Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mel Brook's The Producers...looking for opinions.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-10-02, 05:23 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(Note...this is an old thread I bumped up. -David)

This movie is coming to DVD on 12/3 and I've heard a lot of good things about it.

However, I heard a lot of good things about Young Frankenstein too, and was pretty disappointed. I thought YF had it's moments (Gene Wilder was occassionally good, Marty Feldman (I think that's his name...guy who played the hunchback) was hilarious, and the scene with the blind Gene Hackman was funny too) but it wasn't the side splitting laughfest I had been expecting.

Hence my question...Is the Producers similar in style to Young Frankenstein, or more like History of the World (which I liked better than YF)? Or just plain unique?

Thanks!

-David

Last edited by Blade; 02-03-03 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-10-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
"History of the World" represents the beginning of the Mel Brooks's plummett into mediocrity. Funny as hell at times, but nonetheless the beginning of the end.

"The Producers" is IMHO comic perfection. It's not an all-out farce like HOTW, but it's just dripping, oozing, spooging with utter hilarity. It's comic stylings are a bit dated (there's no way you won't be able to tell it takes place in the late 60s), but it's gold. Pure gold.

Not as gold as some nice bush, but we can't have everything...
Old 09-10-02, 06:01 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recently saw this on one of the cable channels and thought it was severly dated. Zero Mostel was way over the top but Gene Wilder played a good 'straight-man.' The humor felt very forced. I did like that song 'Springtime for Hitler' though.

I wonder if they toned down Zero's character for the play?
Old 09-10-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still think this is the funniest movie I have ever seen. I have it on tape and have watched it over and over again but the "Springtime for Hitler" musical scene never fails to crack me up. I find the rest hilarious as well.

On the other hand, if you didn't like Young Frankenstein, I have to wonder if you would like The Producers. Not sure.
Old 09-10-02, 08:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The Producers is different than a lot of Mel Brooks work in that it isn't a spoof of other movies or genres. That said, this is in my opinion the funniest movie ever made.

" Don't be stupid be a smartie, come and join the Nazi Party"
Old 09-10-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Is this the movie where they sneak a bunch of Jewish folk out right under the Nazi's noses by putting them in a play? I've only seen bits of it, but it looks good.
Old 09-10-02, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Is this the movie where they sneak a bunch of Jewish folk out right under the Nazi's noses by putting them in a play? I've only seen bits of it, but it looks good.
No that was the remake of To Be Or Not To Be
Old 09-10-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I love The Producers. It differs from Young Frankenstein which is more sight gags and comic reactions (although very funny).

The Producers is a movie around a great concept of a plot that is both well acted and funny.

I also think that Mostel and Wilder really clicked together - some of their exchanges are priceless ...

This is not a subtle film but an over-the-top comedy.

But, who cares what my opinion is ... find it on the tube and see for yourself ... then decide. I would say just rent it but many places won't have the rental as it just came out on VHS a year ago (after years of legal issues when it was not sold).
Old 09-10-02, 10:03 PM

I watch it at least a couple times a year , not always the whole thing but there are so many great scenes its hard to stop once I start. And its gets better with repeated viewings over the years. Ok, every joke doesn't work every time and there are a few ragged patches but still, i can watch this over and over like the early Marx Brothers.....

Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love video owes a lot to the chick band backing up Lorenzo St. Dubois on "Love Power." A few years ago I was amazed to discover that Roger de Bris ("be brrrutal, be brrrutal") went on to star as Mr. Belvedere! The Hitler auditions, "Go to Work", "BOIDS", and my favorite scene - the four guys in the very crowded elevator.

Last edited by JamesBrian; 09-11-02 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-11-02, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a stone-cold comedy classic. If you don't laugh until you're out of breath, seek professional help.

My blanket, my blue blanket!!!!! --Leo Bloom
Old 09-11-02, 03:05 PM
Uber Member

Well, I have always wanted to see this Springtime for Hitler thing.

