Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Monster Cable.. worth it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-02, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the z-series 3 meter S-video cable at good guys, open box for 50 bux, retails for 100,

My question is this, i hooked it up From my Philips DVD 950 to my Toshiba CF2772B 28in (yes it was made in 1992)

I've noticed smaller Pixels and a brighter tint/color.

I'm still using the video cables that came with the DVD player, Will spending 60-80 on a new pair of monster's make enough difference to make me say "hey, that made a lot of difference, it was worth it"

As far as seeing the pixels smaller with the S-cable, that was vary noticeable. Will the component's have the same effect?
Old 01-04-02, 03:55 PM

oops composite not component I'm still "N00B"
Old 01-04-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you have a "standard" s-video cable hooked up before? If so and you noticed a big difference with the Monster, then I suppose the answer for you is yes. Or, did you have standard composite hooked up and this was your first s-video cable?

Personally, I think they're a huge waste of cash but that's just me.

BTW, run a search on this topic, it comes every few weeks it seems... There's been plenty of discussion on Monsters.
Old 01-04-02, 04:38 PM

I had a standard one yes, however there is still something I'm still confused about.

After you plug in the S-video do you no longer use the video cable from the composite?

Just the audio's and S?
Or do you leave them all in?
Old 01-04-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You just use the audio and the s-video outputs, no need for the composite output any more
Old 01-04-02, 04:47 PM

Great thanks

so i would only be replacing the Audio's with Monster Audios, anyone have an opinion on it? yes? no?
Old 01-05-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

in my opinion, yes, the quality of your cables does matter. But (and this is a big caveat) it's mainly an issue on mid price to more expensive equipment.

Personally, I use MIT speaker cables and interconnects, and feel that they've made a huge difference in the sound.

Others (a lot of them) fall into the "wire is wire" camp.

The thing that really matters is what sounds best to you. If your ears can't tell a difference between a $10 set of speaker cables and a $200 set, why spend the extra cash?
Old 01-05-02, 06:43 PM
0ne

Monster, not necessarily, but they are a good brand. Cables do matter IMO. What you want to look for is shielded, gold plated, 75 Ohm cables for video, and for your audio RCA's if they are time correct cables they sound better( Seperate copper strand for your mid-low-highs, with the high and mid frequencies wrapped around the lows in a manner that all three arrive at the same time.) For fiber optical cables a polished surface gives the light a better reflective surface.
Old 01-05-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 0ne
Monster, not necessarily, but they are a good brand. Cables do matter IMO. What you want to look for is shielded, gold plated, 75 Ohm cables for video, and for your audio RCA's if they are time correct cables they sound better( Seperate copper strand for your mid-low-highs, with the high and mid frequencies wrapped around the lows in a manner that all three arrive at the same time.) For fiber optical cables a polished surface gives the light a better reflective surface.
For a small run under 20 feet at least "time correct" cables will make no difference at all and they cost more!

As far as Monster goes, I do have a Monster S-Video and I hate it. Not for picture quality, but for it's weight. The ends are so heavy they put too much pressure on the connection and break loose after a while! If I were looking into mid/low range cable I would definately get BetterCables. www.bettercable.com

I switched from Nordost Flatline($10FT) to some Recoton 12AWG($3 for 40FT) and noticed no difference in sound quality. At the time I didn't have the best equipment, Acurus Act-3 and Acurus amps with Paradigm Monitor series speakers, but it was good enough that I could have realized a difference if there was one.

Some argue that cables make a difference, but unless you are running some really nice high end seperates you aren't going to notice a difference. Your money would be better served buying some better equipment. If you have a receiver and some mid range speakers just get a nice 75OHM cable for interconnects and 12AWG cable for wire.
Old 01-05-02, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Monster cables connecting most of my components (I don't use them for things like the VCR), and I think they're great. Compared the stock cables that came with my DVD player, the picture quality is crisp, and the sound just comes out great.

Just my $0.02, though, because I know a lot of people here hate Monster.
Old 01-07-02, 01:51 PM

I have Monster cables too and I think they're great. When I put together my home theatre I didn't buy any Monster cables, i used stock, I waited a bit, saved a little, then replaced everything with Monster. All I have to say is that the improvements are huge. I didn't care too much for price, for convenience Monster cables are sold everywhere at CC, BB, GG. The Thicker the cable the better. I got low-end to mid-level versions.

Monster Video2 Component Cables (video3 is higher)
Monster Lightspeed3 Optical Fiber cable (they had lightspeed2)
Monster Subwoofer cable (forgot the model, but it was the lower end)
and Monster mid-level speaker cables.

I think I spent about $200 total. Overpriced? Maybe, but who cares I can hear and see the difference.
Old 01-07-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Nismo Nate
Great thanks

so i would only be replacing the Audio's with Monster Audios, anyone have an opinion on it? yes? no?
My response would be based on what kind of equipment you have. I like Monster products because of the build quality and I do believe they make a difference.