Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

words cannot express my disappointment with Siouxsie Sioux last night

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees last night at the Vic Theater here in Chicago. The word "lackluster" doesn't even begin to cover it. Siouxsie barked all the songs in a flat monotone, never reaching the caterwauling heights of her earlier material until an embarrassing attempt near the close of the show. Only the bassist (Steven Severin?) was in form last night, laying down the skittery bottom-heavy sound familiar to old school Siouxsie fans. Where - oh where - was the mysterious goth priestess from years ago? There was virtually no menace, no atmosphere and no danger in any of the songs played last night. (Actually any and all the coiled menace seemed present in the black-clad "GAF-fies" lined up around the block before the performance - the sight and sound of whom eclipsed the aggressively non-goth main stage performance that night.)

And the light show (something I wouldn't normally even mention, except in circumstances of extreme irritation or obvious incompetence)? If you were on either side of the upper balcony (which I was), forget about seeing Siouxsie at all. The blinding spotlights on either side of the drum-kit were aimed directly at the audience for most of the night. Everyone in the 4 rows around me had their hands or their hats over their faces and ended up trickling out of the balcony to join the crowd on the main floor.

It's kind of sad when the Japanese muppet-rock of the opening act - X-Girls - kicked all forms of ass over Siouxsie and her aging crew.

P.S. Ok - yes, you got me. That was a lot of words.
Old 04-22-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like a very disappointing experience. When I can't find the words, I will typically just vomit instead. Perhaps a little purge will get the bad out of the system? Works with me!
Old 04-22-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Grunter, what you need is a nice therapeutic listen to Hyena as loud as you can play it. Once that's over, then annoy your neighbors with The Scream and Juju.

There. That should make things all right with the universe again.

Revel in the past glory of the Banshees. Do not let their present suckitude cloud your obvious love of the band. This is exactly why I never bought "Rapture". I couldn't bear to hear a lackluster album from such a great band. It's also why I would never see them live.
Old 04-22-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

mllefoo: "When you're right, you're right. And you, you're always right." I just thought that maybe being in the same room as these ancient goth pioneers would work even a smidge of magic. Sadly, 'twas not to be. $65 down the crapper.

On the plus side, there was this scrumptious, handle-bar mustached bear-cub in the back row of the main floor with whom I locked eyes and shared a . . . "moment."

Methinks I'll be gettin' some next bar night.

Oh yes, indeedy, I will.

Old 04-22-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huh. I must have been at a different venue last night because I saw an awesome show. Hell, I bought another ticket for tonight on my lunch break. Granted, I wasn't being blinded in the balcony and from where I stood the use of the lights were great in my opinion. This show was excellent and I can't wait to see what's in store for tonight. More security guard assaults? I love the fact that they opened up with The Scream material. I'd write more but I've got to get ready for the show. Two Banshees shows and Nick Cave on Friday. Life is good! And then Peter Murphy, Mediaeval Baebes, and Shane MacGowan. It's a good time for shows.

Last edited by Scorpio; 04-22-02 at 06:05 PM.