Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can I use s-video with component video?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-01, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I just skimmed the FAQ, but I don't think this was covered.
If I use a s-video cable AND the component video cables to hook up my dvd, will it make the picture better?
I just bought a JVC XV-F85GD because it has Progressive scan and is multi-disc. I hooked it up only to find out my TV doesn't support Progressive scan. The picture (using component video)seems worse than my two year old Sony which only has the s-video. Should I just take this thing back to the store or am I doing something wrong??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-tom
Old 12-26-01, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can you switch between interlaced and progressive on the DVD player?

The problem is the DVD player is sending a progressive signal on your component outputs and your TV can't handle the rpogressive signal.

If you can switch your DVD player to interlaced then you can still use your component cables if not use the s-video.
Old 12-26-01, 11:53 PM

I turned off the progressive scan on the player. It's kind of a useless option for me because my TV doesn't support it. (which really sucks)

My question is: Will using both component video AND s-video make the picture more clear? It just seems that the picture has a little less detail than my 2 year old Sony. Maybe I need better cables?
Old 12-27-01, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ikiilecru371
I turned off the progressive scan on the player. It's kind of a useless option for me because my TV doesn't support it. (which really sucks)

My question is: Will using both component video AND s-video make the picture more clear? It just seems that the picture has a little less detail than my 2 year old Sony. Maybe I need better cables?
No you can't use them together. It uses one or the other.

Try it with just the component cables connected and then with just the s-video connection and see which one is better.

The poor picture quality may be attributed to the player itself...not having seen the picture quality on JVC though, I can't comment on it.

Make sure to check the DVD players menu to see if there are any enhancement features or video settings that may be whacked.
Old 12-27-01, 12:02 AM

you can not use both types of wires.....each one sends a different signal(i believe) and you can only tune into one at a time...so its not like your doubling the quality of your picture if you hook it up twice. Hope I helped!
Old 12-27-01, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the quick replies!! I'll just keep messing around with the settings and maybe I can get the picture to come out better.

Thanks again,

-tom