Reload this Page >

KB Toys NOW 20% off $50+ through Monday/14th

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-12-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this is deemed a duplicate thread, but the deal changed rather drastically and I figured people who saw the other thread wouldn't bother looking at it if I just responded there with this.

So like the subject says, KB has changed the previous deal to be 20% on sales over $50 (before tax) so this is a lot better for you folks who only want one game or have a bit of a tigher monetary situation going.

Again, you also get stamps on your toy club card for every $25 you have after the discount and before tax. This card, for those who don't know, takes four stamps (one you get free with your first stamp) and once it is filled it is good for 20% off an entire purchase excluding consoles, gift cards, internet purchases and the day after Thanksgiving.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-13-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might have to go back and get something else now

Already picked up NFS:HP2, Kingdom Hearts, and a Memory card...

Now I'm eyeing Burnout 2 and Timesplitters 2...
Old 10-13-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was tempted too, there's so much I want that's on sale or in video (we don't get discounts on top of sales and only 10% on video) but they picked the same week I was planning on buying renfaire clothes! ARGH! Unless I trip over $100 or so by tomorrow I guess I'll miss out. But yeah, remember tomorrow (Monday) is the last day of this sale.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-13-02, 08:25 PM
Banned

I picked up NBA 2K3 for PS2 and Halo for the X Box I'll get on Tuesday. about $86 total including tax and I have a 20% card for my next purchase. I'll wait until Splinter Cell comes out to get it and Shenmue II. I saw NFL 2K3 for PS2 and X Box and NCAA 2K3 on sale for $40 for those who are interested.
Old 10-13-02, 11:08 PM

I work at KB as well and at ours here in Johnstown, PA we've only had 2 people take advantage of this deal with video games. One guy got Socom and a lady got Madden 2003 and NCAA2K3 (I tried to tell her that they did work together and she would need either NFL2K3 or NCAA 2003 by EA but she said she didn't care.) Otherwise we have had a busy store but there are plenty of games to be had. We don't have the greatest selection but it's decent. I don't know whether to take advantage of this and help my store or to go for the "Buy 2, Get 1 Free Sale" at Toys R Us. Choices!
Old 10-14-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm...

B&M only?

I went to the website and I don't see the deal. I only see the one that says 20% off $100
Old 10-14-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess the $50 thing is B&M only unless they decided not to carry the 10% off $50 through Monday. I would check with a local one over the phone or something.

We had a lot of people taking advantage of this for games at our store, but we're also the biggest video seller in our district. Anyone and everyone who went near the live video wall found out about the deal and usually bought something. We sold 25 PS2 games Saturday alone, which is a lot more than usual.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-14-02, 02:36 PM

Could this deal be applied towards the Xbox deal everyone is going crazy over? They might be be able to save even more.

EDit: Okay I just realized that the deal starts tom. and this deal is only good for today. Sorry.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 10-14-02 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-14-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Plus you can't use the deal on videogame hardware at all.
Old 10-14-02, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
Plus you can't use the deal on videogame hardware at all.
Yup. I'm having my eyes checking on Monday.
Old 10-14-02, 03:39 PM

KB doesn't do preorders, do they?
Old 10-14-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

KB does preorders. Not sure about on systems, but defenitely on software as long as we have a SKU for it. $10 down for a game, $5 for DVDs and videos.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-14-02, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Scheherazade
I guess the $50 thing is B&M only unless they decided not to carry the 10% off $50 through Monday. I would check with a local one over the phone or something.

We had a lot of people taking advantage of this for games at our store, but we're also the biggest video seller in our district. Anyone and everyone who went near the live video wall found out about the deal and usually bought something. We sold 25 PS2 games Saturday alone, which is a lot more than usual.

