Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: Charlie's Angels

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-17-01, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?
Old 12-17-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I know people who enjoyed this movie, I found it completely unwatchable; no charm, no wit. I'd much rather just catch a rerun on the tube. YMMV.
Old 12-17-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my $.02:

this was a favorite tv series when i was a kid.
nothing about the movie that i had heard made me want to see it at the theater.When it came time for it to come out on dvd, since the first week price was pretty cheap, and i didn't have much else to get, i picked up a copy.Since i was out of state for work, i couldn't watch it for a couple weeks, and i was actually positively anticipating it.
when i finally got back home, the first scene gave me a great big smile.
as the movie progressed this smile quivered and faded and by the time it was over, i actively hated this p.o.s.

who cares about the extras and the vid quality (which is actually very good). the characters and the movie just suck all the positive ions out of the atmosphere when you spin this disc.
Old 12-17-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Mainstream crap with sexy ladies in it; no socially redeeming value whatsoever - it actually plays more like a parody than anything. It's not unwatchable, but definitely won't be on the AFI's Top 100 list anytime soon.
Old 12-17-01, 04:20 PM

Charlie's Angels is pretty much the silliest film ever made. And it's one of my favorite DVDs! I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone simply looking for action/adventure, but I really enjoy it as absurd, good-hearted comedy. Of course, all humor is subjective, so it'll either make you laugh or it won't. I'd strongly suggest renting this one first.
Old 12-18-01, 02:22 AM
exConn

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
...it actually plays more like a parody than anything...
I agree, it is very much a parody.

Cameron Diaz's character has some really goofy lines. Knowing this was a light hearted film, I enjoyed it.

-exConn

Last edited by exConn; 12-18-01 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-18-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This movie is simply awful! I compare it with Mystery Men and Freddy got Fingered. I almost had to turn it off it was so bad, and I never turn off movies.
Old 12-19-01, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus
This movie is simply awful! I compare it with Mystery Men
Mystery Men is one of my favorite comedies so that's high praise indeed!
Old 12-19-01, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
*looks around*

You do all realize this is based on a television show about three hot female detectives who fight crime, right?

I think this movie kicks ass, and does exactly what it set out to do. A tongue-in-cheek parody of the television show, some great humor ("The Robot, look at that!") some decent action sequences.

Sheesh what more do you want? Go watch Citizen Kane.
Old 12-19-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by draven-x
*looks around*

You do all realize this is based on a television show about three hot female detectives who fight crime, right?

I think this movie kicks ass, and does exactly what it set out to do. A tongue-in-cheek parody of the television show, some great humor ("The Robot, look at that!") some decent action sequences.

Sheesh what more do you want? Go watch Citizen Kane.
Ditto. The scene with Cameron Diaz at home is a classic!!!
Old 12-19-01, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by draven-x
You do all realize this is based on a television show about three hot female detectives who fight crime, right? (snip) Sheesh what more do you want? Go watch Citizen Kane.
Um . . . something that was funny, that captured some of the nostalgic, cheesy charm of the original.
Old 12-19-01, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jnuke

Mystery Men is one of my favorite comedies so that's high praise indeed!
Yeah If you liked Mystery Men then you would like Charlies Angels. I'm sorry I just can't see it....
Old 12-19-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, I loved this movie! It's got pretty good action...and it's funny. I can't remember all the DVD extras, but I think they were pretty good.

I would definitely recommend at least a rental....

Old 12-19-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally posted by audrey

Um . . . something that was funny, that captured some of the nostalgic, cheesy charm of the original.
Um, what? I think you might be viewing the series through rose-colored glasses. The series itself is almost laughably bad, and "Charlie's Angels" the movie had "cheesy charm" all over it.
Old 12-19-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm with Audrey.
a little wit with the parody would have helped.
the moment Tom Green showed up , with his desperate, unfunny cameo (why does this guy keep getting work?) i knew this thing was going to be grasping at air.
none of these 'girls' had half the charm of any of the original women.
as far as style, it comes across as a parody of a parody. a 14 generation xerox.
Old 12-20-01, 01:15 PM

Charlie's Angels was a cool flick in my opinion. I enjoyed it enough at the theater to purchase it on DVD. Not for the extras, which are quite good, but for the movie itself. Given the director's prior experience as a music video director, don't expect a lot of subtlety or character growth. But if you take it for what it is: a tongue-in-cheek remake of a lightweight TV series, it works well.

