Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Ed Gein

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-02, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ed Gein

Is the films any good?
Old 06-17-02, 10:16 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a hardcore horror fan I saw the movie once and sold it. One might find the movie disturbing IMO it's boring. Rent it I would say.
Old 06-21-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

echo exm. it's hard to imagine a more boring treatment of this most interesting subject.
Old 06-21-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Ed Gein

Originally posted by Pennywise
Is the films any good?
Steven Railsback's performance is very good but it's very slow paced, low budgeted, and it looks it, film.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 06-23-02, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it wasn't that bad. If you keep in mind that it is a very low budget film I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 06-27-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I consider myself a fan of slow-moving films done right, but I just found this one boring and tedious.
Old 06-27-02, 07:38 PM

I Recommend It

Count me in the opposite camp. I saw this at the American Film Market a couple of years ago, and was completely creeped out by it. No one plays a psycho better than Steve Railsback (Duane Barry, anyone?), and ED GEIN is no exception. Yes, the film is very deliberately paced, and is apparently too slow for some. I should warn you that this is not necessarily a "horror" film; at least it doesn't adhere to the normal tenets of the genre. ED GEIN bears more in common with HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER, which disturbed me so much that I have no desire to ever watch it again (though I'll freely admit that it is an exemplary film). ED GEIN, fortunately, was not quite so disturbing, and I've managed to watch it a couple of times since on dvd.

For the few (if any) of you who like ED GEIN, I'd also recommend the film BUNDY which should wind up on video and dvd in the near future (like GEIN, I saw this one at the AFM, and also like GEIN, will likely go straight to the home video market). As you might guess, BUNDY is another serial killer movie based on another infamous murderer. BUNDY also follow the same gritty docu-drama style of GEIN and HENRY, but has a style of it's own in addition to the very different circumstances and time periods. As an adult who grew up on a steady diet of horror films, it's very rare to see a horror film which can affect me in any way. I suppose that the knowledge that these films are based on actual incidents cuts through the cynicism in a way that a purely fictional story cannot.
Old 07-08-02, 06:26 PM

couldnt stand it.

leave it to hollywood to deify sick killers