Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Service Menu??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Menu??

I have a Toshiba TN55X81. The convergence is off, i tried fixing it through the consumer menu, but I need more. Can I fix this through the service menu or do I have to get a professional to fix it? Toshiba told me that its likely that the "guns" are off alignment.

If I can fix this through the service menu, how do I access it?

Also, I once found a site that was devoted to Toshiba's and it had a list of tweaks, does anyone know what site I mean? I cant find it...
Old 06-07-02, 04:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...hiba_tips.html
Old 06-07-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Service Menu??

Originally posted by jonny#5
I have a Toshiba TN55X81. The convergence is off, i tried fixing it through the consumer menu, but I need more. Can I fix this through the service menu or do I have to get a professional to fix it? Toshiba told me that its likely that the "guns" are off alignment.

If I can fix this through the service menu, how do I access it?

Also, I once found a site that was devoted to Toshiba's and it had a list of tweaks, does anyone know what site I mean? I cant find it...
I would recommend that you not do anything within the service menu of your set.

I would recommend that you either talk to whoever sold you the set or someone listed on this site.
Old 06-07-02, 06:15 PM
Banned

Bottom line, the geometry is off. When watching CNN< the ticker on the bottom is curved slightly. Also when watching movies in widescreen, you can see a slight red curve on the top edge where the picture meets the black bars. I can get a tech guy to come give me an estimate for $110. Then it will be additional $$ to fix it. I hgave no clue how much that will cost. Ideas?
Old 06-10-02, 02:46 PM
Banned

Anyone there?
Old 06-11-02, 12:22 AM

I am not sure how possible it will be in your area, but check around with some other service people. Most reputable electronic servicers will waive the estimate fee if you have it repaired by them.
Old 06-11-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I have some instructions for getting into a Toshiba service menu here. The settings listed on that page are specific to my model and will vary on yours, but the basic controls are the same.

It is very important that you follow the instructions regarding WRITING DOWN EVERY SINGLE SETTING BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING. If you don't, and you change something by mistake without knowing how to change it back, you'll be screwed. You'd have to call a service person for repair, and the fact that you've gone into the service menu voids your warranty.

Basically, if you're at all unsure of what you're doing, don't do it.