Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is an Apex DVD player a quality machine?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-21-01, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at an Apex AD1500

"This versatile Apex DVD player supports a wide range of formats, including VCDs, SVCDs, CDs, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3s. Also features Dolby Pro Logic and is Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM ready. Enjoy precise control over your viewing with Fast and Slow Motion Forward and Backward as well as Frame by Frame Slow Motion."

Does anyone own this one or have any opinions on it? Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cidmo,
Try the Hardware forum.

The mods are going to move this.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the nice pics.
Old 12-21-01, 03:06 PM

I bought one for my parents last year at Christmas. They have been able to figure the controls out and have not broken it yet so I would say for the price I paid it is a good run of the mill machine. I can not remember the model number though.
Old 12-21-01, 03:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by adia4625
Cidmo,
Try the Hardware forum.

The mods are going to move this.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the nice pics.

Yup, but I'll be nice enough to leave a link in the Otter so anyone interested can jump right over...
Old 12-21-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i bought one of the first ones they released, back before some of the options were banned.. love it..
great player at a great price
for that price, to get a player that does dvd, vcd, mp3
and can handle cdr and cdrw disks.. has karaoke..
not to mention being able to make it regionless and turn off copy protection..
and for it also to support dd and dts.. couldnt ask for much more from a player..

sure.. it might not be super quality with dvd movies.. but I am more then willing to give up that very slight difference for all the extras I got..
and Ive had mine for a couple years now.. never had a problem..
only had two dvds movies that I had any trouble playing..
and the people at nerd-out.com/apex gave instructions on how to make those work easy enough..
Old 12-21-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought one to supplement my Toshiba 3109, I had the need to play VCDs and my old Toshiba would not do it. I kept it for two days and returned it.

It played discs just fine, but the video quality was not as good as the Toshiba and the mechanism was clunky.

I also hated the fact that is was a "mid-sized" component, it did not fit in my theater rack properly. The display looked cheesy, the power on LED was about 1000 times too bright, almost blinding in a dark room.

I then purchased a Toshiba 3750 and have been very happy with it so far. I think it is a keeper.
Old 12-21-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Not really. I own one of the original AD-600As for region free capabilities but the picture quality on their players is definitely substandard to quality lower-end players.
Old 12-21-01, 04:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally posted by JustinS
Not really. I own one of the original AD-600As for region free capabilities but the picture quality on their players is definitely substandard to quality lower-end players.
I also have the AD-600A for its special features. The picture quality isn't bad, but I only use it on a 27" TV, not on the RPTV. Actually, the picture looks pretty damn good on a 27" Sony Wega (it doesn't have to do anamorphic downconversion with the Wega's squeeze), so I guess it might depend on how you're viewing.

I would imagine they've ironed out the seamless-branching problems in the newer models.
Old 12-21-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bought one of the original AD-600As for region free capabilities, and it stopped working within a year.
Old 12-21-01, 05:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally posted by kunert
Bought one of the original AD-600As for region free capabilities, and it stopped working within a year.
I'll bet you didn't do the heat-sinking trick. Mine's got 1 3/4 years on it, but I don't use it more than 1-2 hours per day.
Old 12-21-01, 05:18 PM
Banned

I picked up an Apex 500W player about 6 months ago. The quality is as good as the Sony I used to have in its place, it hasn't given me any trouble other than it being slightly unresponsive to my universal remote, and it plays anything and everything. MP3's, CDR's, CDRW's, VCD's, whatever. Hell, I threw a couple of MPEG compressed videos on a CDR disc and it played them too. It works great.
Old 12-21-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by X
I also have the AD-600A for its special features. The picture quality isn't bad, but I only use it on a 27" TV, not on the RPTV. Actually, the picture looks pretty damn good on a 27" Sony Wega (it doesn't have to do anamorphic downconversion with the Wega's squeeze), so I guess it might depend on how you're viewing.

I would imagine they've ironed out the seamless-branching problems in the newer models.
yep.. mine looks damn good on my 36" tv..
and has 2+ years on it, without ever having any problems
Old 12-21-01, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had my 600A for almost a year now with no problems. The remote is pretty crappy, but it plays mp3s which is one of the main reasons I bought it.

My friend recently bought one of their newer models and had to exchange it 3 times before he gave up on them.
Old 12-22-01, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Apex is one of the worst quality players out there. Picture quality isn't that great, it has trouble with problematic discs and have very poor build quality. Between my friend and I, we had 6 of them. Some people will post that they have had better luck and like their machines.

But IMHO, it's better to spend a few more bucks and get a higher quality player. Many name brand players are now less than $150. For example, this week Best Buy is selling the Pioneer DV-341, which plays VCDs, CD-R, CD-RW for only $130. Amazon has the DV-343 for $140. The Panasonic DVD-RK31 is under $150 if you want mp3 playback. Save yourself a lot of hassle and buy higher quality player.

Last edited by nekobus; 12-23-01 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-22-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No. If you want a good player take a look at the Panasonic RP-91K. Link: http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...elNo=DVD-RP91K

I picked mine up at Ultimate Electronics about 4 months ago for $349.00. It plays everything.
Old 12-23-01, 09:40 PM

i've got the apex ad-600a (the one with all the "features" ) and its a great machine.. ive had it for over a year now with no problems.. can't say anything about the newer ones though.. and NO i wouldn't have bought an apex if i was looking for an all around quality player..