Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still buy music?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How have your music buying habits changed since you found MP3?
I don't buy music/buy significantly fewer CDs.
19.12%
I buy noticeably less CDs
26.47%
I buy about the same number of CDs.
32.35%
I buy noticeably more CDs.
10.29%
I buy a lot more CDs.
10.29%
I never bought music/Twikoff!!
1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still buy music?

Old 03-10-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you still buy music?

With the abundance of filesharing programs, it is easier than ever to find the music you want for free. So my question is:
Since the day you first learned of MP3s and how easy it is to download them, have your music-buying habits changed? I'm only referring to buying CDs, not digital downloads.

Last edited by huzefa; 03-10-02 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-10-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I buy a lot more non-mainstream CDs but far fewer mainstream CDs.

Mostly because mainstream CDs usually have one or two good songs. Then there's the non-mainstream CDs, which I purchase in order to support the artist that actually puts out a good entire disc.
Old 03-10-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still buy the same amount of CDs. Artists I like, I will always buy. One hit wonders, I will just download or copy from a friend if he/she has it.
Old 03-10-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
IBTM!

Yes, I still buy hundreds of cds a year. I like having the actual product in my hands and usually want to hear the whole cd, not just a few songs.

Maybe when I get a faster hookup, it will go down some.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't bought a CD in 2 years. I stopped buying CDs after I got cable.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
IBTM!
What does that mean?
Old 03-10-02, 09:35 PM
Suspended

Of course. I use the file sharing programs to see whether I like the album or not, and if I do I go buy it. I dont like the way mp3 sounds on a home stereo.
Old 03-10-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't buy CDs at all now. Just like many others, I stopped buying them the day I got DSL 4 years ago. Not that I did much CD shopping before that anyway. It was the CDs price that drove me away and when MP3 came along, it was just too hard to resist.
Old 03-10-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis

What does that mean?
It means In Before the Move...to the music forum.

I hardly ever buy CDs anymore, but it's not because of filesharing; it's because I now spend that money on DVDs and Dreamcast games.
Old 03-10-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my husband buys a few here and there, but mostly because he can't find the songs he wants on the net...
I never buy them, i just download them/copy them from friends
Old 03-10-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw a stat that there were more CDR's than music cds sold last year..

I buy music occasionally....but I find that there isn't much new music worth buying.
Old 03-10-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just by observing the few replies in this thread, you tell why the RIAA is pissed off at the mp3 concept.
Old 03-10-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PunkYou
I saw a stat that there were more CDR's than music cds sold last year..
does that include the fact that you can buy 50 or 100 CD-Rs for less than 50 cents a piece?
Old 03-10-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DTSC
Just by observing the few replies in this thread, you tell why the RIAA is pissed off at the mp3 concept.
Yeah, but I wasn't really trying to find out whether people think they're right or wrong, just how they have changed.
Old 03-10-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoyalTea
does that include the fact that you can buy 50 or 100 CD-Rs for less than 50 cents a piece?
Umm..... you actually pay 50 cents a piece for CDR. Almost every week, I see an ad in Bestbuy or Circuit City, FREE AFTER REBATE.
Old 03-10-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy more cd's now than I did before mp3's became more popular. Only reason that the MPAA has to hate me is that 90% of all the new cd's that I buy are made by people outside of the US.

For the most part, american music is suck.
Old 03-10-02, 10:19 PM

Actually what mp3s have done for me is allow me to have my entire CD collection downloaded onto my PC/laptop and then to play my music w/out having to haul around my entire massive friggin' collection everytime I travel. Plus, it allows me to compile a CDR of MY OWN MUSIC (from my CDs that I actually buy NOT downloaded!) and play it in my car w/out having to constantly switch out CDs or have a CD changer!!! Although there are mp3 players out there...I've found that I don't prefer them that much.

Mp3s have done NOTHING to hamper my spending on CDs....like one of the previous poster had said...I actually like having the artists/bands' CDs in my hands. But once I do purchase the CDs I usually convert it into mp3s just so I can listen to my collection anywhere I go.

Hence, for me, mp3s and CDs are both important.
Old 03-10-02, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
most of the mp3's I download with napster and audiogalaxy are things I own on cassette. and the last album I downloaded (no doubt's rock steady) I bought about a week after downloading
most of my file sharing downloading (morpheus and it's clones) are for movie clips (not bootlegs of movies), stuff like tv episodes, those humor movies that show up (like the exploding whale in oregon)
so yes, I do still buy music
Old 03-10-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually buy more cds now that i can download some tracks in most cases. There are a few exceptions - like the new No Doubt disc. I despise everything they have ever done - but this new album is just really catchy - but i just can't bring myself to support them so i snagged a couple songs of winmx.

Otherwise i buy many more cds and that doesn't include the various promo cds i get for working in a music store. But being able to download stuff online lets me try out bands that i never would have taken the time to listen to otherwise - just tonight i discovered that Creed sucks really hard - i also discovered Jars of Clay actually aren't as bad as i had been told they were. I might even pick up a Jars of Clay cd sometime now (whereas i wouldn't have before).

Mostly i use the filesharing programs for looking for way out of print music or live shows/bootlegs etc. If i like an album enough though i will almost always buy it though because i really like having the artwork and liner notes and everything. Especially if they include song lyrics (like the new Saul Williams: Amethyst rock Star)
Old 03-10-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only buy Nine Inch Nails CDs anymore. and maybe a CD here or there.
Old 03-10-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From my middle teens to my early 20s, I would buy an average of 50 CDs (or cassettes until I bought a CD player). After I got married the truth is that I had less time to just sit and enjoy music. At that point my purchases dropped to about 30 a year. Today, I will buy about 15 CDs a year, mostly because I will download entire albums to listen to them before I buy them. Usually there will only be one or two songs I like so I won't bother buying them. Of course there are some bands for whom I will go out on release day for, like U2.
Old 03-10-02, 11:40 PM

I buy many more CDs now than before I discovered MP3s, but that really has nothing to do with MP3s. It has everything to do with graduating from college (where I discovered MP3s) and getting a job with decent pay. It's a hassle to find music I like in MP3 format, even when I do FTPing, so I always buy CDs.

pre-MP3 CD purchases = 1-2 a month
current CD purchases = 4-5 a month

Last edited by mike1978; 03-10-02 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-10-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a grand total of 0 mp3's, partly a product of having a dial-up connection (can we get cable or a dsl co closer please). Even when making a tape was the norm, if I liked the CD I ended up buying it.
Old 03-11-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy a few less CDs. But not significantly less than before I started downloading songs.
Old 03-11-02, 10:30 AM

I find that I buy a lot less cds now then I did when I was in college. I actually bought more when I was when I was in school and I was downloading stuff all the time as opposed to now, when i havent really downloaded anything. I figure i've bought about twenty in the last year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.