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like this is different enough from Young Frankenstein, and popular enough for me to give it a try.

I'll post my opinion on the film after I've watched it.

Thanks again!

-David
Old 09-14-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I just watched this for the first time myself today, I enjoyed it although it doesn't quite measure up to "Blazing Saddles" or "Young Frankenstein" (Brooks' two best comedies IMHO). It is pretty dated to the late '60s and it's the kind of broad, gaudy over-the-top farce nobody makes anymore, which is kind of a shame -- in that whole "What's New Pusscat?" or "In Like Flint" kind of style that Austin Powers attempts to parody but can't really imitate.

I do think Zero Mostel was a little too much in many scenes (he seemed to be channeling Lou Costello too much) but Gene Wilder was just classic, as was the guy who ended up playing Hitler ("Flower Power" was freakin' hilarious). It's quite a fun little movie with more than its share of classic lines. I wonder if they'll ever put out a DVD of Broderick and Lane's take on the movie on Broadway -- in a lot of ways this would seem to actually work better as a play than a movie anyway (and obviously, it has).
Old 09-14-02, 07:48 PM

Definitely a plus was the awesome Lee Meredith.
Old 02-03-03, 03:34 AM
Uber Member

Finally got around to seeing this movie, and just wanted to say thank you to everyone who recommended I see it.

Very funny. In addition to the lovely Lee Meredith, the casting for Hitler and the opening scene of the play were absolutely hilarious.

I'm also glad they went with a documentary instead of a commentary. Normally, I prefer a commentary, but I've heard Mel Brooks' idea of a commentary on Young Frank. and this way is much better!

This is going on my "to buy" list.

Old 02-03-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This has a ton of extras on it, which is pretty unusual for an old movie released on MGM DVD.
Old 02-03-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dick Shawn was hillarious as Lorenzo St. DuBois (LSD) singing "Love Power"

Love power. I'm talking about love power.
The power of a sweet flower is gonna rule the earth.
And there'll be a great rebirth.

Love is a flower that is fine.
When I'm walkin' with my darlin' and we're holding hands,
and life is fine, 'cause she understands.
'A walking down the sunny street
givin' pretty flowers to the people that we meet.

And I give a flower to the big fat cop,
he takes his club and he beats me up.
I give a flower to the garbage man,
he stuffs my girl in the garbage can.
And I give it to the landlord, when the rent comes 'round.
He throws it in the toilet and he flush it down.
It goes into the sewer with the yuck running through her,
And it runs into the river that we drink.
Hey world, you stink!

Ah, man it's later than you think
Girl you got just one more chance.
Come on baby, while I dance.

Love, love power.
I'm talking 'bout love power
The power of a little flower.
You don't think 'bout no little flowers,
Oh no, all you think about is guns.
If everybody in the world today had a flower instead of a gun,
there would be no wars. There would be one big smell-in.
Just the flowers. Hey, man, a flower.
A flower. What you do to my flower, man?
You hurt it, like everything else.
Everything else. Flowers.

Classic.
Old 02-03-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
and it just became available as an enrollment at CH!!
Old 08-15-05, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I wonder if they'll ever put out a DVD of Broderick and Lane's take on the movie on Broadway -- in a lot of ways this would seem to actually work better as a play than a movie anyway (and obviously, it has).
I think I just read that they just finished shooting "The Producers: The Movie Musical" and it is supposed to be out by Christmas 2005. It stars Lane and Broderick and most of the original lead actors from the Broadway cast. The exceptions are Will Ferrell as "Franz Liebkind" and Uma Thurman as "Ulla".
Old 08-15-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I consider the original movie to be Mel Brooks' best film - I watch it several times a year, showing it to as many of my friends and family members as possible.

On a related note, I've fallen in love with the soundtrack to the Broadway show (Nathan Lane singing "Betrayed" is classic,) and am now anxiously awaiting "The Movie Musical." (Since I haven't had a chance to see the play.)