Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Maurice Gibb: critically ill & subsequently dies in Miami

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Maurice Gibb: critically ill & subsequently dies in Miami

Old 01-10-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bee Gee Critically Ill In Miami

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12221528,00.html

BEE GEE IN HOSPITAL

Bee Gees singer Maurice Gibb is critically ill in a Miami hospital after a suspected heart attack.

A spokesman confirmed the 53-year-old had undergone surgery and is in intensive care.

Gibb reportedly collapsed at his Florida home and had to be operated on as soon as he arrived at hospital.

His family are said to be very worried about the former alcoholic, once married to Lulu.

Gibb is being comforted in hospital by his current wife, Yvonne, and their two children, Adam and Samantha.

He has also been visited by his brother Barry and superstar friend Michael Jackson.

A spokesman told the Evening Standard: "Maurice has undergone surgery for an intestinal blockage. He is in a critical condition in intensive care.

"We are awaiting a full medical prognosis later today but everyone is very, very worried."

Maurice, the bass guitarist and keyboard player of the Bee Gees, is known to fans as "the funny one" of the three brothers, and distinguished by his fondness for hats.

He has been working with Barry on a new Bee Gees album in Miami, where both brothers live.
I don't know about you guys, but a visit from Mikey J would enough to give me a second heart attack. I'm surprised they let him in...
Old 01-10-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Bee Gee Critically Ill In Miami

Originally posted by Rogue588
I don't know about you guys, but a visit from Mikey J would enough to give me a second heart attack. I'm surprised they let him in...
I wonder if he told him, "Don't worry Maurice, the doctor's will take good care of you, just like they do for me."
Old 01-10-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,030 Likes on 4,117 Posts
"Mr. Jackson then stunned visitors at the hospital by dangling the ailing singer out of the ICU's fourth story window for several minutes before bringing him safely inside."
Old 01-10-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

so he's in critical? Stayin alive, stayin alive...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...
Old 01-11-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thread title sounds like the name of a live album or something.
Old 01-12-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He's dead...check the wires..
Old 01-12-03, 01:45 AM

http://www.msnbc.com/news/857640.asp?0na=x2104371-
Old 01-12-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 01-12-03, 02:49 AM
Banned

Yup. Dead alright... Sigh................
Old 01-12-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 01-12-03, 01:47 PM
Retired

So much for "staying alive"

In all seriousness, it's very sad. He was only 52.
Old 01-12-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Despite all the naysayers..The BEE GEES are one of the all time great groups..Their body of work is up there with The Beatles,Stones,Dylan,Elton John,Elvis

They were amazing songwriters too!!

Rest in Peace Maurice
Old 01-12-03, 06:54 PM
Banned

yup. They influenced early Genesis, and many other bands. Their early work is just frickin beutiful.

frickin shame.

I even like their disco stuff.
Old 01-12-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't much of a fan of the Bee Gees over the years but I've liked their music whenever I've heard it. My wife is the big disco queen and we both watched the One Night Only DVD a few nights ago. Kinda erie seeing that he's gone now.
Old 01-12-03, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Very surprised by this...
Old 01-12-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 01-12-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have the followup news article?
Old 01-13-03, 05:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...076253,00.html
GBBS QUESTION TREATMENT

The brothers of Bee Gee Maurice Gibb have questioned whether doctors had been right to operate on him.

Maurice, 53, suffered a heart attack just prior to an operation to remove an intestinal blockage after he collapsed at his home in Florida last week.

He died in the Mount Sinai Medical Centre in Miami on Sunday.

In an emotional interview Barry and Robin Gibb said: "The fact that they had to operate on Maurice during the shock of cardiac arrest is questionable.

"We will pursue every factor, every element, every second of the timeline, of the final hours of Maurice's life. We will pursue that relentlessly. That will be our quest from now on."

Maurice's twin Robin and elder brother Barry said he was taken into hospital with the stomach complaint last Wednesday evening.

At 4am on Thursday he suffered a heart attack, after which surgeons decided they should act immediately and operate.

The brothers said they understood Maurice's intestines were twisted, possibly as the result of a birth defect.

He had to have 80% of his stomach removed in the operation. They also questioned why doctors had not been able to diagnose what was wrong with Maurice when he first arrived at hospital.

Robin said it had been difficult for him as he was in Britain when Maurice first became ill and he had to keep abreast of events by phone.

He said: "We are both devastated. We've actually been in shock for the last few days since Maurice was taken ill.

"I still can't come to terms with it now. It's like a nightmare that you wake up to every day. It's going to take a long time even just for it to sink in."

There was no-one available for comment at the hospital.
Old 01-14-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-16-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always found it strange that he and Robin were twins but don't look anything a like??
Old 01-23-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bee Gees name died with Maurice Gibb, one of the surviving band members said yesterday (Jan. 22). Robin Gibb said he and older brother Barry would no longer use the name under which they and their brother Maurice performed for more than 30 years.

"Anything we do, we will do together, but it'll be as brothers -- not under the name of the Bee Gees, that will be reserved in history as the three of us," Robin Gibb told Britain's GMTV television show. But, he said, the surviving siblings would continue to make music. "I think Maurice would want that."

As previously reported, Maurice Gibb died Jan. 12 at 53 after suffering a heart attack prior to undergoing emergency surgery for an intestinal blockage. Robin Gibb said the death of his twin brother was like "losing your soul mate."

The brothers formed the Bee Gees -- short for the Brothers Gibb -- in the 1960s and recorded a string of No. 1 hits, selling more than 110 million records along the way. They became a falsetto-voiced disco sensation during the 1970s with hits from the soundtrack to the film "Saturday Night Fever," including "Stayin' Alive" and "Night Fever."

This week, the Bee Gees re-enter The Billboard 200 with "Their Greatest Hits -- The Record" (UTV). The set jumps in at No. 55 on U.S. sales of 17,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Maybe Robin & Barry Gibb could go under the name R&B Brothers.

I'm sure we'll eventually see the final album they were working on, I'm just glad they have decided not to use the Bee Gees name on CDs without Maurice.