Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

MGS2-Sons of Liberty is a really boring movie...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-31-01, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

What's with this game? I bought it for my friend for xmas because he loved the previous one for PS1... I've been watching him play and I notice that more than half the time he's not even doing anything with the controller. It's all just movies and radio conversations. Totally boring. He's one of the biggest fans of MGS - he's been into it since Nintendo (guess there was a Metal Gear for Nintendo) he says - and even he thinks it kinda lame. The story is pathetic and sloppy and just so convoluted that beyond the fact that it makes no sense, it unravels itself as if its audience is a 5 year old. I also don't think the whole "walk up to the node and press your action button" is very immersive. The player can read the manual for things like "action button" or whatnot. That was something they did in the previous game too - so I guess if nothing else they are keeping it familiar. The puzzles seem pretty easy too. I think that when he actually gets to play the game, it's cool how you have to sneak around and shoot or hide or whatever. If there was more of that and less of the lame movies it would be a better game.

Spoiler:
and what is with this Raiden guy? What a leo-tard. We've been playing as him for over 2 hours and have had no more than 5 minutes of actualy game play. Aside from that, he looks like a fairy or an elf from LOTR or some sort of eunich.

Anyway, I'm not impressed and neither is my friend the die-hard Metal Gear fan... We're still going to play (watch) in hopes it will get better. I just don't see what all the fuss is about though. Same goes for the whole Final Fantasy series... The higher the number goes, the less gameplay you get and the more movies you have to sit through. To each his own. I'm sure there will be some backlash, so before you go getting all snippy on me personally - just remember that this was just me stating my opinion about a VIDEO GAME. If you want to share your opposing viewpoint or tell me that the game does indeed get better or perhaps even agree with me, I'd appreciate keeping it to that because I'm not trying to personally insult anyone.
Old 12-31-01, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I understand what you are saying. To use the RPG example its like comparing Dragon Warrior VII to Final Fantasy X. Dragon Warrior is a great game in the sense that it's an old school game. No movies or fancy graphics, it goes on its gameplay alone. However, Final Fantasy X is a great game because of its total package. I think the visuals, story, movies, and gameplay are incredible, but it really needs all those elements to make it a great game.

Personally I think there is room for both. I enjoy getting into a movie type game like Final Fantasy X or Metal Gear Solid 2 from time to time, but I wouldn't want every game to be like them. Grand Theft Auto 3 has a bit of a being in a movie feel, but it uses very few cut scenes and little dialog to make it that way. It really focuses more on gameplay and I think that is the best way to go.
Old 12-31-01, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by darkside
I understand what you are saying. To use the RPG example its like comparing Dragon Warrior VII to Final Fantasy X. Dragon Warrior is a great game in the sense that it's an old school game. No movies or fancy graphics, it goes on its gameplay alone. However, Final Fantasy X is a great game because of its total package. I think the visuals, story, movies, and gameplay are incredible, but it really needs all those elements to make it a great game.

Personally I think there is room for both. I enjoy getting into a movie type game like Final Fantasy X or Metal Gear Solid 2 from time to time, but I wouldn't want every game to be like them. Grand Theft Auto 3 has a bit of a being in a movie feel, but it uses very few cut scenes and little dialog to make it that way. It really focuses more on gameplay and I think that is the best way to go.
Yeah - that's why I mostly play FPS type games - because it feels like you're IN the movie. An interactive action movie. Fun times. Sometimes games with Movies in them are a treat because the movies help push the story along and are great fun to watch because of the stunning beauty or whatever... but sometimes the game developers and programmers think they are Spielberg or something and they want to make more movie than necessary. Way too much movie and explaination and radio communications going on in MGS2 - too much slow down and not enough game. I mean, MGS2 could be a fantastic game if it were completely without movies or radio communications at all... just pure gameplay... the movie would be at the end of the game when you beat it - that's how it should be. That's how it used to be in the old days.
Old 12-31-01, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I enjoyed MGS2... been waiting for this title for over 2 years.

