Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

what's the latest in recordable DVD players?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-29-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

what kind of price etc.. is the going rate for these suckers? And have they settled on a format yet? (ie discs recorded can play on other DVD players, etc....)
Old 07-29-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO I believe it is too soon.

The format is still up in the air and the prices will no doubt continue to drop.
Old 07-30-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panasonic players that use DVD-R for write once and DVD-RAM for reusable discs are down to under $600.00 now.
DVD-R will play in most newer players but DVD-RAM is only playable in a few special players. Samsung has a new unit in this format also.

Philips uses DVD+R for write once and DVD+RW for reusable discs and are around $900.00 in stores now. DVD+R and DVD+RW will play in most newer players. The Philips machines will also play, but not record, DVD-R and DVD-RWs. This format is supported by Microsoft, HP, and Sony.

Basically which ever once you choose you can be assured you can play your single use discs in most newer players. If you want to be able to use erasable/reusable discs in regular players, the Philips unit has the edge.

Don't fall for all the Beta vs VHS comparisons. Recordable DVD (except DVD-RAM) will play on most players made since 1999/2000. My Sony players can play DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD+RW no problem.

I use both a Panasonic unit and a Philips unit for business and both a good machines, but I prefer the Philips slightly since I can play the erasable discs in my home DVD player. It is also a bit more user friendly. However, the Panasonic is a good unit. Too bad Panasonic's DVD-RAM format is not compatible with regular players though.

Blanks for all formats run about $5.00 ea at this time in Las Vegas stores on sale.

Players and blanks will continue to drop.
Old 07-31-02, 12:54 PM

If you've got the cash, the Pioneer DVR-7000 is THE best consumer standalone DVD Recorder. It's marked price is something like 1799.99, but can be found for around 1200 online.

Don't forget about computer DVD drives. I just got a Pioneer DVR-104 for 349.99. Using my ReplayTV, I can transfer recorded shows onto my harddrive and then straight onto DVD.

Media is one of the most important factors to consider. For standalone recorders, I have discovered that Imations are inappropriate. They are formatted in such a way better suited for computer drives. I have heard good things about other brands, namely Verbatim, TDK, Sony, Pioneer, and Apple. I would stay away from cheap no-name brands. They can easily be very unreliable.

DV magazine recently published an article on recordable DVD, finding that "-" media was, in general, more compatible than "+" media.

If you want other people to be able to watch your DVDs in their player, you must seriously consider compatibility. However, if you are only archiving for your personal use, just get what you are most comfortable with.

Steve makes a very good point in his Beta comparison. Even if one format is abandoned in favor of another, new DVD players will undoubtedly continue to play the old format in addition to the new one. Don't worry too much about what format will "win."

If you are looking into this, all I can say is see some samples. Get some test recordings from the different machines and decide what looks best within your price range.
Old 07-31-02, 01:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Question about DVD recorders: is it possible to make menus, chapter stops, etc on your discs or is it just straight media?
Old 07-31-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by futbol
Don't forget about computer DVD drives. I just got a Pioneer DVR-104 for 349.99. Using my ReplayTV, I can transfer recorded shows onto my harddrive and then straight onto DVD.

It's in danger of going slightly off-topic here, but can you elaborate here? I have a DirecTivo and a laptop with a DVD-Rom drive. I'm off to tivocommunity.com to see if they have any info there, but a push in the right direction would be helpful.

thanks
Old 07-31-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, both the Panasonic and Philips units automatically add chapter stops, but you can also insert them manually if you wish. Both allow menu sets ups. The Philips is cool since you can capture an image from your recording (for example the movie title) and insert it in the menu.

As for the Pioneer unit; I think they need to lower their price and get their units into the stores on a larger scale if they are going to capture any of the market. My only concern with DVD-RW is that only discs recorded in the 2 hour video mode are compatible with regular players currently.

Personally, if I was a DVD player manufacturer, I'd design a player that could play anything (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM) even if can only record in one standard.
Philips is almost there since their units record in DVD+R and DVD+RW, but also play DVD-R and DVD-RW.