~Scheherazade
Our store can only dream of selling 25 PS2 games in a week! Or even a month lately. I can imagine you smoked your LY with that day. Were not a live video store though. Were gonna become one in April apparently. Plus with Electronics Boutique right across from us we can't compete. I laughed at the district manager on the phone yesterday when he said he wanted us to put EB out of buisness! HA!
Old 10-16-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We were about 150% up on plan and LY... unfortunately we were still about $2000 short of our goal. But then another store in the area did 7K that day and still didn't reach their goal so they were pretty outrageous. We sold quite a few GC and Xbox as well, just the PS2 number was high enough to stick with me this long though.

Kinda hard to put EB out of business when they refuse to:

A) Be competitive. They're trying but we're still seeing games slipping through at $2-$5 over MSRP. We complain and complain and they've actually changed some (Kingdom Hearts), but as long as they keep coming out like that people will be avoiding us.

B) Carry a wide selection. KB stores seem to order stuff based on the ethnic majority that shops/lives in the area. This means a lot of great titles like Morrowind and Buffy the Vampire Slayer were never seen in my store. This alienates some of the customers who then decide KB never has what they want and go elsewhere.

People who gave up on KB should really give us another chance though. We're slowly but surely becomming competitive with only a very few titles slipping through over MSRP. Hell, we've BEAT EB's prices on several older titles as well as some newer ones (especially the football titles that went on sale to $39 long before Toys R Us did it).

With the advent of the "Live Video Wall" in select stores we're seeing more of a push toward video and actually carrying a decent selection. We're getting a lot more support from the companies themselves with products and demos and such that video game chains have been seeing all along. And we're almost ALWAYS running some sort of sale that's going to save you money.

If for nothing else, come to us first for the Toy Club. When you're buying video games anyway there's no easier way to save money on any game out there you want. Buy one game the first day at $50, that's 3 stamps. You only need one more stamp on that card and you've got yourself a 20% off coupon to be used on ANYTHING in the store even if it's on sale already (except consoles and gift cards).

If employees could take part in it, I'd be crazy to shop anywhere else... I am anyway kinda with my tiny little 10% discount, but 20% off anything in the store just from buying 2 games is crazy.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-16-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a KB Toy Card with 3 stamps I am not going to use. All I need is cost of stamp and I will send it to you. Please email me at my profile address.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-16-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scheherazade --

I agree with all of your points on why KB will never put EB out of business. Simply put, one does not go to a mall and look for videogames at KB.

I admit that it has gotten a LOT better lately. That new videogame wall makes a world of difference, rather than trying to spot that random title behind the counter. The sale prices on the football games (all but Madden) just a few weeks after they were released was great. The toyclub thing puts it over the top, since normal retail price of games is pretty much the same everywhere. But it's true that I can never tell if a KB will get a game in, or what price it will be. Even a couple bucks more can put off a customer. I know EB does it all the time, but again, it's known as a game place.

Personally, other than their liberal return policy, I don't know why anyone goes to EB for games in the first place. Then again, I don't know why anyone would go to KB to buy toys... most of which are overpriced and all over the aisles (at least the ones here). But this 20% off thing seems to be a great deal... after your first two games, you can buy as much as you want for 20% off...

Any idea when they'll stop this free stamp promotion? Where you get a free stamp with a new card? As a result, I have a bunch of half-filled cards, that I will fill up once the promotion is over. Why spend 50 bucks to get two stamps when you can get three?
Old 10-16-02, 11:31 PM

We also complain about prices at our KB. And we also didn't get titles like Buffy and Morrowind (titles I wanted to use my discount on). For the most part unless it's a Football title or a major one it sits on the shelf for months. I've even seen titles like Kingdom Hearts sit untouched. We sold one since release day. And we did sell Socom quick but we only got 1 copy. I am hoping that KB does something about their games. We have another games/movies store coming to the mall to compete with on top of what we already have. We do sell a fair amount of systems though which keeps my job. Hopefully we'll so better since were still below pay roll the last couple weeks. But christmas is coming!
Old 10-18-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The cards themselves say you get a bonus stamp on them, so until they reprint the cards and tell us to toss out the hundreds upon hundreds they've sent our store alone to give out, I don't think the bonus stamp will be going anywhere. I'd be more worried about us stopping stamping cards before that, but like I said they really seem behind this program and from what I've seen it's gonna be something that we'll always do (but don't quote me). But you should be able to combine cards if they do stop stamping. Your bonuses on secondary cards might not count, but at least your cards won't be a waste.

