Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

NexPak THINPak cases.... an hands on conversion report...

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

NexPak THINPak cases.... an hands on conversion report...

Old 03-27-03, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NexPak THINPak cases.... a hands on conversion report...

Well, I had ordered a stack of the 'thick doubles' (Andromeda, MASH, Die Hard) style for some conversions from www.sleevetown.com) and on a lark I got a 10-pack of the THINPak's.

My My..

Took a spin and did a quick conversion of MST3K: The Movie and WOW this is sharp.

Pros and Cons-

Pros: slim, neat and tidy. Just one disc thin and I can see where it will make mailing MUCH easier. Cover conversion is a snap, just resize the spine.

Cons: Unless you order the clear (dumdum got black) no place to tuck an insert, and even then to 'back cover' the inserts will require double sided printing. No way to just stick in the insert in, since the case has a disc holder on both halves of the case (no more comming loose, so this is a pro/con both). Spine text will be a little small if you try to maintain a lot of the existing fonts, so get ready for nice clean block fonts.

For those wanting to get a head start and try to convert your own to see how they look..

over all size 183.75 x 265.11 mm
front/back 183.75 x 129.18 mm
spine 183.75 x 6.75 mm

now, I'm off to order another case (65, for $33.80) or two.

DVD Coverart better open a section for THINpak's..

er... anyone got scans of the new Family Guy and Futurama's??? I want to transfer my R2 to the new cases..

Last edited by Londo; 03-28-03 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-27-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whoa that's a little to tiny for my eyes. I have ahard enough time reading ellie's A.I. cover.
Old 03-27-03, 04:58 PM

No offense, but I think you're rushing things a little. It's no problem that you want to convert your own collection, but major studios aren't going to make the change over night. Also, why not just make covers for new movies you get to fit the "regular" keep cases
Old 03-27-03, 05:07 PM

I wouldn't be too sure of that... FOX already has used them for the new Family Guy and Futurama releases.. and to lift a few quotes from a press release on the NexPak (www.nexpak.com)

"As the market leader in media packaging solutions, NEXPAK announced today that its THINpak case currently runs down Sony Disc Manufacturing's automation lines. At half the thickness of a standard DVD case, the patented THINpak offers an alternative packaging design with full automation capabilities for one of the world's largest disc replicators."

"Sony Disc Manufacturing has successfully completed equipment upgrades to accommodate the THINpak case in its highly automated assembly and packaging operation,"

"For retailers, the THINpak saves space on retail shelves at half the thickness of an Amaray® case while maintaining standard height and width for DVD packaging."

"The THINpak has been gaining substantial exposure and usage by several big studios and content providers and the ability to run down an industry-leading replicator line further supports the use of this innovative packaging solution for any media release"

-------

The name of the game in retailig is SHELF SPACE. If you can stick twice as many discs in a slot in the NexPak's than in a standard Amray/Alpha, then you think that they won't use it? Also, if you can print on the INSIDE cover using a clear case (as is done on most R2/R4 releases) then you can put the contents of a standard card insert on the inside of the cover/front. Saves time, cost and keeps you from losing the blasted thing and (on the R2/R4 covers, they can tout other discs on the inside printing/back...

They will come along faster than you think

Last edited by Londo; 03-27-03 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-27-03, 06:08 PM

Only good thing about these new cases as far as I'm concerned is that you can print a full cover on a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 without any tape or tricks. I still think that if they're going to do that, though, they might as well go for cd jewel cases - they save space in all directions.
Old 03-27-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I do NOT like them at all ....PERIOD!!!
Old 03-28-03, 11:45 AM

bunnydojo..

yes, it will do an 81/2 x 11 sheet with no problems. and as for going for CD Jewel Cases, altho it would make sense, they won't becasuse -

1) the only thing this is doing is reducing the thickness, not the front/back surface area, that is the 'eye catcher' for the product and what will (usually) be face front.

2) if they went to CD Jewel's, then we whould have to either have the the titles in those dammable CD carriers or locked up behind doors because of theft issues (easy to pocket a jewel case, these still have the overall 'bulk' of a normal alpha/amray.

3) the average Joe Six Pack wouldn't be able to cope. 'Dem aint DVDs they aint big enouh" or they would think they could put them in CD players, they wouldn't work and then be returning them.

For series of movies or like titles these will be fantastic. I've already converted all my MST3K covers and they look great.
Old 03-29-03, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Londo
bunnydojo..

yes, it will do an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet with no problems. and as for going for CD Jewel Cases, altho it would make sense, they won't becasuse ....
Agreed. CD Jewel Cases would be a no go. Another HUGE con: Those suckers are brittle as heck, esp. the hinge. How many jewel cases have you had to replace because the (top/bottom) hinge broke off or the cover/back cracked?
i'll have to admit though, if the Super Jewel Box King was cheaper and more widely available, i'd be tempted snatch a bunch of these up (esp. for replacing snapper cases):

SPECS:
• Dimensions:
- In mm: 190,0 x 142,2 x 10,4
- In inches : 7.5"x 5.6"x 0.4"
• The Super Jewel Box King One with single-disc spindle, to hold one disc.
• The Super Jewel Box King Two, has a double-disc spindle, to stack two discs, on top of each other

BENEFITS:
• Attractive look and feel for high perceived value;
• Similar design to the world standard jewel case;
• Clear visibility to graphics outside, inside and on all four spines;
• No need for top spine UPC sticker;
• Flexibility of inserts, from single page up to 50 page catalogue;
• Stronger hinges, clasp and walls for greater durability;
Thin profile (nine SJB "King" fit in the space of three VHS cassettes or six units of competitive DVD boxes);
• Smaller master cartons mean lower costs and more compact storage;
• Acceptance (and recommendations) by leading DVD manufacturers;
• Ease of auto loading for lower costs and high volume inventory management;
• Overall low cost

Last edited by RaMMaR; 03-29-03 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-30-03, 12:05 PM

My CD jewel case suggestion was more sarcasm than an actual suggestion. As far as I'm concerned the only positive aspect of thinpaks is printing. All of the other positive aspects are cancelled out by negative aspects...