Last night Best Buy had 15 packs of both DVD-R and DVD+Rs for just $59.95; or $3.99 each. Interestingly, they had far more DVD+R and DVD+RW media than -R or RAM. Probably because Best Buy is pushing the Philips units so much harder at the moment.
Old 07-31-02, 08:39 PM

I have only seen the Pioneer in Tweeter stores, but being that the unit is from the Elite range, I don't think they're trying to capture the market. They just produce the best standalone DVD recorder available.

Groucho:
All of what you mention is possible, but in different degrees. Standalone recorders will add chapter stops automatically (you can usually set the interval) for DVD-Video discs (ones that will play in most standard DVD players). For discs that will most likely only play in the recorder, you can place your own stops. Menu creation is minimal. The Pioneer only creates a text based title list, and the Philips may include thumbnails, I'm not sure. I have no idea what the Panasonic does.

Computer drives have the ability to use whatever software you want, and many of those give you the added ability to create custom menus that are very professional looking.

djbrown:
Well, if you're asking about recording to DVD, I'm sure you know that you would need a DVD-R/RW in order to write the discs. A DVD-ROM will only read them.

If you asking about the transfer of files to the harddrive, I'm fairly certain the TiVo is incapable of this. My ReplayTV has an ethernet port and is hooked into my network. I just use a specific program to transfer the files. If the TiVo has an ethernet port, it may also be able to do this, but people who own one would be better able to answer this than I.
Old 08-01-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Pioneer units: both the consumer DVR-7000 and the professional PVR-9000 are simply outstanding recorders.
Sure they cost more than most of the competition, but you
do get what you pay for. For more info check out the official
Pioneer website: www.pioneerelectronics.com
Old 08-01-02, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you wanted to make a copy of an old laserdisc onto DVD would there be any drop off in quality? Can you copy a dolby suround track onto a DVD? What about a 5.1?
Old 08-01-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pants
If you wanted to make a copy of an old laserdisc onto DVD would there be any drop off in quality? Can you copy a dolby suround track onto a DVD? What about a 5.1?
Suround Track----YES
Dolby Digital and DTS---NO

I think you can still find the Panny RP-56 or even the RP-91K. I have both and love them.
Old 08-01-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who may be unaware, Panasonic has just released a complete new line of DVD players, and all but one of the new models have complete support for playing DVD-RAM discs.

Also, regarding the idea of players that will play any disc, the DVD Forum recently announced a new logo program called "DVD Multi", which is intended to accomplish this. They are strongly encouraging all DVD hardware manufacturers to design their players and recorders to be DVD Multi devices, which means they would support DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, and DVD-RW (as well as supporting the many CD formats) for playback, and DVD-R and at least one of DVD-RAM or DVD-RW for recording.

It is worth noting, however, that the DVD Multi standard does not now include either of the "+" formats, since those were developed without the support or permission of the Forum. Still, this would probably be the best of both worlds, since most DVD players will already play "+" discs, and making all players DVD Multi players would ensure that DVD-RAM would also play. Of course, this would sort of blur the battle lines in the format war...
Old 08-01-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's my hope that the DVD Multi spec will take hold next year and allow the marketplace to standardize on DVD-R for write-once discs and DVD-RAM for re-writeable discs. Technology-wise, I don't think DVD+R offers any improvements on DVD-R, and DVD-RAM is defiinitely better than either DVD+RW or DVD-RW.
Old 08-04-02, 04:10 PM

DVD-R & DVD-RAM

hi, i just wanted to know which one was the typical dvd. DVD-R or DvD-RAM? isn't the DVD-RAM like a minidisc but whith video format???
Old 08-05-02, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD-R (write once only) is the most backwards compatible with current DVD players. DVD-RAM may not play in a wide spectrum of current players. DVD-R is your safest bet.
Old 08-05-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only problem with DVD-RAM is that you can't play it in regular DVD players.

DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW can play in most DVD players made in the last couple of years, I think that makes them better "technology-wise".