Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Finally got my PS2 Network Adaptor! (or "VG Talk Tech Support rules!")

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Finally got my PS2 Network Adaptor! (or "VG Talk Tech Support rules!")

Old 11-10-02, 11:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got my PS2 Network Adaptor! (or "I hate Comcast!")

Edited: Fix found, see below. Thanks a bunch!

So, after waiting on someone to send me a PS2 Network Adaptor for a loooooong time, I finally get it in the mail this weekend. Aces. I move my PS2 so that the cable from my computer can reach, install the network adaptor, plug in my Ethernet cable, put in the install disk, run the connection test... "Connection test failed." Huh. Try it again. Failed. And again... and failed.

Call up Comcast and ask them what's up.

Him: "At the time, we're not supporting the PS2 Network Adaptor."
Me: "But I've already got cable Internet service with my PC... I can't just unplug that and plug in my adaptor?"
Him: "No, sir... right now, we're not supporting it."
Me: *resisting the urge to flip out* "Okay... well, do you know when you might support the adaptor?"
Him: "No... we don't have a planned date on when we're going to support it. You can call my manager on Monday... he might know more on the subject."

WAAAAAAAAUUUGGHHH! It's not like I'm hurting for games to play, but still... this was anticlimactic as hell. And it's not like I live in the middle of frickin' Montana or something... I live in Montgomery County, MD, north of DC... overall, a pretty pricey place to live. And Comcast cheaps out on PS2 network support? Inconceivable, as the late Wallace Shawn might say.

Anyone else experienced this? What did you do, other than fight the urge to go kick some Comcast butt?
Old 11-10-02, 11:59 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I scanned over the IGN boards and several others are having Comcast problems with no solutions. I'm just speculating, but it could have something to do with this:

http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=3771

Customers want an Internet service that lets them do everything on the Web better and faster -- from playing games to banking and more -- and Comcast high-speed Internet service does just that," said Greg Butz, vice president of marketing and business development for Comcast Online. "Now, when customers see the 'Xbox Compatible' logo in stores, kiosks or on Comcast Web sites, they'll know that they'll get the most robust gaming experience on our network."
Old 11-10-02, 12:36 PM

I live in Baltimore County and Comcast is my cable/internet provider. I've had absolutely no problems with the XBox Live service or playing games online with my PS2.

If you don't have a router, try unplugging your cable modem for five minutes. Then plug in your ethernet cable to the PS2 and plug in your cable modem. I've read on various message boards that this has worked for some people.
Old 11-10-02, 01:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

I'll try unplugging the modem... thanks!
Old 11-10-02, 01:28 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks. I live in Howard County, so now I guess I know not to go with Comcast for broadband if the cost ever comes down.
Old 11-10-02, 02:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Actually, unplugging the modem for a little while worked like a charm! Thanks a bunch, mrglass!

Played a little multiplayer Frequency, and that was fun.
Old 11-10-02, 03:16 PM

Cool...glad to see that fix worked for you!