to function like that.It sounds like you have a faulty disc.

I believe your best bet would be to return your copy of A Night to Remember directly through Criterion. Please send the faulty DVD to our offices at:

The Criterion Collection
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Attn: Jon Mulvaney

As soon as we receive your disc, we will send a replacement A Night to Remember to you. Please enclose a mailing address (U.S. and Canadian addresses only - we are unable to ship exchanges abroad) with your DVD.

Thank you very much for your commitment to the Criterion Collection.

Best,
JM

So it looks like a standard defective disc exchange procedure
ala Back to the Future etc., with a really quick reply from Jon and his CC gang.I just hope they don't send the disc back via Media Rate.
Old 05-01-03, 06:12 PM

That's great news that they're willing to stand behind their products like that. I think Disney is also another company that is good about replacing faulty discs, but I think you might have to pay some money to make the exchange.

Most companies just tell you to return it to the retailer where you bought it, even though they know full well that most retailers will not make an exchange after 30 days or so.

Here's a slightly off topic question, do DVDs have any type of warranty period, in which the manufacturers are required to replace them if they turn out to be defective?
Old 05-01-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: just got this in my mail

Originally posted by davidlynchfan
So it looks like a standard defective disc exchange procedure
ala Back to the Future etc., with a really quick reply from Jon and his CC gang.I just hope they don't send the disc back via Media Rate.
great news....glad you'll get it replaced. I still worry though about delamination and other problems which may grow worse over time. guess when they are oop...we are s.o.l. just wish they would last another 30 or 40 years. again, congrats and good job.
Old 05-01-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Criterion are good guys.
Old 05-01-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Danol, I prefer this version of sunday morning by the velvet underground:

Sunday morning, praise the dawning
It's just a restless feeling by my side
Early dawning, Sunday morning
It's just the wasted years so close behind

Watch out, the world's behind you
There's always someone around you who will call
It's nothing at all

Sunday morning and I'm falling
I've got a feeling I don't want to know
Early dawning, Sunday morning
It's all the streets you crossed, not so long ago

It's nothing at all

It's nothing at all

Sunday morning
Sunday morning
Sunday morning
Old 05-03-03, 02:12 AM

davidlynchfan; I went to watch my copy of A Night To Remember CC last night and also could not play it in my xbox.

Just tested on another player ... nada

Reckon criterion will replace my copy - I live in Australia.
Old 05-03-03, 02:28 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I better pray that my OOP CC won't cease to play like that

Criterion may not have OOP discs sitting around for exchanges, do they?
Old 05-03-03, 10:52 AM

About 6 months or so ago I lent my copy of ANTR to a friend to watch and he said it wouldn't play at all. Sure enough, I tried it on several players and then several more players from friends...no go on any of them. Simply would not load.

Criterion did replace it but it seems from this thread that there is surely a problem with the original pressing.

clemdog
Old 05-03-03, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by MrMacabre
davidlynchfan; I went to watch my copy of A Night To Remember CC last night and also could not play it in my xbox.

Just tested on another player ... nada

Reckon criterion will replace my copy - I live in Australia.
Anyone here from the U.S. wanna help a brother out?
I would if I didn't already exchange mines.
Your best bet MrMacabre is to find a penpal from the U.S. to do it for ya.Hope you find a way!
Old 05-03-03, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by davidlynchfan
Anyone here from the U.S. wanna help a brother out?
I would if I didn't already exchange mines.
Your best bet MrMacabre is to find a penpal from the U.S. to do it for ya.Hope you find a way!
LOL; I wish I knew more people here... but I find it moves a bit too fast here for me [post wise] so I tend to chill back and just read instead of posting.

As for exchanges, does anyone have an email or postal addy for Criterion? A while ago I had a problem with my Heathers LTD Ed Tin so I sent it back to Anchor Bay. Sure enough, a month later I got the replacement in the mail. Was totally stoked at their customer service and am hoping Criterion will be the same.

Both studios release awesome DVDs and seem to have a good reputation. [even tho the AOD fiasco's peeved me a bit. I guess limited doesn't mean limited]