Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever heard "Party Hard" by Andrew W.K?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-15-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this popular somewhere in the U.S.?

This song is so bad, that I can't even comprehend it. It is like Mullet rock for the new millenium.

I assume that this is popular somewhere since I have seen bits of the video on MTV2 quite a few times. If this song makes it big, it is truly a sign that the apocalypse is among us.

I guess the point of this thread is to see if anyone else likes this song, and to see if it was popular anywhere.

Also,when trying to find the name of the band who sings this, I was surprised that the Strokes album and the White Stripes albums were recommended if you liked this crap. I really like the Strokes and the little that I have heard of White Stripes
Old 01-16-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exactly, Europe was raving on THE STROKES and THE WHITE STRIPES and they did not disappoint me. I've seen em both live now and it was great.

But I scoured everywhere trying to DL some of this stupid f**ker's music and boy does it suck.

I mean it is not listenable. This is absolute trash trying to be 80's glam big hair rock. It sucks.

I'm glad I didn't go ahead and order it from Amazon/uk.
Old 01-16-02, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen his video once on MTV X. You are right, that song has got to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard. I'd rather listen to "Gone" by N'Sync than this garbage.

edited to say...

I just went to All Music Guide (THE definitive site for music) and they gave his album "I Get Wet" 4 1/2 stars (out of 5).

Have you read the track list for this album? It's like we're back in the 80's and hair metal. Just from the album title alone you can tell we've hit a time warp. To name a few song titles:

It's Time to Party
Party Hard
Girls Own Love
Ready to Die
Take It Off
Party Til You Puke
Fun Night
and the title track...."I Get Wet"

Is he a joke? A wannabe throwback to the days of sex, drugs and rock and roll?

Last edited by Metrodub; 01-16-02 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-16-02, 05:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Metrodub

Is he a joke? A wannabe throwback to the days of sex, drugs and rock and roll?
Yes, he is a joke and I happen to kinda like the song. He certainly cannot compare to the White Stripes however. Oh and one more thing: The Strokes are the most overrated band in ages. Have a nice day.
Old 01-16-02, 10:49 AM

Oh and one more thing: The Strokes are the most overrated band in ages. Have a nice day.
Geez, I totally agree with that.
Old 01-16-02, 11:08 AM

Actually he is not a joke. People assume that it is irony, but it isn't.

Everyone better get used to him, he's going to be far bigger than the Strokes or White Stripes.

And for the record, I am definitely not a fan.
Old 01-16-02, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Snake Plissken

Oh and one more thing: The Strokes are the most overrated band in ages. Have a nice day.
They may be overrated, but we may be thinking that they are the greatest ever after listening to the crap this assclown and his ilk will be spewing on the radio when he gets popular.

I can honestly say that this guy is way worse than Creed, Limp Bizkit, NSync, Backstreet Boys and any other group you and I bitch about currently.
Old 03-16-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by Metrodub
A wannabe throwback to the days of sex, drugs and rock and roll?
Nothing wrong with that. Rock music can be FUN, ya know. After all the talk of Radiohead and DMB (who IMO may be "artistic" but no fun), it's time to rock out and still have a smile on your face. BTW, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, and POison are all in the studio as we speak recoding albums out later this sunner/fall
Old 03-16-02, 05:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I cant wait and see him next week, for 10 dollars nonetheless, I assume it will be a fun campy night.
Old 03-16-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw the video and almost died, this song is one of the worst ever recorded.

Old 01-31-18, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: Anyone ever heard "Party Hard" by Andrew W.K?

Wow, a lot of snobs on this thread. Glad they're no longer around. Anyways - Andrew WK was always a guilty pleasure - that I Get Wet album is a classic party rock album. Well, his new album hits March 3rd and he has a brand new song and video that rocks hard, as well. Looks like he has a new band with exception to the bass player. I dig it!

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-01-18 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 836 Likes on 584 Posts

Was curious about this thread and noticed it had a 16 year thread bump. Yowza.

I agree that the song in the original post is horrid... and the new one isn't much better. The OP's point was the same, so I'm comfortable in my comment not being a threadcrap.