-k
###
Old 12-31-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long does it take to complete? I was going to buy it, but I'm thinking it might be more of a rental.
Old 12-31-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too was highly disappointed in MGS2, so much so, that I sold my copy to Keyser.
Old 12-31-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've been hooked on FFX since i got it, and while the cutscenes can be a bit tedious at times, i'm thorougly enjoying it. it's a great game -- and there's no questioning that for me.

as for MGS2, i was a little disappointed with the lack of gameplay. visuals and movies aside, it's a stunning game. but, there is a lot of dialogue and sometimes, i want to sneak around and such.
Old 12-31-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I,too, am a little disappointed in mgs2.
Old 12-31-01, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Yancey
How long does it take to complete? I was going to buy it, but I'm thinking it might be more of a rental.
Depending on your ability it should be around 10 - 20 hrs...
Old 12-31-01, 11:36 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I found that Grand Theft Auto III took all the wind out of my MGS2 sails. I still haven't gotten used to the controls. I stagger around like I'm drunk a quarter of the time, and the other 3/4ths is taken up by those radio convos, cinematic cuts and the game stopping down to show me threats. MGS2 is the REASON I bought a PS2 in the first place -- just in anticipation of its release. What a let down.
Old 12-31-01, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Adboy151

Depending on your ability it should be around 10 - 20 hrs...
btw, I'm 35 hours into ffx and half way down.
Old 12-31-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I am with you guys on this one. It amazes me it made so many game of the year lists. I finished Payne on the XBOX and stated MGS2 and it is just not that much fun to me. Oh well I paid 36 bucks for it I could probably make that back on EBAY.
Old 12-31-01, 04:37 PM
Banned

I think the movies were definetly overboar I do think it still earned tho awards, but would have gotten more if about have of that movie stuff was turned into gaming. I am sad to say that forthe entire month of decomber I have probly only played the game about 2 hours. Just worked on getting dog tags. I got a code breaker recently, so it is gting alot better. Butthe dam thing freezes. Still nice though. thre chears for konami.

hip hip -----
hip hip -----
hip hip -----
Old 01-28-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but we finished this game the other night and I have to comment again. God what a lame game. Can I even call it a game? The ending is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It was like a really bad Anime the way it tried to get all deep and philosophical. It took us this long because we essentially had given up on it because it was more of a movie than a game and then one night we were so bored we decided to just finish it. Pleh. I guess I should ask if there's anyone that really liked it or got something out of it... and perhaps explain why. Cuz I just don't understand. My roommates, both Metal Gear fans from way back, both thought it was lame. Not trying to pick a fight, but I just don't understand this game's popularity.
Old 01-28-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but we finished this game the other night and I have to comment again. God what a lame game. Can I even call it a game? The ending is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It was like a really bad Anime the way it tried to get all deep and philosophical. It took us this long because we essentially had given up on it because it was more of a movie than a game and then one night we were so bored we decided to just finish it. Pleh. I guess I should ask if there's anyone that really liked it or got something out of it... and perhaps explain why. Cuz I just don't understand. My roommates, both Metal Gear fans from way back, both thought it was lame. Not trying to pick a fight, but I just don't understand this game's popularity.
I'm on the same page as you. I at least got a sort of MST3K kick out of it...bomb disposal *snicker*.
Old 01-28-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought this game was awesome, but I don't really feel I need to explain why......I just like it. I pretty much agree with what darkside said, somtimes I feel like a game with lots of gameplay and sometimes its nice to get the cinematic flow. I agree it does go a overboard with movies but with all the complaints they must have recieved don't think they'll do something like that again. Shenmue II is probably the current king of having the most cutscenes though.

