Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How were you "introduced" to your now favorite band

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How were you "introduced" to your now favorite band
parents
11.11%
sibling
0%
other relative
0%
so [significant other]
0%
radio
16.67%
saw live
5.56%
other
66.67%
don't remember
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, it was my dad. Led Zeppelin
Also SO is significant other.
Old 03-16-03, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew about Tool back in 94 when Sober was on the radio, but it wasnt until a friend took me to see them in concert during the Aenima tour that I became obsessed with them
Old 03-16-03, 05:11 PM
Banned

I was introduced to Radiohead by the radio (Creep).
Old 03-16-03, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the movie Detroit Rock City and immediately loved KISS.
Old 03-16-03, 05:27 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I have several bands that would be in the running for my 'favorite.' I chose other because many of those bands were introduced to me by this Australian metalhead I met on Napster. That guy really took me to school and broadened my horizons. I also think he was several years younger than me which is kinda embarrassing.
Old 03-16-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

favorite "classic" band:

AC/DC by relative

favorite "modern" band:

Radiohead by forum threads a couple of years ago.
Old 03-16-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mmm...my favorites aren't even necessarily the ones I listen to the most, but the ones that I first had a passion for.

Smashing Pumpkins - sister bought "Siamese Dream" after she heard "Today" and "Disarm" on the radio. Still remains one of my favorite albums (and as I've said in many other threads - the first recording I ever heard on CD format).

Sonic Youth - heard "The Diamond Sea" on the radio and bought "Washing Machine" within the week. Hooked me.

Radiohead - "Paranoid Android" was played every hour, on the hour (and several times inbetween) on commercial radio and it never got old to me. Bought "OK Computer" and it still remains one of my favorite albums, just like "Siamese Dream."

Other favorite bands I've heard of through word-of-mouth and then mp3s until I bought the albums.
Old 03-16-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I discovered Coil by hearing their remix work on Nine Inch Nail's Further Down the Spiral. So I guess that makes me Other.
Old 03-16-03, 08:52 PM

My favorite band is Tool, and I first heard them back in the early 90's when sober was on the radio. I liked sober at the time but I was into other bands like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Ministry and Faith No More. I really didn't pay too much attention to them. In the fall of '96, I went to visit a friend of mine in Florida and I bought Tool's "Aenima" for his birthday. We were haging out one day listening to Tool in his car while driving around town and I was instantly hooked. Previous to that I had only heard Stinkfist, but then I started to listen to all the other songs and I fell in love with that album. After that the rest is history..:P
Old 03-16-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MTV.
Old 03-17-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah...MTV
Old 03-17-03, 02:16 AM

After busting up with my ex and being really pissed off at him, I found his fave Cd by Erasure in a shop, new for $10 Aussie so I bought it to spite him, played it and found that I loved it. Now they are my favourites and I have searched high and low for everything they have recorded - and then some.

T.
Old 03-17-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Over at a friend's house in Junior High, he put in Reign in Blood while we were shooting pool and I just stopped in my tracks. I knew from that moment on that this was the beginning of a long, beautiful relationship with my still favorite band. S-L-A-Y-E-R!
Old 03-17-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite "band" would have to be Live. A good friend who was always looking for new music gave me Mental Jewelry for my birthday. I absolutely loved it but couldn't find out much about the band or if they had anything else to buy ("Live" wasn't easy to search for pre-WWW and before they were popular). A few years later 99x started playing 'Selling the Drama' ad nauseum, Throwing Copper appeared in stores, and the rest is history. I probably would have become a fan anyway due to their significant airplay, but I owe it to my friend for getting me in the door early.

das
Old 03-17-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My friend Matt Forr opened me up to a lot of music. Before meeting him I was listening to really crappy stuff from MTV (KoRn, Limp Bizkit, Cake, etc.). But one day he let me borrow, Moby-Play, Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream, The Prodigy-Music For The Jilted Generation, and let me listen to Wish You Were Here. Needless to say I gobbled up most of Moby's stuff within the next year, bought Wish You Were Here, Dark Side, and The Wall, bought up all of Smashing Pumpkins albums and bought the Complete Studio Recordings Box of Led Zeppelin purely upon his recommendation of the band.

Thanks Matt!
Old 03-17-03, 11:01 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
When I first saw the movie Better Off Dead back in '85 (the claymation sequence w/ Van Halen).
Old 03-17-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
saw the video for "Pour Some Sugar on Me"
Old 03-17-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard Pearl Jams Jeremy and didnt like it to much but once Black hit the air waves I was hooked and have been my favorite band ever since,but after hearing Like a Stone by AudioSlave I have another favorite band to add to the list 8)
Old 03-17-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Internet. Seriously.
Old 03-17-03, 05:06 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

My best friend.