Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about Electronics Boutique before i get mad

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-01-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a Refurb Playstation 1 (the old style for 35 bucks). I used some dvds with a 3 dollar + coupon and got a decent return on them, and used that trade credit for my ps1.

Before the end of the transaction the manager told me that I would only be able to return this unit for the exact same unit. I took that into consideration, and bought it anyway.

After about 48 hours I decided in favor of a PS2 instead of Ps1, so thinking I was screwed because of what the EB guy had told me, I was ready to give up.

But I looked upon the packaging of the game and essentially it says that

"If you are not 100 percent satisfied with this product etc etc, then you may return it for a full refund."

So I figured that the guy was wrong, or mistaken. I brought the machine back and he told me that what he said earlier was their policy and that the printing on the package meant that the refund could only be returned for CREDIT TOWARDS THE SAME EXACT PRODUCT.

I of course pointed out that the packaging said no such thing, that it stated clearly "a refund," with no strings attached. Well i got nowhere, because he was the manager and he told me before I bought it what the policy was.

I guess I can understand since he told me about it beforehand, but at the same time if EB's store policy is a refund, then I think I deserve a refund regardless of what their manager told me beforehand. Stores are governed by policy, not by the manager's whim. Discretion may be taken to intepret said policy, but it seems as though he blatantly disregarded it.

So any EB employees out there? is this the policy? Am I entitled to a refund or only an exact exchange?
Old 10-01-02, 10:55 PM

I used to work for EB, but that was 6 years ago.

I say try a different store. They can't give a refund in cash, but they should give you credit toward a PS2.

If there's no other EB near you, you could try talking to the regional manager.
Old 10-02-02, 09:33 AM

I would say the same thing, try another store. Sometimes different managers have different interpretations of a policy, hopefully the next one will be in your favor .
Old 10-02-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
I am not familiar with EB (we don't have one), but it sounds like every other major retailer. "Your satisfaction is 100% completely undeniably guaranteed by our wonderful customer service -- unless you are dissatisfied, and then we won't provide you any service."

I would tend to side with the manager on my low expectations from companies anymore. They like to make these great sounding blanket statements as publicity, but then put policies in place that cannot allow the statement to exist. In theory, you are right, they promised satisfaction. In reality, good luck!