Originally Posted by Yancey
Everyone better get used to him, he's going to be far bigger than the Strokes or White Stripes.
I'm not sure how big The Strokes and White Stripes became, but I'm pretty sure this prediction was wildly inaccurate.
Old 02-01-18, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know why Andrew W.K has to be a guilty pleasure. I Get Wet is an excellent album. It's just pure fun and energy. People in this thread are way too cynical. I'm not feeling the new song that much though.
Old 02-01-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Party Hard was on the Madden 2003 soundtrack. That's the only reason I have heard of it. It's not as bad as some made it out to be.
Old 02-01-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I am not much familiar with his music, so my only real experience with this guy was as an "opening act" on the Black Sabbath tour a few years ago. It was just a DJ set. Wouldn't have been so bad except that the shit he chose was by-the-numbers hard rock radio fare. It might have been interesting if he had dug deep and chose some obscure stuff to play, but instead it was stuff like Thunderstruck, Runnin With The Devil, You're Got Another Thing Coming, Were Not Gonna Take It. In other words, the same stuff I probably heard on the way to the show in the car. Boring.
Old 02-01-18, 04:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Truer words were never spoken.
Old 02-01-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Holy thread bump!

You nailed that!

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Wow, a lot of snobs on this thread. Glad they're no longer around.

Man, I forgot about Andrew WK. I'll check out his new stuff.
Old 02-02-18, 12:57 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I’ve never heard of the artist or the song Party Hard. I just watched the video on YouTube and it rings zero bells for me. I’ve never heard that song on the radio or on mtv. Not back in 2002 or today. I fail to see how anyone with that sort of heavy metal sound could break through and be as big as The White Stripes or Strokes.
Old 02-02-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

This thread

I saw him in concert when I was in college back in '05, it was a fun (free) show with a lot of energy.

But yeah the guy definitely takes himself super seriously.

Old 02-02-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I’ve never heard of the artist or the song Party Hard. I just watched the video on YouTube and it rings zero bells for me. I’ve never heard that song on the radio or on mtv. Not back in 2002 or today. I fail to see how anyone with that sort of heavy metal sound could break through and be as big as The White Stripes or Strokes.

It's hedonistic rock, which Is great. That entire album is cool and, in a good way, overproduced. I mean the guy played all the instruments himself and then his live band was composed of 3 guitarists, bass, drums, etc.

That album also came out right after 9/11, so it was perfect music to listen to to try and forget the events that happened just a month or two prior. I don't agree that he would have been more popular than White Stripes or The Strokes. The Strokes are garbage, imo, though.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-02-18 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-03-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

White Stripes I think have cemented a decent legacy in rock. The Strokes and all those similar bands were horrible when they came out and I’m so glad that little revival died a quick death.
Old 02-04-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I liked his first album quite a bit, in a fun party-rocking kind of way. It's not deep, and it's not meant to be. His second album wasn't quite as fun, but was fine.

The live shows are great, assuming you can get the full band setup. He's played to a full backing track, the DJ thing mentioned above, and spoken word tours, so you'd need to know what you're getting into before buying tickets.
Old 02-12-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Party Hard was on the Madden 2003 soundtrack. That's the only reason I have heard of it. It's not as bad as some made it out to be.
Same here. In fact, I ripped it and a few of the other soundtrack tunes from Madden '03 to make a custom CD I would listen to when driving to Bengal games. IIRC, it included a Bon Jovi song ("Every Day") and one by Apollo 440 (uhhh, "Stop The Rock"??).
Old 02-12-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

This post is from 2002 now I understand

He seems like a cool guy in interviews.
Old 02-14-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
White Stripes I think have cemented a decent legacy in rock. The Strokes and all those similar bands were horrible when they came out and I’m so glad that little revival died a quick death.
Originally Posted by Mabuse
Actually he is not a joke. People assume that it is irony, but it isn't.

And for the record, I am definitely not a fan.
Truer words were never spoken.
Originally Posted by Coral
Was curious about this thread and noticed it had a 16 year thread bump. Yowza...

I'm not sure how big The Strokes and White Stripes became, but I'm pretty sure this prediction was wildly inaccurate.
Let's check via Spotify, which is a good way to measure current interest in artists.

The Strokes: 4.99m monthly listeners, 476th in the world. Top single: “Last Nite” at 139m plays
The White Stripes: 6.8m monthly listeners, 320th in the world. Top single: “Seven Nation Army” at 327m plays

And...

Andrew W.K.: 0.37m monthly listeners, unranked. Top single: “Party Hard” at 12.6m plays

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.