Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Spoon, anyone?

Old 11-05-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoon, anyone?

I don't have any of Spoon's albums, but I have heard a handful of tracks - my favorites being "Everything Hits at Once" and "Me and Bean."

Does anyone have any suggestions of good albums to start with? I was going to pick up Kill the Moonlight, but I didn't know if one of their earlier records would be a better introduction. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 11-06-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Get Series of Sneaks, by far their best work. One of my favorite albums of the 90s. The two songs you list come from Girls Can Tell, which is my least favorite Spoon record (picture melodic but bland Elvis Costello songs).
Old 11-06-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, thanks a lot, Yancey.
Old 11-06-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually I'd suggest just the opposite. "A Series of Sneaks" never really won me over. It's too rooted in that lo-fi, indie funkiness.

If you liked "Me and the Bean" (which is my favorite track by the band BTW) - then start with "Girls Can Tell." Every song on that album is a winner - pure pop frothiness. "Kill the Moonlight" takes a slightly different approach to pop - opting for spare, unadorned instrumentation, sometimes even just cruising along on human beat-box sounds. It takes a few listens to get into - but its been one of the few albums over the past year to hold my attention for any real stretch of time.

If only I could say the same for the crashing bore that was Beck's "Sea Change."

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 11-06-02, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Start with "Girls Can Tell" followed by "Kill the Moonlight" then go to the older stuff.

Awesome. Enough said.

jarsim