DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

S-vhs?

Old 01-09-02, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-vhs?

Hi everyone, I'm using S-VHS for my VCR, TV and DirecTV/Tivo, do I have to use the RCA video and RF cable also? All I have is DirecTV/Tivo, no local broadcast. The manual shows it using all three but it's seems like I could use just the S-VHS cables and the audio cables, no? Thanks!

Kathy
Old 01-09-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First off it's S-Video cable not S-VHS. S-VHS is the type of VCR(Super VHS).

Second, yes you can just use your S-Video and audio cables to hook up your DirecTV receiver to your TV.
Old 01-09-02, 09:40 AM

palebluedot, thanks for the help and the education.

The reason I asked is because thats the way I have it setup now, but when I remove the RCA video cable, I don't have a picture anymore. But before I added the VCR to my system it worked fine with just the S-video cable. So I thought maybe it had something to do with the VCR. But now I'm really confused.

So I guess I should remove all the RCA video cables and the RF cable and start over hey? Thanks again!

Kathy
Old 01-09-02, 11:52 AM

So exactly how do you have it hooked up now?

Do you have the DirecTv connected to your VCR and then to your TV?
Old 01-09-02, 12:08 PM

palebluedot, yes I have the S-video from the DirecTV/Tivo going to the VCR and then from the VCR to the TV! I think I had something set wrong (maybe the channel 3) not sure, but it's working now without the RCA cables, but if I remove the RF cable then I don't have a picture anymore. So do I need the RF cable in place or do I still have it setup wrong? Sorry I sound so stupid, but I just don't get this electronic stuff! Thanks!

Kathy
Old 01-09-02, 12:23 PM

Well one question I have is if you have a Tivo then why would you want it connected to your VCR? Don't you record with your Tivo.

So anyway here is one(of many) way you can hook it up...

- RF coax in from dish to your satellite receiver.
- S-video and audio out from your satellite receiver into the s-video and audio inputs on your VCR.
- S-video and audio outputs from your VCR to your TV.

You will have to set your VCR to the correct input you are using for the s-video and audio. (Like on my VCR I have 3 seperate inputs...one for the RF coax, one that has s-video and a third on the front of the VCR. I have to change the input with the remote depending on what input I am using)

Next you would set your TV to the input that has the s-video in that your VCR is connected to.

With this setup you can just use 1 remote(your satellite remote) to control everything. Just leave the VCR and the TV set to the correct input and program your satellite remote to power on the TV, power on the VCR and the player functions of the VCR.
Old 01-09-02, 12:44 PM

Ok thats the way I have it setup, so it must just be a button on the remote or in the setup menu that I'm missing, I'll keep looking for that. But I want to be clear on one thing, are you saying I don't need the RF cable? And I don't mean the two that connect to the Tivo from the dish, I mean the one that goes from the Tivo to the VCR and then the TV. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it,

Kathy
Old 01-09-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by palebluedot
First off it's S-Video cable not S-VHS. S-VHS is the type of VCR(Super VHS).
It may be somewhat archaic, but S-VHS is a valid name for the cable.
Old 01-09-02, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Kathy Jo
Ok thats the way I have it setup, so it must just be a button on the remote or in the setup menu that I'm missing, I'll keep looking for that. But I want to be clear on one thing, are you saying I don't need the RF cable? And I don't mean the two that connect to the Tivo from the dish, I mean the one that goes from the Tivo to the VCR and then the TV. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it,

Kathy
Correct you don't need it going from the receiver to the VCR.
Old 01-09-02, 01:13 PM

Ok thanks a lot!

Kathy
Old 01-09-02, 08:21 PM

Another problem!

I think I should have bought a clock radio.

Ok, everything is working now, but when I turn off the VCR I don't have a picture anymore on my TV. I played with the tv/vcr button and the input for the TV but I can't get a picture when the vcr is off to save my life. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kathy
Old 01-09-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Another problem!

Well one question I have is if you have a Tivo then why would you want it connected to your VCR? Don't you record with your Tivo.
I think I should have bought a clock radio.

Ok, everything is working now, but when I turn off the VCR I don't have a picture anymore on my TV. I played with the tv/vcr button and the input for the TV but I can't get a picture when the vcr is off to save my life. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kathy
I concur with palebluedot above -- I'm not sure why you want your DirectTivo going through your vcr.

I think that you'll have to leave your vcr on when you watch tv given the way you set it up.
Old 01-09-02, 08:39 PM

Hi stevevt, the reason I need the VCR is to copy movies to the vcr from the Tivo. My Dad likes to keep a video library on tape. He has around two hundred movies and it's hard to teach an old dog knew tricks.

So is there another way to set this up so I don't have to leave the VCR on all the time? Thanks.

palebluedot, sorry I forgot to answer that question when you ask it!

Kathy
Old 01-09-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hi stevevt, the reason I need the VCR is to copy movies to the vcr from the Tivo. My Dad likes to keep a video library on tape. He has around two hundred movies and it's hard to teach an old dog knew tricks.
That makes sense.

So is there another way to set this up so I don't have to leave the VCR on all the time? Thanks.
Well, let's put it this way: you only have to have the vcr on when you're watching tv.