Our KB is one of the cleanest in the region, but I defenitly know what you mean about toys all over the place in most of them. You'd be surprised at the prices sometimes too... not only video has gotten better, but toys have too. I'm forever seeing people come in, drug by a friend, bitching about how expensive the store is. Seconds later they're looking at something and gasping at how cheap it is. KB is a lot better than it has been in the last 10 years or so.

Unfortunately the systems ya'll are selling aren't doing anything, Link . We make VERY little if anything off systems. We don't even make that much off video... ask any EB employee who's not evil and too above you to talk to you (yes, I've met one!) and they'll tell you the money in video games is in the strategy guides. Which KB doesn't carry (to speak of).

I worked at another store for my management training and they had a lot of titles we didn't have, including Morrowind. But the company didn't even have a SKU for Buffy so it didn't seem like they were gonna carry it at all. The product you carry really seems to be centered around the ethnic majority of the area. They sold out Kingdom Hearts twice over at the other store... we've sold like three so I guess there's something in profiling after all.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-18-02, 08:47 AM

Scheherazade or Link_182:

How soon does your store receive new videogame releases? A couple of games are out that I'm interested in, but I don't want to waste a trip if KB doesn't get new games until a couple of days after they are released (like Best Buy). Thanks
Old 10-18-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More often than not we get them the day they're supposed to be released. Sometimes we might get them a day later if there is some sort of problem with the shipment (we get them dropped my AIR or UPS or Fed Exp so they aren't part of our normal shipments). If you don't see them there within 3 days then that particular KB probably isn't getting them in. But yeah, we usually get them the same day as places like GameStop and EB, make sure to ask if you don't see them because some stores don't prioritize video and will let titles sit back there all day before getting them out.

If you ask the folks there a couple days in advance, they can usually tell you what titles they're likely to get and which they may not get and which they won't ever get (like Buffy )

~Scheherazade
Old 10-18-02, 10:06 AM
Banned

I'm surprised at your comments about people thinking KB is an expensive store. At least for board games, I've gotten some great deals on older games! For example I now there was a Simpsons Trivia game and Weakest Link game in the store for only $4.99 I believe. I've always viewed the store as a great placed to get clearanced merchandise. Wayyyyy back in the day, I used to buy tons of Atari 2600 cartridges there for 99 cents each!

FS
Old 10-18-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, KB is a pretty expensive store for new merchandise. The clearance prices either lower the prices to around normal retail, or are great deals, depending on the markdown.

What I find curious is that they "mark down" items that they just get in. For example, those remolded Exo-squad toys, which I'm pretty sure are KB exclusives, have a 10.99 pricetag, but were marked down from the beginning to 7.99. Which, I guess, would prompt more people to buy them thinking they're getting a better deal.

I've also got some great boardgame deals at KB. But go in there looking for anything new, and you'll be in trouble. It is a mall store after all, and that's pretty expensive.

BTW, are a lot of KBs still being intergrated with Sears? Or has that plan been scrapped?
Old 10-18-02, 10:54 AM

Actually I do like kb a lot. Got several decent deal with them. But then you really have to wait for the special offers to get these great deals. Early this year there was the 50% off most games. Is that coming back soon? I got several games then and regretted not getting other games. Also got some more during the 20% off. Of course, am waitng for more of the 50% off variety. For the most part, though, I find its similar with other stores. Great prices on some merchandise, not so nice with others. But video game sales are what gets me to the store.