Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What's the best Progressive Scan DVD player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-16-02, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a new 40" Wega and think a progressive scan vs my regulars would be a vast improvement. Can anyone provide the best progressive scan dvd, or comment on prog scan on a wega via component video inputs?
Old 06-17-02, 12:06 AM

The Camelot Technology Roundtable is reputed to be absolutely excellent. It comes with an internal digital line doubler, 24/96 up-conversion, and their "Dragon" 5.1 jitter reduction for 5.1 AC3, DTS and other digital formats. It also comes with their own powered S-Video cable tech. I do believe they chose DVDo's (now Silicon Image) progressive scan chip, which isn't quite as nice as Faroudja's DCDi. At $3500 (dropped from $4k), this unit is a relative bargain compared with some of the other units in its class. Part of its bargain price is it's Panasonic A110 chassis, which already comes with an excellent transport.

Tag McLaren's DVD-32R is another world beater, with a "digital only" design (not digital straight through though, as the DVD consortium does not allow that). It even has DVI output. At $6500 including the progressive scanning, it is a bit more expensive, but when you're asking for the best, you know it's going to cost. I got to say, as these things go, the DVD-32R has a world class looking chassis.

If you're a bit more of a sound man than a video man, the Ayre D-1x (with the VR2 progressive scan card, of course) may be the way to go. The SIL503/504 progressive scan chip I don't like as much as the Faroudja, but you can't fault them for using incredible 24-bit Burr-Brown PCM1704 DACs. It's about $8500 including the progressive scanning.

Faroudja's upcoming DVD player/scaler combo is supposed to be one to watch for. I'm not sure what the expected price is, but it should be incredible. Hopes are it'll be digital from start to finish since Faroudja isn't bound by the DVD consortium. If so, they will rule the high end market. It should come out at about $10k, though this may change.

I know I'm leaving out a bunch of favorites (from the likes of Proceed/Madrigal, EAD, Meridian, Theta, etc), but I'm sure someone else can cover those. Everyone has their own favorites. When you're spending upwards of the low 5 figures, the best for one person may not be the best for another. Look, listen, and decide for yourself. You'll be happiest that way.
Old 06-17-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you don't want to spend more on a DVD player than your TV then my suggestion would be either the Panasoinc RP-91 or the Toshiba SD5700. I have the SD5700 and it is a very good player. The Panasonic is also very good and has some very nice features.
Old 06-17-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sony 700 is a good and economical choice for that TV.
Old 07-07-02, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot
If you don't want to spend more on a DVD player than your TV then my suggestion would be either the Panasoinc RP-91 or the Toshiba SD5700. I have the SD5700 and it is a very good player. The Panasonic is also very good and has some very nice features.
Are these two players really comparable? The Panny appears to be twice as expensive as the Toshiba - I was able to find the Toshiba as low as $170 (sears.com) while the RP-91 doesn't seem to go under $400 anywhere unless it's a refurb.
Old 07-07-02, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by blakwngbrd
Are these two players really comparable? The Panny appears to be twice as expensive as the Toshiba - I was able to find the Toshiba as low as $170 (sears.com) while the RP-91 doesn't seem to go under $400 anywhere unless it's a refurb.
As far as picture quality and DVD-A audio quality they are the same as I have done A/B comparisons on both. The RP-91 does have some nice features over the Toshiba like scaling of non-anamorphic video and such. Also the RP-91 doesn't have the chroma bug like the Toshiba...however I have yet to notice the chroma bug on my SD5700.
Old 07-07-02, 04:52 PM

As far as picture quality and DVD-A audio quality they are the same as I have done A/B comparisons on both. The RP-91 does have some nice features over the Toshiba like scaling of non-anamorphic video and such. Also the RP-91 doesn't have the chroma bug like the Toshiba...however I have yet to notice the chroma bug on my SD5700.
I've looked around for reviews of this player but I haven't been able to find much other than consumer reviews - can you point me towards a professional review, by any chance? Thanks!
Old 07-07-02, 05:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
I don't think you will get the full benefit of the "best" player on a 40" screen. That being said, I just wanted to point out that a home theater computer is pretty far up there toward the best for a fraction of the cost.
Old 07-07-02, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by blakwngbrd

I've looked around for reviews of this player but I haven't been able to find much other than consumer reviews - can you point me towards a professional review, by any chance? Thanks!
So what...my review isn't good enough for you

I looked all over and could only find 1 half-assed review. Only ones I could find were like you said...consumer reviews... at www.cnet.com www.eopinions.com www.audioreview.com

I will keep looking around for you.
Old 07-07-02, 07:14 PM

So what...my review isn't good enough for you

I looked all over and could only find 1 half-assed review. Only ones I could find were like you said...consumer reviews... at www.cnet.com www.eopinions.com www.audioreview.com

I will keep looking around for you.
Hehehe I'm sorry, didn't mean it that way. I was hoping for an in-depth pro review that would tell me about all the nifty features and make me drool and want to buy it. But your review is greatly appreciated
Old 07-07-02, 07:21 PM

Not really a review per-se but a feature description.

http://db.widescreenreview.com/weekn...d=39801&-find=
Old 07-07-02, 07:48 PM

Thanks! Hey I used to subscribe to their print mag. Maybe it's time to renew