TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 3/25/03

Old 03-24-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Buffy 3/25/03

7.17 - "Lies My Parents Told Me"

I thought I'd start this one little early as a reminder that we've finally got a new episode this week after a one-month hiatus.

TV Guide says:
Spoiler:
The Scoobies' failure to nullify the First's hold on Spike inspires Wood to pursue a vendetta as the vampire relives the day his soul was taken away.
Old 03-24-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know when the seasons big guest star returns?? I was hoping Angel and Buffy were chronologically aligned so that it would be this week, but it does not sound like it from that description.

How many new episodes left?
Old 03-24-03, 08:19 PM

Spoiler:
In tomorrow's episode, Willow gets a call from Fred and says she has to leave to few days. So... this episode actually takes place before the last 3 eps of Angel. Next week she should return with Faith.
Old 03-24-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spoiler:
and the entire angel cast will be in the series finale
Old 03-24-03, 10:38 PM

must not highlight spoilers that i know are about
Spoiler:
eliza dushku's return
to the show. will post thoughts tomorrow after (or if) it airs.
Old 03-25-03, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rypro.... really? That would be so cool if it happens.
Old 03-25-03, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since this airs on Monday where I live, I already saw it. I will spoiler, even though I won't give any specific plot points:

Spoiler:
I have to say that it was pretty dissapointing, IMO. With so few episodes left, I was hoping that this would be an action filled and plot driven show, but to me, very little of either happened.

This is the impression that I got from the ending of the show, so while not a real spoiler, I will spoil it just in case:

Spoiler:
To me, the most surprising thing is that Buffy is starting to come off as very unlikeable (to me anyway, mostly because of Spike). I don't know if it is just me, or some kind of character angle, which would be strange considering how close the end is.
Old 03-25-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Good ep.

Compared to Angel [Based on some of the season 3 eps and other various things i've seen], I really didn't care for Spike that much. Tonite's ep changed that. Made him [in my eyes] more tragic.

I liked the whole "trigger, chip, soul" exchange.

The end of Giles' conversation gave me a little bit of a chill...[considering our current world situation]

Andrew: "Willow, call for you from LA..somebody named Fred..guy sounds effeminate."

Willow: "Maybe i'll bring back some good news.." We know what that good news will be, huh?

Remember..it's all about the mission..

And..Bcolon, I coulda sworn I saw a promo saying nine hours of Buffy left..but that would make 25 eps total. And since a season is [most times] 22 eps that would mean only five left..but, I could be wrong..feel free to correct me.
Old 03-25-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rypro, huh? The only character/actor thus far guaranteed to be in the series finale of BTVS is
Spoiler:
Mr. David Boreanaz
Old 03-25-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And..Bcolon, I coulda sworn I saw a promo saying nine hours of Buffy left..but that would make 25 eps total. And since a season is [most times] 22 eps that would mean only five left..but, I could be wrong..feel free to correct me. [/B]
at the end of tonights episode...they said 8....and yea, I too am thinking is my math a little off, or this season gonna be longer than 22 eps
Old 03-25-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
So when is the next new episode?

Great episode, lots of deep meaning for the characters IMO. More later.
Old 03-25-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
I coulda sworn I saw a promo saying nine hours of Buffy left
UPN is touting 8 final "weeks", which could mean only 5-6 episodes if we're lucky.............
Old 03-25-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
This is the impression that I got from the ending of the show, so while not a real spoiler, I will spoil it just in case:

Spoiler:
To me, the most surprising thing is that Buffy is starting to come off as very unlikeable (to me anyway, mostly because of Spike). I don't know if it is just me, or some kind of character angle, which would be strange considering how close the end is.
After watching this episode I have to agree with this assessment
Spoiler:
The end exchange with Giles where Buffy says "I've learned everything I need to know from you" was just offputting. So was the final conversation between her and Wood. I'm hoping that her decision to keep Spike with her comes around and bites her in the ass at the end of the series. She's giving lectures about no personal issues but the only real reason Spike is still around is because of personal reasons.

Interesting episode overall. Did the previews for next week look like a rerun to anyone else or was it just me.
Old 03-25-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lisadoris
Did the previews for next week look like a rerun to anyone else or was it just me.

Yes, it's a rerun. It's "Sleeper", the one when we see Spike meet the woman in the bar and then takes her back to her house for a "bite".
Old 03-25-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
I enjoyed this episode and the insight into Spike's background. I think Buffy is through with Giles now.
Old 03-25-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Spike stuff was good.

