Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Since DTSC hasn't started it yet, This week's open letter to a band: Aerosmith

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-06-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Aerosmith,

What happened?

Ever since Pump it seems you guys have sucked. Ok, I'll give you a couple songs off of Get A Grip such as "Living on the Edge" and "Crying" but that's about it. You're last two albums frankly suck. You're songs are now being used in commercials and you sang a halftime show with Britney Spears and N'Sync for Christ's sake.

It's sad knowing that a band who recorded "Mama Kin", "Back In The Saddle", and "Last Child" could record something like "Just Push Play" and "Pink". Steven Tyler, it's time to hang up the sash and put the microphone stand away. Call it a career.

Regards,

reptile590
Old 02-06-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You stole next weeks open letter from DTSC.
Old 02-06-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He was gonna do Aerosmith? Or did I not see the one he had this week, Pearl Jam was last week I thought.
Old 02-06-02, 11:18 PM

I heard Aerosmith is going to change their names to AeroSupply for the next album ....
Old 02-06-02, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
1. I posted an open letter around 12 pm today. http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=181476

2. I would not write an open letter to Aerosmith. Aerosmith has reached such a high level of sucktitude (or is it suckaciousness) that I would not address them in private, let alone in public.
Old 02-07-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, but an open letter to Britney Spears is too obvious. She sucked on day one and she sucks today. Aerosmith used to be okay back in the 70's. Today they are just as boring as Britney. They deserved to be chided bigtime.
Old 02-07-02, 11:45 AM
Banned

Aerosmith has always sucked.
Old 02-07-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by monkey
Aerosmith has always sucked.
Agreed, but now they really suck.
Old 02-07-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear Steven Tyler:

When are you going to return Carly Simon's face to its rightful owner?

grunter.
Old 02-07-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went to an Aerosmith show in 1993. Threw a mustard packet and hit Steven Tyler in the face with it. Don't know why, guess I just wanted to see if I could. I felt pretty bad about it for the longest time, but then I realized that I didn't hit the "Sweet Emotion" Steven Tyler with a mustard packet, I hit the "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" Steven Tyler with a mustard packet.

I don't do that sort of thing anymore these days, anyway. Primarily because I don't spend my money to go see crap bands give crap concerts.
Old 02-07-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Virex
I went to an Aerosmith show in 1993. Threw a mustard packet and hit Steven Tyler in the face with it. Don't know why, guess I just wanted to see if I could. I felt pretty bad about it for the longest time, but then I realized that I didn't hit the "Sweet Emotion" Steven Tyler with a mustard packet, I hit the "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" Steven Tyler with a mustard packet.

I don't do that sort of thing anymore these days, anyway. Primarily because I don't spend my money to go see crap bands give crap concerts.
Thanks, now I'm wiping my the water I spit out all over my keyboard off.

Old 02-08-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get sick of people criticizing bands, especially bands that have been immensely popular for 30 years. You know, despite what everyone here says, Aerosmith must be doing something right. You don't keep having hit after hit, year after year, selling albums to generation after generation of people, and getting radio play 30 years after your big break by "sucking". Times change, bands change, it's as simple as that folks. If Aerosmith was still writing songs like "Walk This Way" and "Sweet Emotion" today, nobody would give a damn about them. But they've kept up with the times, they've written music that can be popular, and they've made use of MTV.

And that Just Push Play album that everyone likes to criticize? They wrote every friggin' song on it! They've sold an assload of copies! They sold out arena after arena last year on their tour! They had one of the biggest pop/rock songs of the year (Jaded)! They were running around stages for 2 non-stop hours even in their early 50's! I think their 2001 was quite a year for any band, let alone a band that got their start in the early 70's. There's no reason for them to hang it up as long as they enjoy what they're doing and people still enjoy their music.

Find something worth criticizing people. This "oh they're so materialistic and mainstream, they sold out" type of music criticism is a tired act.
Old 02-08-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mafia81RCV
I get sick of people criticizing bands, especially bands that have been immensely popular for 30 years. You know, despite what everyone here says, Aerosmith must be doing something right. You don't keep having hit after hit, year after year, selling albums to generation after generation of people, and getting radio play 30 years after your big break by "sucking". Times change, bands change, it's as simple as that folks. If Aerosmith was still writing songs like "Walk This Way" and "Sweet Emotion" today, nobody would give a damn about them. But they've kept up with the times, they've written music that can be popular, and they've made use of MTV.

And that Just Push Play album that everyone likes to criticize? They wrote every friggin' song on it! They've sold an assload of copies! They sold out arena after arena last year on their tour! They had one of the biggest pop/rock songs of the year (Jaded)! They were running around stages for 2 non-stop hours even in their early 50's! I think their 2001 was quite a year for any band, let alone a band that got their start in the early 70's. There's no reason for them to hang it up as long as they enjoy what they're doing and people still enjoy their music.

Find something worth criticizing people. This "oh they're so materialistic and mainstream, they sold out" type of music criticism is a tired act.
Not ragging on you, but I disagree with you.

As far as keeping up with the times, there is a big difference between embarrassing yourself and evolving musically.

When the Rolling Stones decided to put out a disco record, or to put out "Has Anybody Seen my Baby?" they were keeping up with the times yet embarrassing themselves.

When The Beatles decided to go from bubble gum pop to "I am the Walrus", they kept up with the times, and evolved.

Whey Aerosmith decided to do a duet with Britney Spears and NSync at the super bowl, they were trying to keep up with the times, but embarrassing themselves.

One final point. Just because you are popular, it doesn't mean you are still relevant and good.
Old 02-08-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Applejack

Not ragging on you, but I disagree with you.

As far as keeping up with the times, there is a big difference between embarrassing yourself and evolving musically.

When the Rolling Stones decided to put out a disco record, or to put out "Has Anybody Seen my Baby?" they were keeping up with the times yet embarrassing themselves.

When The Beatles decided to go from bubble gum pop to "I am the Walrus", they kept up with the times, and evolved.

Whey Aerosmith decided to do a duet with Britney Spears and NSync at the super bowl, they were trying to keep up with the times, but embarrassing themselves.

One final point. Just because you are popular, it doesn't mean you are still relevant and good.
Agreed
Old 02-08-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's important that people criticize bands. Just because you don't like my or anyone else's opinion about a certain band doesn't mean for their to not be any criticism.

All I offered up was my opinion and it it should be taken as such...an opinion. I do respect your comments on why Aerosmith is still a relevant band today, I just disagree with it.
Old 02-08-02, 11:24 PM
Banned

That's nothing compared to the album and tour U2 had.