TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC to air "sexiest" reality show, defends taste

Old 01-16-03, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ABC to air "sexiest" reality show, defends taste

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030115/leisure_abc_1.html

Wednesday January 15, 7:27 pm ET
By Peter Henderson

LOS ANGELES, Jan 15 (Reuters) - Third-ranked ABC Television hopes that a search for the sexiest people in America plus a show putting minor celebrities in peril will re-energize its turnaround as network executives on Wednesday showcased midseason and summer shows for critics.

By the time fall rolls around, ABC plans to have aired a dozen reality-based shows, including ones featuring a hunt for sexpots, a prime time beauty contest and plastic surgery make-overs, but executives promised to maintain standards at the network known for family entertainment.

"It is a very nice way to heat up a cold time period," Susan Lyne, president of ABC Entertainment Television, told critics as she outlined the network's midseason strategy.

Would-be hunks and babes open competition in "Are You Hot: The Search for America's Sexiest People", from the producers of "The Bachelor" on Thursday, Feb. 13.

"This is a contest where intelligence, achievement have absolutely no bearing, but it will be a very entertaining show," Lyne said with a laugh.

Real people will get tummy tucks and nose jobs free for showing audiences the transformation process in "Extreme Makeover", which will air for six episodes in the same time period beginning on April 3.

'GET ME OUT OF HERE'

ABC will also debut a special reality-based show in the crucial February "sweeps" period, which is key for setting advertising rates: "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here" will air 15 nights in a row, beginning on Wed., Feb. 19.

It pits a group of minor celebrities including video jockey "Downtown" Julie Brown and Olympian Bruce Jenner against nature in the Australian outback. The audience can eliminate contestants and the winners take home money for charity.

Ratings at the Walt Disney Co.-owned (NYSEIS - News) network have improved since the fall with the success of its comedy "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" and reality hit "The Bachelor", but it is still coming from behind, especially on Thursday nights.

That is where the company expects to gain momentum quickly, especially among younger viewers, with two reality shows.

Reality shows -- relatively cheap to produce and easy to promote -- are like crack cocaine for networks, Lyne said. But she and ABC Entertainment Chairman Lloyd Braun said they had avoided mean-spirited shows to maintain quality and would not overdose on the genre.

"You are not going to see a schedule littered with reality," Braun told reporters. "There are shows that we will not do, and you sort of know them when you see them. But I absolutely believe a show like 'Extreme Makeover' can coexist with "The Practice", he added referring to the hit legal drama.

REALITY AND DRAMA

ABC has a history of family shows, such as "Happy Days," "Roseanne" and "Home Improvement", and executives last year had hoped to ride that wave again as they righted the network, which had fallen to third place behinds CBS and NBC.

This season's "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" followed the family-oriented trend, and ABC will debut situation comedy "Regular Joe", starring Daniel Stern as a single parent, at a still-to-be-decided date.

More traditional dramas also are in store, such as an updated version of the classic crime drama "Dragnet," starring "Married With Children" star Ed O'Neill as police detective Joe Friday. It begins on Feb. 2.

"Veritas: The Quest", a father-and-son archeological thriller, and the supernatural thriller "Miracles" both premier on Jan. 27.

But ABC has had a taste of reality-show success with the new franchise "The Bachelor", which follows a young man choosing a mate from a bevy of female contenders, winnowing the field each week. The follow-up "Bachelorette" has proved to be a smash, too, and the next Bachelor edition begins March 26.

Critics pressed the ABC executives to defend the taste and volume of new reality shows, such as "Are You Hot" and "All American Girl," a beauty-pageant-style show which debuts Wednesday, March 19 at 9 p.m. ET.

"'All American Woman' doesn't have the same ring," Lyne joked. But she said the show would test all aspects of contestants' characters. "Whoever ends up winning it, I would put against any man in the country," she said.

So many choices, so little time, and only 6 tuners from my 3 Directivo's.

Chris
Old 01-16-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
1st one sounds interesting.
Old 01-16-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: ABC to air "sexiest" reality show, defends taste

• Quoth mrpayroll •<HR SIZE=1>'GET ME OUT OF HERE'

ABC will also debut a special reality-based show in the crucial February "sweeps" period, which is key for setting advertising rates: "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here" will air 15 nights in a row, beginning on Wed., Feb. 19.
<HR SIZE=1>

Great. This worked well for Millionaire too. You'd think ABC would realize that putting all their eggs in the fad basket is what sank them into 3rd place to begin with when they yanked SportsNight and shuffled Once & Again out of its own audience to make room for more game shows.

If you're not careful, 4th place isn't too far off.

das
Old 01-16-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But she and ABC Entertainment Chairman Lloyd Braun said they had avoided mean-spirited shows to maintain quality and would not overdose on the genre.
serenity now, insanity later.
Old 01-16-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reality crap, main reason why I dont miss my local with dish network in least.
Old 01-16-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

... and the dead horse gets another whack.
Old 01-16-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
we're in hell...
Old 01-17-03, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like FOX now has some competition for "stupidest reality TV series"
Old 01-17-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by UAIOE
Looks like FOX now has some competition for "stupidest reality TV series"
Yeah, but we haven't seen Fox's plans for the fall yet. Never, ever underestimate the ability of Fox to produce stupid shows.

I think their barrel still has lots of bottom...

That being said, I'd love to see them walk over the corpse of ABC and into 3rd...
Old 01-17-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd actually be interested in the "Are you hot?" because...well...I enjoy hot women. Other than that, I'll stick by my successful three year boycott of reality shows.
Old 01-17-03, 12:44 PM
Banned

I love how "Are you Hot?" just ripped off rateme.com

Wow ABC, that's original.
Old 01-17-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Or they simply license AmIHotorNot?
Old 01-18-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
Yeah, but we haven't seen Fox's plans for the fall yet. Never, ever underestimate the ability of Fox to produce stupid shows.

I have a strong feeling they will use my idea for a "Man vs. Beast" dance-a-thon.

Although breakdancing chimps would be more entertaining than most of the shows they have on.

Nah, my idea isnt stupid enough to qualify for FOX primetime.
Old 01-21-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, ABC is ripping off HOWARD STERN. He's been doing this for years on his radio show (with segments on E as well). One of his former producers is working on the ABC show, and freely admits Howard should be upset. He is. He's been ranting about it all morning on the radio........
Old 06-26-03, 09:12 AM
Suspended

Reality Kick in Effect

Im guessing that ABC has stared with the reality kick, because when i was watching All My Children they were doing a search for the sexiest man in america. I personally think that it's helped out the show...adding quite a bit a spice! They showed head shots...or heat shots is what I call em And its just made the show that much more interesting. I've also been hearing about Greenlee and Kendall going around to clubs to recruit. Sounds good to me...All My Children stars and all the hot men...i think ABC is headed in the righ direction.
Old 06-26-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shows like this one always fail and ABC will really be hurting.
Old 06-26-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, blast from the past...
Old 06-26-03, 08:12 PM
mwj

stupidest reality TV series

I think "stupidest reality TV series" became an oxymoron a long time ago.
Old 06-27-03, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Honestly now...How many of you guys actually watch All My Children? From the looks of things I assume many of you aren't fans. I like the idea they've come up with. It adds to the other drama on the show nicely. It was especially funny to see Bonnie Fuller, the editor of US Magazine on the show. Her acting skills could use help, but that just added to the scene.