Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

NETFLIX - Shipped and returned DVDs!?!?!?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 05-09-02, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only been a member for two months, but I recently had shipping problems within the last two weeks.

I live in the same town/zip code for the shipping return address - Duluth, GA 30096. With a distribution center in my back yard, they have acknowledged receiving DVDs that I returned as quickly as 1 day after mailing it back, and I have also received the next DVDs from my rental queue within 2 to 3 days.

Some DVDs does take 4 to 5 days to get to me. I'm figuring that those DVDs could have been shipped out from a different distribution center.

However within the last two weeks, I have had two DVDs shipped and then was returned according to their email notifications and my shipping status history, before I even received it.

I have made contact with the USPS Postal Inspectors office to check into this - someone could be intercepting my DVDs in the mail. Thank goodness this person is at least shipping them back for me.

Or is Netflix wetting my appetite with email notifications that they shipped DVDs but they really didn't. Could it be that my 3 DVDs at any given time membership and the close proximity of a distribution center might have me flagged to make sure that I cannot easily rent more than 12 DVDs a month?

OBTW - my mailbox is secure and it has a lock.
Old 05-09-02, 08:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It could be a glitch in their system. I've gotten emails from them before where a title was shipped and returned on the same day(!), and I still got the title in the mail. The glitch worked to my advantage because it allowed me to have 5 titles out at once temporarily.
Old 05-09-02, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't seen any of these problems before and I've been with them for about 2 years now. Maybe the package was pulled apart and the return address became the ship to address?

WRT flagging accounts and what not it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Most of the delays I experience though are in the "return" time, and then the "selection/shipping" of the next one.
Old 05-09-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It could possibly be due to careless postal employees, since you happen to be in the same zip code. They may just see that red envelope, and think "Oh, this must go to the Netflix PO box." and back it goes to the sender.
Old 05-09-02, 08:03 PM

Hmmm weird...I have been with them for about 2 years and haven't had any problems except for 2 disks lost in the mail. (For which I wasn't charged)
Old 05-10-02, 12:09 AM

I had that happen a couple of times two months ago, and then it stopped. (I'm in Northern Cali.)
Old 05-11-02, 09:31 AM

I've been with Netflix off and on since they started and have had my share of problems with them, but I have to admit that those problems have all but vanished since they opened their new distribution center in Houston (I'm in New Orleans). DVDs routinely take 2-3 days to reach me and just about the same time going back. It looks like Netflix is finally doing something right. At least, I have no complaints...for now.
Old 05-15-02, 01:46 PM

It happened again - 3 weeks in a row now! Showed that it shipped on 5/11 and returned today 5/15!

The 1st one was a month old release, and the 2nd and 3rd ones were new releases. The new releases were shipping before the release dates. It makes some sort of sense to ship before the release dates, because the projected arrival date is after the release date.

What I'm really POed about is that these shipped and returned DVDs tied up my shipping queue for 4 to 5 days, and then I have to re-queue the same DVDs again.
Old 05-15-02, 07:18 PM

I've been a netflix member for about six months, and since then I've had three dvds sent to me that shouldn't have been - the address and name were wrong. Luckily two of the times they were for people in my own neighborhood, so being a good neighbor I just drove it over - the third time I just sent it back to netflix. On each of these occasions I sent an e-mail explaining what happened, and on that third time I even gave them numbers of the dvd on the sleeve, unfortunately I've never gotten a real person to reply, just a form responses that totally missed the point. (Something like, "If you click on wrong dvd in your queue...")

So...

I think something like this might be what you're experiencing, and if that's so, then it'd be USPS's fault. The next logical question would be, what's one to do in this case?

I've never had one of my dvds mis-mailed, but it's always in the back of my head, what if... I mean, eventually, I'm next!
Old 05-17-02, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just had something similar (but not completely) happen to me for the first time. A couple of days ago I received a package from them but didn't get around to opening it. It should have been a movie called "My Life". Today I received an email that this movie was checked in So when I get open and finally open the package it turns out to be another movie completely, one that I've never heard of and therefore wasn't even in my queue

I guss I'll just drop it back into the mail and see what happens...
Old 05-28-02, 04:57 PM

IS there a contact # for netflix ?
Old 05-29-02, 05:56 AM

888 Netflix
Old 05-30-02, 02:25 PM

For the past month, Netflix has been blazingly fast in turning around DVDs. I mailed one on Tuesday, and they had received it and sent another withing 24 hours. Other recent returns have similarly been turned around in a day or two. Maybe it is the new distribution center, but whatever the reason, I am quite pleased.
Old 05-30-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
TWO DAYS from released to ship to mailbox.

Wow.

Where in California is San Jose? I'm in Vegas.