Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Asian DVD Shops in NYC??

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-02, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, tried to search for similar thread, but couldnt find any. But I was wondering if there were any Asian DVD shops in New York City that I could shop at. I'm mostly looking for korean DVD's and some Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies. So if you know of any, please reply. Any help is appreciated. Thanx.
Old 09-30-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Any Asian DVD Shops in NYC??

Originally posted by JSKANG
Sorry, tried to search for similar thread, but couldnt find any. But I was wondering if there were any Asian DVD shops in New York City that I could shop at. I'm mostly looking for korean DVD's and some Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies. So if you know of any, please reply. Any help is appreciated. Thanx.
are you familiar with Chinatown in NYC at all? There are a couple of shops I frequent on Bowery Street (up Canal by Manhattan Bridge).
Old 10-03-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are at least 6 off the top of my heads in NYC.

As the previous posters said, there are many on Browery STreet.

At least 4 on 2 blocks alone.

There is one on Canal Street, between Mulberry (i think) and ... Lafayette?

There is also one on Mott Street, just off of Canal. They are all within a 5 minute walk from one another.
Old 10-04-02, 09:23 PM

How are the prices there? And they are legit ones? I live in the suburbs of NYC, takes about 25 min by bus so I might check these out instead of ordering them online.
Old 10-05-02, 12:13 AM

Went to NY this past Monday, and I stopped by some DVD shops in chinatown. I think the DVD prices were somehting like 2 for $20 or 3 for $30, but I can't remember for sure though. I was about to buy some, but weren't sure if they were bootlegs or legit. But I'm going back to NY this Monday, so if they are legit, I'll buy some Jackie Chan DVD's.

Also anybody know where I could find Korean DVDs? Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-05-02, 09:29 AM

Watch out

A couple of the chinatown stores I frequent started selling some boots. Sucks, they also had one of the best prices, it's the one closest to the bridge on Bowery. I went there last week and took pix of the stores, sort of put together a Big Apple/Asian Movies guide for another forum. I'll let you know when I actually finish it.

For Korean Movies, I suggest going to Korea Town around 34th, I'm actually heading there today, so I'll let you guys know what I find and the prices.

c.
Old 10-05-02, 12:36 PM

Check Bowery street. I personally prefer Lai Ying which is on Bowery, not because of DVD selection, but they seem to have the most organized HK music section. Alot of the media shops in chinatown just have their CD's disorganized and all over the place so you can't find anything. Also, Lai Ying plays some pretty bumpin' music. Last time I was there they were playing some amazing Sammi Cheng remix which I promptly proceeded to buy
Old 10-05-02, 10:56 PM

how can you tell if the stores in Chinatown are selling boots? Any signs I should look for on a DVD to tell if they're legit or boot?
Old 10-06-02, 12:07 AM

Us Marshals raided some Chinatown stores last year at the behest of Tai Seng attorneys who filed complaints of copyright infringement in Federal Court. The marshals seized mostly DVDs that Tai Seng claimed it had distribution rights to in the USA. As a result, stores like Lai Ying have some Tai Seng DVDs, with the Tai Seng logo stamped on the cellophane wrapper. Those DVDs are probably not bootlegs .
With movies like The Touch, coming out shortly on DVD, it may be difficult to identify the copy unless the manufacturer uses a hologram seal on the package.