Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamecube not capable of doing Max Payne?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-31-02, 09:37 AM
fab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the 3D Realms forums: http://forums.3drealms.com/cgi-bin/u...=003542#000003

We all wanted to do Max for the GameCube - badly. But it was evaluated by port teams and was decided it wouldn't really be possible. Max required 128 megs to run well on a PC and it barely fit on an XBox (64 megs) and PS2 (32 megs). The GameCube has 24 megs making things basically impossible, without majorly altering the game, or doing a really lousy job.

--------------------
George Broussard, 3D Realms

Interesting.. this will make XBOX/PS2 fanboy's happy I'm sure.

--
fab
Old 01-31-02, 09:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds to me like they just looked at one aspect of the console (memory) and made a hasty decision from there. I've played Max Payne on the PC and it's not that complex of a game. It's also not that great, so it's not like the Cube is missing out on an AAA title here.
Old 01-31-02, 09:43 AM

I find it ludicrous. Besides the fact that far greater programming feats have been and will be performed on the GameCube, they're forgetting about 16 MB of auxiliary RAM that the GC has.
Old 01-31-02, 10:04 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I think the issue is much larger than Max Payne and it's AAA title status. The question is: Will Take-Two/3d Realms make any games for the Cube, if they stay under the impression that the Cube has limited memory?

The only game I see 3d Realms may still be making for the Cube is Duke Nukem Forever. The last news story I can find on that is from 8/29/01 at Gamespot.

Company executives (Take-Two) reiterated that the game will be released on the Sony PlayStation 2 and the Microsoft Xbox, but it failed to mention the Nintendo GameCube version.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...809126,00.html

My only conclusion is that they design their game engines to be heavily dependent on 1 allotment of RAM (the typical PC approach). Redesigning the game engine for the GC's 24 + 16 MB approach may be too much work to justify the cost.
Old 01-31-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is complete crap guys. For so many reasons. Anyone that knows a lick about the hardware can tell you this.

Really dumbed down here: The Cube has 24mb of "main" memory and 16mb for audio. However half of the audio memory can be applied elsewhere. Thus 24+8 = 32mb! Therefore the cube could have the same amount of memory as the PS2 and 8mb left over for the audio, something the PS2 would have to work into it's 32mb.

There are so many other reasons as well. I'm not going to get into the advantages of the GC's memory structure, and it's CISC processor. The above is just the simple explaination of how this is wrong.

The sad truth is that Nintendo probally didn't give them a licence for the game because they knew it would suck on a console. And anyone that has played the PC version and the Xbox/PS2 version knows that you lose a lot going to the console.

If that's not the case then its a simple matter of them being complete idiots. Or maybe the guy was just lying for giggles. I don't know. And now, I don't care.
Old 01-31-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay
I think the issue is much larger than Max Payne and it's AAA title status. The question is: Will Take-Two/3d Realms make any games for the Cube, if they stay under the impression that the Cube has limited memory?
I don't see why it matters, 3D Realms' output has been pathetic for several years. Which is also the length of time I've been ignoring Broussard's blowhard posturing.
Old 01-31-02, 10:18 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Aghama

I don't see why it matters, 3D Realms' output has been pathetic for several years. Which is also the length of time I've been ignoring Broussard's blowhard posturing.
If you don't care about 3Drealm's DNF or any future Take-Two/3Drealm deals like Max Payne, then no it doesn't matter.
Old 01-31-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have Max Payne for the PC and there's nothing in that game that's more impressive than some of the Cube's current titles. Once Nintendo's and Rare's big titles start coming out those idiots will see just how powerful the Cube is.
Old 01-31-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Flay

If you don't care about 3Drealm's DNF or any future Take-Two/3Drealm deals like Max Payne, then no it doesn't matter.
Nope, can't say I care about a couple PC ports.
Old 01-31-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alright, care or not care whatever.

Point of the matter is the game could easily be put on the cube. No questions about it.
Old 01-31-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith

Point of the matter is the game could easily be put on the cube. No questions about it.
I didn't say that. I'm sure the cube is more than technically capable of running the game, but that doesn't mean it would have been an easy port job. I'm just venting about Georgie.
Old 01-31-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How long have they been working on DNF? By the time it comes out, I'm sure all the current consoles will have gone the way of the 2600.