Buffy on the other hand... Are they trying to turn her into a bitch on purpose? The entire point about her being alone in her mission/duty goes against the previous shows. All of a sudden no one else matters? By any logic whatsoever, she should have killed Spike a long time ago and by not doing so (and threatening the Principal) makes her look like a hypocrite.

D
Old 03-25-03, 10:49 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see why Buffy should kill Spike. If they're really worried about Spike turning on them against the First, they could send him to help Angel. Spike's done more to redeem himself than Anya, Willow, or Andrew have.
Old 03-25-03, 11:20 PM

And..Bcolon, I coulda sworn I saw a promo saying nine hours of Buffy left..but that would make 25 eps total. And since a season is [most times] 22 eps that would mean only five left..but, I could be wrong..feel free to correct me.
Misleading promo. They said eight weeks, which is true, but three of those weeks will be reruns. Tonight was episode 18, and there will be 22 episodes this season.

The episode was not good for me.

I needed another Spike-centric episode like I needed another BuffySpeech. Last episode was about Andrew, this one about Spike. Xander hasn't had an episode about him for a long, long time. This is horribly unfair.

Worst line of the episode:

Buffy: "The trigger's not active anymore."

The whole Willow situation was odd. She tells Buffy she has to go somewhere, no details, and Buffy's not curious?

Gee. Nice to see Spike's a nice, compassionate guy. Find out you killed a guy's mom, tell him you killed a bunch of mothers. Nice to see a soul doesn't get in the way of being callous and glib.

I didn't think it was possible to dislike Spike more than I did, but this episode made him completely unsympathetic. His big, noble gesture is not killing someone? The fact that he bit Wood, instead of just beating him up, doesn't sit well with me.

Buffy's on the way there herself. Before she finds out Spike's cured, she declares him untouchable. She refuses to see any fault in Spike. She brushes off Giles. And her character is now All. About. Spike. Blah.

I'm foolishly hoping Buffy's refusal to let go of Spike is related to her lingering issues with Angel. She has a new souled vampire who might not be quite as nice or good as the last one, but at least this one will never leave her--Not for her own good, not for anyone's own good.
Old 03-25-03, 11:26 PM

Off topic, but I just thought of something that, IMHO, could make a cool possible spin-off...
It would center around Wood, with him as part of some special teams unit of the Initiative. I know a lot of people aren't too fond of Wood or the Initiative, but I think it could have potential, no pun intended.
Old 03-26-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Buffy gets more and more unlikeable to me every week. I'm referring to the character not the show. She has never been the best at making important decisions before, but this was horrendous. I understand keeping Spike around because he's a good fighter, but there was absolutely NO need to remove the chains before they knew the trigger issue was resolved. I hope someone beats the living crap out of her for being so idiotic this season.

Spoiler:
please Faith knock some sense into her
Old 03-26-03, 01:15 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the threat of Spike killing Wood before the commercial break was so ridiculous. But I will say, Angel took nearly a hundred years to come to terms with his soul. Spike's had his for less than a year.
Old 03-26-03, 02:13 AM
MrN

I hope we seem more of Spike unleashed because Spike-with-a-soul is just an Angel retread.

I'm glad that Wood story is done - I was bored with its long shelf life. Hopefully this where the rousing finish starts.

Not enough Xander or Jonathan in this one so it was mediocre for me - and the Buffy 'attitude' is kinda off.

Is next week's re-run the one where Spike sleeps with Anya?
Old 03-26-03, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by nny
I don't see why Buffy should kill Spike. If they're really worried about Spike turning on them against the First, they could send him to help Angel. Spike's done more to redeem himself than Anya, Willow, or Andrew have.
Buffy has far less sympathy for Anya or Andrew. Andrew killed a lot less people than Spike, and unlike spike, he has remorse. Spike was killing women as little as a few weeks ago. Just this week he knocked Buffy's sister around. Last year he tried to rape Buffy. But since he can throw a good punch he's safe to keep around? Especially without the chip in his head.

Anya was right when she said that Spike has a magical 'get out of jail free' card that doesn't apply to anyone else.

D
Old 03-26-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Andrew: "Willow, call for you from LA..somebody named Fred..guy sounds effeminate."
Loved that line.

Buffy also said something to the effect that Spike is the most powerful weapon they have. Don't suppose Willow might have something to say about it?
Old 03-26-03, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I understand why Buffy doesnt want to kill Spike, he is cool!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.