Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How reliable are your REBATES?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do tons of rebates... and I get almost all of them.

but I have to watch them like a hawk --- some of them never come in unless I call and bug folks after that 8-10 week period.

How about you? Do you do rebates religiously? Do you get them all?
Old 03-12-02, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do some rebates, but only for more than about $5.

My step-mother will take her time to fill out a form, copy the recipt and send off a request for a $1 rebate.

My father-in-law will buy products just because they have a rebate. He does not care if he has a need for the product. He also sends them in under multiple names/addresses so that he can get these rebates more than once.

I have gotten all the rebates that I have sent in, all without calling.
Old 03-13-02, 10:07 AM

I try not to do too many because it's sometimes a hassle and I have been burned a few times. I'm currently out $40 for a CenDyne CD-RW drive from last June. I only bought it because of the rebate, which brought the total price down to $99. Otherwise, I would have bought a better brand. I have called the number on the form several times, which goes to wheresmyrebate.com. They couldn't ever find my records but told me they had the CenDyne ones in a separate file because there was a problem with the company. It appeared to be going out of business. Well, I just saw a new CenDyne drive in last week's ad from Fry's Electronics with a rebate promotion. What gives? There were rebates from both Fry's and CompUSA when I got my drive from CompUSA (king of Rebateland, it seems).

Any suggestions as to what I do next? I feel like I was suckered and am still angry about the whole process, although I've had a few problem-free experiences since then from more reputable companies. I picked up some cheap and freebie CD-Rs from CompUSA over the weekend but am debating whether or not it's worth the trouble. Sorry, my little rant went on much longer than I intended. It's really the principle that bothers me.
Old 03-13-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always take advantage of these, and I've received all of them, except for one that I can think of.
The one I have not received is the $5 Coinstar rebate when you buy select Warner titles. I thought this would be a good excuse to buy Willy Wonka, but I have yet to receive the rebate.
Old 03-13-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cringe whenever wheresmyrebates.com is involved... All but one of my "problem" rebates is due to them.... I've done hundreds of rebates, and eventually have gotten them all, but wheresmyrebates.com is AWFUL.

(In two cases, I called the store I got the product from... Best Buy is the best in "fulfilling" the rebate when wheresmyrebate.com failed to do so.)
Old 03-13-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pretty much have received all my rebates. The trick is to keep track of them and to send them ASAP otherwise you will forget. I don't have any problems 96% of the time. It is a great idea to photocopy everything you are sending otherwise you run the risk of getting shafted.