Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

April Fool's game site stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April Fool's game site stories

I just wanted to see if any of you had come across any good April fool's sites. I know that Gamepro has a bunch of funny stuff like Capcom Dating All-Stars, and American Idol Sims. Any other good stuff out there?

EDIT: The screenshots under the "Animal Projects" news story are hilarious!
Old 04-01-03, 01:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I saw one site that had an article about a wrestling game... that featuring rap stars! I was cracking up reading about it, but the best part was the title: Def Jam Vendetta.
Old 04-01-03, 01:28 PM

I'm sorry if I'm missing some sarcasm, but I believe it's the sad truth that Def Jam Vendetta is a real game.
Old 04-01-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the joke was that it was supposed to come out today.
Old 04-01-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
I think the best April's fools was Gamefaqs last year. They turned their whole site green instead of blue, and said it was completed devoted to XBOX only from then on because it was the best system out. When I realized what day it was (about 10 seconds later) I almost fell out of my chair laughing. As much as I love my XBOX, that was funny stuff.
Old 04-01-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gamespot has a story about Activision releasing the original Zork trilogy on Xbox.

"Activision plans on harnessing the power of the Xbox to enhance the gameplay experience, offering features such as custom soundtracks, 1080p progressive scan support, 5.1 stereo surround sound, and, of course, support for Xbox Live."

Check out these graphics:

Old 04-01-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TheGIA used to put out some really elaborate jokes. I remember the Final Fantasy Dance Revolution they had complete with mp3 samples and graphics. They had a really bad joke last year though that regulars of the site know all too well because it turned out it wasn't a joke .
Old 04-01-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the Fighter Stick Advance April Fool's article IGN Pocket ran last year. The preview of the 'Light Gun Advance' was a great touch.

Old 04-01-03, 07:08 PM

This isn't exactly video game related but I thought it was pretty funny. CNET Downloader's guide: Pro-Virus Tools.
Old 04-01-03, 08:20 PM
Banned

I'm surprised that there really wasn't as much as last year. I really like reading the jokes only to realize 30 seconds later what day it is.
Old 04-01-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best video game related one this year that got me was that The Screen Savers show was going to be taken off the air for a period of time. Their e-mail newsletter made it sound like it was due to the XBOX mods segments they started.

That is one of the few shows I watch anymore so I'm glad it was complete BS.
Old 04-01-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was expecting more from IGN, but this is all I found:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/391/391844p1.html
Old 04-02-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
It is just sad though that they have to post this at the end of the article so they don't get a 1,000 emails from 1,000 idiots:

IGNcube will not have more on this crap April Fool's story as it doesn't happen.

I liked Lamepro's preview of the new Daredevil game. Since the character you play is blind, all the screen shots were just a plain black screen.

They also had Super Monkey Vice City - Monkeys in balls with guns rolling around the city capping people. They even had a couple of mocked up photos. Good stuff.
Old 04-03-03, 10:27 AM

Gamespot had a story about how a new study had determined that playing video games makes you more attractive to the opposite sex.

That has to be a joke.

(I think they took it down now so that pretty much confirms it....it was a funny story though.)
Old 04-03-03, 03:15 PM

One forum the other day had a sticky in all the topics that said, (the best that I can remember)

"Due to the rising bandwidth costs and server costs, we will have to eliminate all new members and any members who have less than 250 posts. We're sorry that we've had to resort to these actions, but the only way we could avoid this is to have at least 500 members contribute $5 to help in keeping this site running at it's full potential."

Hehe!!

For the rest of the day the site was bombarded with hundreds of B.S. posts and threads.

I don't know how much money they actually made.
Old 04-03-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dang I guess that American Idol game is real. I thought it was an April Fool's joke!