The fight scenes are excellent. There is a satisfying "physicality" in the impacts and blows that signify good direction and obviously, Yuen Cheung-Yan, as fight coreographer, deserves praise for Diaz' and Liu's illusory martial arts skills. Diaz' running kick into Crispin Glover's chest at the end of the alley fight scene, from the expression on her face to the timing of the thud when she makes impact, is just about PERFECT. Barrymore,unfortunately, is another story. Her fights and wire sequences were obviously hampered by some "weight problems" and lack of athleticism but hey, two out of three ain't bad.

Crispin Glover as the Thin Man is great. Check out his symmetric smoke trails as he enters the elevator right after the dinner party scene. Classic.

It really has no connection to the original TV series except Charlie but to me, that's a good thing.
Old 12-20-01, 04:34 PM

I've seen it 3 times now and it's kind of growing on me. It's stupid, but not in a Tomb Raider way. It's kind of like Austin Powers meets Mission Impossible (the Tom Cruise versions). The extras are pretty good, I'd definitely give it a rental. I got it PVD at BlockBuster a while back for $7.99 and I think it was worth it.
Old 12-22-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by audrey
While I know people who enjoyed this movie, I found it completely unwatchable; no charm, no wit. I'd much rather just catch a rerun on the tube. YMMV.
My feelings also. And I have purchased plenty of movies solely because of the "babe" factor (Tomb Raider, Bedazzled,) and enjoyed them. C.A. was just so vapid and dumb. All 3 (Cameron, Drew, and Lucy) of them while good looking annoyed the hell out of me. And the stunts were way too ridiculously executed. I mean I'm used to suspending disbelief to an extent, but really. When Drew was blown out of the glass building, that was too far for me to stretch.
Old 12-26-01, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very cheesy! Despite the 3 female actresses that are pretty hot, this is definitely a chick flick. So if chick flick movies is your thing, then you might like it.
Old 01-07-02, 03:02 PM

Piece of crap movie with life supporting features

This has to be one of the all time worse movies with the like of The Last Action Hero. This is bad acting at its best, with cheesy fight scenes and retarded comedy, the best thing about this whole movie is the new remix of the original song. The DVD tries to give the movie life support by offering some features, but yet again, the soundtrack to the movie was more exciting than the whole movie itself. I made the mistake of renting it and couldn't force myself to finish it. The only thing that amazed me with this movie was that with every camera angle of Drew Barrymore, she would look either sexy, or pregnant; one or the other. Just sad I tell you.
Old 01-08-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Except for the unfunny bits by Tom Green and Bill Murray (though Murray had moments), I loved this film.

I think the director did a marvellous job. As far as applications of that "MTV-style" go, this is positively inspired work. There are some slow-mo sequences that are as monumentally stylish as any I've seen. The look of the film is just gorgeous. But unlike other MTV directors, his action scenes aren't hard to follow at all. He keeps a pretty clear through line during the fights/chases so that you can keep track of everything. The editing isn't too fast yet he has no problem conveying that over-the-top, rapid-fire feeling typical to MTV-style movies. And the overall film is well-paced with few slow spots and a good mix of action and comedy.

Oh yeah, the music is also fabulous. You can tell they put a lot of thought into the song selection instead of just pulling out the latest tracks (though they do that too).

Can you tell I liked it? Basically, you get the best elements of MTV filmmaking minus its greatest weakness (**** editing).

Having said all that, if you:

1) Started rolling your eyes when I talked about all that visual style mumbo jumbo
2) Aren't a fan of extremely silly movies
3) Don't like the 3 starlets

Then stay away from this movie.
Old 01-10-02, 02:37 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Watched it on DVD at a friend's house...

Could barely stand it. I used to love the TV show, but the movie was ridiculous. Yes, the video looked clear and the sound was just fine, but the whole idea of 3 woman with no guns always defeating men/women sometimes with guns just got silly. I'm all for suspending belief for 2 hours, but this went beyond even me...
Old 01-12-02, 12:35 AM

I have seen this movie three times now. Each time it just gets better and better. But you have to watch it when you are in the mood for pure escapist fun. And crank up that surround.
Old 01-12-02, 10:34 PM

nuff said............
Old 01-21-02, 03:36 PM
Banned

This DVD ROCKS!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.