For instance:
+ Thinner and thus less space consuming
- Harder-to-read spines
- Collection looks less 'impressive' and its harder to just browse titles

As far as I'm concerned, the only place they really should use thin paks is a place like Blockbuster because they store their titles with the front showing, as opposed to most people who store them with the spine out.
Old 04-04-03, 08:08 PM

I do NOT like them at all ....PERIOD!!!
Neither do I.
Old 04-05-03, 01:20 PM
mdX

I'm not a fan at all, but I haven't made a decision as to how dvdcoverart will support thinpaks yet
Old 04-05-03, 07:46 PM

mdx...

well, if the original is a thinpak (Futurama, Family Guy).. the point is moot isn't it?
and if people want to have converts available (snapper/regular keepcase >> thinpak) then they would be just a valid as a snapper>>keep case conversion would they not? (as would a thin-pak to standard keepcase).

simple solution.. four new categories..

thin to thick
thick to thin
custom thin

and for the daring...

original thin

oh ghods, I can hear puns starting already...

"DVDCoverarl will stick by your cover needs thru thick and thin..."
Old 04-05-03, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by bunnydojo
- Harder-to-read spines
so? is there really a need to read them from across the room? If you are looking for something, you will usually be standing fairly close.
- Collection looks less 'impressive' and its harder to just browse titles
ahh.. all flash and no substance? sorry, getting back 8 linear feet of shelf space was more than worth it. Sorry, 'impressive' dosen't do a lot.. if you want to 'impress' find a shelf and put the full cover full face out.

The 'harder to browse' can be fixed by using less ornate and and elaborate fonts. I ended up redoing the MST3K's in a plain bloc font (with the correct background) and they read just fine.
Old 04-05-03, 09:25 PM
mdX

Originally posted by Londo

simple solution.. four new categories..

thin to thick
thick to thin
custom thin
original thin
I can tell you now that's not how we will do it. Most likely the categories will not change, but we will add 2 new sizes (thinpak single and thinpak double). We may have to adjust the credit system as I don't want people downloading a cover from the site, resizing the spine to a thinpak, then uploading it back. for most covers, there's no need to have it in several different sizes when someone can download it and make the necessary changes in 5 minutes.

and I can't imagine that too many people want to take the time and effort to convert their entire collections from regular keepcases to thinpaks (I sure don't, but I could be wrong)
Old 04-05-03, 10:07 PM

I can't imagine that too many people want to take the time and effort to convert their entire collections from regular keepcases to thinpaks (I sure don't, but I could be wrong)
I certainly have no wish to convert my considerable library.
Old 04-08-03, 07:42 PM

I do see one area these might come in handy now. inetdvd seems to be unable to keep any of the bigger size cases, so I might try picking up some of these thinPaks to use for my multi disc sets (mainly TV series) & see if someone (ChrisK probally) could make a custom panoramic spine for however many disc the set is. That way it would still be easily readable. I am thinking of something like DG's Twilight Zone covers.
Old 04-09-03, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am not interested in converting my entire collection to thinpaks. I would, however, like to do a conversion on my Band of Brothers set. Basically, I love the tin, but hate the fold-out cardboard disc holders. I think what I'm going to do is rip that sucker right out of the tin and put 6 thinpaks in its place. So I think there are some worthy applications for these things. And being a person who is currently residing in a small apartment with 3 other people, I can certainly sympathize with the lack of space appeal. I'm lucky if I can find enough shelf space to accomodate more than 50 keepcases.
Old 04-15-03, 10:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have some comments on the Thinkpak cases.

I picked up Family Guy today (haven't gotten to watch it), and it uses these cases.

Let me say upfront I think they are terrible.

Their locking mechanism is off on these cases, the hub is almost as bad as the one Columbia uses on their box sets like MIB LE and Larry Sanders.

I applaud the idea of slimmer cases, but I can't get behind them.
Old 05-04-03, 03:12 PM

I just made a request at DVDCA for thin pak scans of Twilight Zones 1-18. I really want the whole collection to be uniform. Everything from volume 19 on up is in a thin case.

I hope they will at least allow these for special circumstances like TZ! When I started collecting these, I had no idea they were gonna change the way they are packaged.

BTW... This is my first post. Nice to find you guys!

Ric
Old 05-04-03, 05:04 PM

I do see one area these might come in handy now. inetdvd seems to be unable to keep any of the bigger size cases
When they are in stock & I need some I make a large purchase in terms of numbers. Of course my biggest purchase of the 6 & 7 DVD holding cases was my first, so subsequent purchases are slightly smaller. I must be pretty much alone in my complete rejection of the use of smaller size keepcases.
Old 10-17-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Londo, do you still have that MST3K movie cover?

thanks
Old 04-07-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: NexPak THINPak cases.... an hands on conversion report...

Originally Posted by Londo
I wouldn't be too sure of that... FOX already has used them for the new Family Guy and Futurama releases.. and to lift a few quotes from a press release on the NexPak (www.nexpak.com)
Thanks for the link. Never seen their website before. Some cool stuff on there.
Old 08-07-10, 02:59 PM
Banned

Hello Friends!!

Where's the best place to buy high quality black thinpaks?

thanx
Old 08-07-10, 03:18 PM

Try Big Lots or Dollar Tree. I use to buy them from there all the time