Serious answer: No, as far as I can tell.
Old 01-09-02, 09:16 PM

Ok thanks, I guess I'll just have to live with it then.

My family has the TV on all day and most of the night, I doubt this new VCR will last long if we have to leave it on all the time.

Oh well, thanks for your help.

Kathy
Old 01-10-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My family has the TV on all day and most of the night, I doubt this new VCR will last long if we have to leave it on all the time.
In both of my systems I have cable routed through a vcr, so I too always have to have a vcr turned on to watch tv. I even use both of the vcr's tuners to change channels.

I think that most vcrs should last a very long time under these conditions; I've had one for around 6 years and the other for around 3 (using them very infrequently to watch or record a tape).

I would recommend not keeping a tape in the player unless you're watching or recording on the tape; depending on the vcr, this may even further its lifetime.
Old 01-10-02, 10:21 PM

stevevt, ok thanks for the tip! Is it just the new VCR's that are like this? Because my old one I never had to leave it on all the time, the signal would pass thru it when it was off, or does it have something to do with the S-video? Just curious? Thanks.

Kathy
Old 01-10-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

stevevt, ok thanks for the tip! Is it just the new VCR's that are like this? Because my old one I never had to leave it on all the time, the signal would pass thru it when it was off, or does it have something to do with the S-video? Just curious? Thanks.
I think that it varies model to model, but I don't have any direct experience using one the way you have it hooked up.

Have you tried changing the VCR/TV setting on the vcr (and then switching it off)? Not much else I can think of trying.
Old 01-10-02, 10:54 PM

How many video/audio outputs do you have on your satellite receiver?

How many video/audio inputs do you have on your TV?

Another way to set it up would be to use the coax out from your satellite receiver and connect it directly to your TV in addition to the setup we have been talking about above. That way if you want to just watch the satellite on the TV without going through the VCR all you have to do is switch to the cable input on your TV with the remote. If you want to back up what is recorded on your TIVO to VCR, then you would turn on the VCR and the change the input on your TV to the video input. Simple.

Last edited by palebluedot; 01-10-02 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-11-02, 12:23 AM

stevevt, yes I tried the tv/vcr thing but it didn't do anything. I guess it's not a big problem doing it this way. Anyway, thanks for your help!

palebluedot, I have one s-vhs and two RCA video outputs on my satellite receiver and two s-video inputs and four RCA video inputs on my TV. I tried using the RF cable like you suggested but was I seeing some black shadow looking lines that would scroll down the picture in dark sceens, so I took it off. But like I said, I can live with it this way and I appreciate all the help.

If it's not to much trouble I do have one more question?

Would it work any better if I ran all the video cables thru my AV receiver from my satellite receiver and then to my VCR? Or is that to many cables? Thanks.

Kathy
Old 01-11-02, 09:54 AM

Okay so instead on using the RF cable to go directly from the satellite receiver to the TV, use the other video/audio output on the receiver. You just have to decide whether or not you want the s-video cable going to the VCR or if you want it for your direct connection to the TV. If you use the s-video going to the VCR that will have better quality when you are backing up you TIVO. The picture should be just fine using the RCA video output directly connected to the TV.

In answer to your other question. You can do that and it would allow you to leave your TV on one input setting. However in order to backup you TIVO to VCR your receiver needs a "tape monitor". This is basically a loop back or passthrough that you set up in the A/V receiver with the source. This would need an s-video output to work.

What brand and model A/V receiver do you have? I can best tell you how to hook it up by knowing this.
Old 01-11-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What brand and model A/V receiver do you have? I can best tell you how to hook it up by knowing this.
It's in her sig (which you might have turned off, of course) -- Onkyo TX-DS797.
Old 01-11-02, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by stevevt

It's in her sig (which you might have turned off, of course) -- Onkyo TX-DS797.
Wow I am an idiot...I didn't even read it. Thanks.
Old 01-11-02, 11:48 AM

Okay to setup your A/V receiver to have all your connections I would do it this way. Your receiver doesn't have a tape monitor so this setup should work for you.

Connect a s-video/audio cable from your VCR to the input for "Video 1" on your A/V receiver.

Connect a s-video/audio cable from your satellite receiver to input for "Video 2" on the A/V receiver.

Connect a s-video/audio cable from the output from "Video 2" on the A/V receiver to the input on the VCR.

Connect a s-video cable from the "Monitor Out" on the A/V receiver to the s-video input on the TV.

This should work but here's the deal. If you want to watch your satellite you will have to switch to "Video 2" on your A/V receiver. This is also what you would do to back up your TIVO to the VCR.

If you want to watch a tape in the VCR you have to switch the A/V receiver to "Video 1".

The other thing is all the audio is now through the receiver so your receiver must be on. If you want to be able to use the TV sound with your satellite then you need to use the second set of video/audio outputs on the satellite receiver connected directly to another input on the TV.

Last edited by palebluedot; 01-11-02 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-12-02, 12:58 AM

Ok thanks palebluedot, you were a lot of help and it's working fine, hope I wasn't to much trouble, don't know what i would have done without your help. Thanks for putting up with me and all my stupid questions, I really appreciate it!

stevevt, my thanks to you also, it sure is nice to have a place like this to come to and get help, you guys are great and I truly thank you both!

Kathy

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.