The actual gameplay is pretty tight, there tons of moves and techniques to use, most of which were explained in the demo and not the real game (not sure why), like using the adult girly magazines to distract enemies , or shooting the enemy's radios from afar to stop them from calling for backup. On my second time through to get all the easter eggs I actually skipped all the movies, I probably wouldn't play it through it again though. To each his own I suppose, if you don't like it there's no point to keep complaining about it because we got the point the first time.
Old 01-28-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't know, i had a completely different reaction to this game. i saw my friend play it and i thought it looked like one of the coolest games out there. seemed like there was a lot of different things you could do, and different ways to accomplish the same goals.... seems awsome to me....

now bring it to gamecube!!!
Old 01-28-02, 09:40 PM

I didn't like it. I bought a ps2 for it and ended up playing ffx and gta3 and thps3 more.
Old 01-29-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree about the story. It was just soooooo stupid. I love reading posts on IGN where kids try to act like they are so intellectual. "You just don't get it!!" and what not. No kid, it's just lame.

But, I did enjoy the game. I think it took me 20 hours + to finish it. I would have preferred that the whole game just be more of the tanker episode. I don't need a mind blowing experience, just let me sneak around taking out guards and playing with high-tech military toys, OK?

FFX has a lot of cut scenes as well, but I have almost 50 hours in that game and I think I'm 75% through it.

So, while they have their faults, something about 'em is compelling to me.
Old 01-29-02, 03:59 PM

Its ok.

MGS has always been a spy movie with gameplay in the middle.
You want non-stop action MGS style, then go get the VR Missions. No story there at all.

The story is weak, but I had fun over anylising it. And I like how its setup for MGS:3. 3 will be beter.

As for the game play itself, it was MUCH better than MGS1. You could actualy AIM the guns. And the enemys are smart now.

You want to play that game and have alot of gameply? Then play it on the toughest hardness. You don't even get a damn gun untill you've spent 10 hours dieing.

Also its easy enough to skip all the radio chatter, you dont HAVE to listen to it.

There are afew nice easter eggs too. Like shooting Snake, or Birds, or things like that. "RAAWWWK Top of Locker RAAAWWK"

FFX will always be the longer game tho, its an RPG not a Spy Movie.

I also beat MGS2 in 3hours and 30 min on easy.
Old 01-29-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

Incidentally, I haven't played that much of it yet, just when I went by my friends house, but even so, I wasn't particularly impressed by the gameplay itself. Halo was soooooooo much more immersive IMO. That was an experience. Maybe if I had more time, if I ever get around to playing it again, I might enjoy it a little more, but from what I did play -- thumbs down.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-29-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw
I agree it does go a overboard with movies but with all the complaints they must have recieved don't think they'll do something like that again.
I doubt it, the original MGS had the exact same issues and look what we got.
Old 01-29-02, 11:25 PM

The first metal gear was a fricking work of Art.

Metal Gear Solid had one of the biggest folowing of any videogame in its time.

And MGS and Halo are two totaly difrent types of games.
Thats like saying "Pancakes are ok, but they got nothing compared to a Ford Mustang"
Old 01-30-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BrinStar
And MGS and Halo are two totaly difrent types of games.
Thats like saying "Pancakes are ok, but they got nothing compared to a Ford Mustang"
I own a Ford Mustang and I've eaten pancakes and I've also played Halo and MGS. I can tell you that Halo and MGS have alot more in common with each other than pancakes and Ford Mustangs do...

edited to add the "smiley face" which I meant to put there in the first place... here's another one...

Last edited by Trigger; 01-30-02 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-30-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Trigger

I own a Ford Mustang and I've eaten pancakes and I've also played Halo and MGS. I can tell you that Halo and MGS have alot more in common with each other than pancakes and Ford Mustangs do...

Trigger, You didn't like MGS2 fine, I couldn't give a donkey's ass. I enjoy the game so far. I dislike halo, yet I love CS, Doom, Quake, ghost recon, etc. I really don't feel like fighting your ideas anymore. you want to bitch about a game fine. go ahead, knock yourself out, I know you get that kick with the fighting.

if you don't want your copy of MGS2 then I'm sure you can give it to one of these fine folks here who like it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.