Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews wanted: Blue Velvet

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-24-01, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never seen this film, but I enjoy interesting cinema. Is the DVD good quality?

Thanks.
Old 11-25-01, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It is reference quality. A lot of the forum members have discussed this in the past and this movie has one of the best transfers MGM has come up with in a long time.

If you need more detailed info let me know.....
Old 11-25-01, 06:51 AM

Yesh. Looks gorgeous, sounds amazing. Hardly any extras (though look for a reasonably cool easter egg), but given the mysterious tone of the movie, who wants extras to spoil the fun?
Old 11-28-01, 12:05 PM

Like previously posted the DVD contains no extras, but the film is great. I reviewed this a while back at http://www.culturedose.com/review.php?rid=10001835
Old 11-28-01, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
It is reference quality.
I agree.
The was THE dvd that convinced me to sell my entire vhs collection. When I first got my dvd player 2 1/2 years ago, I didn't think I would buy dvds of movies I already had vhs of. I bought the Blue Velvet dvd anyway because it was David Lynch and I'll always make exceptions for anything Lynchian. I was blown away. Seeing this beautiful widescreen transfer was like seeing the movie for the first time (when I had seen the P&S vhs tape so many times I practically knew every scene of the film shot by shot). I then sold my vhs collection and slowly bought the dvds of those films as they came out.
Old 11-28-01, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
It is reference quality. A lot of the forum members have discussed this in the past and this movie has one of the best transfers MGM has come up with in a long time.

If you need more detailed info let me know.....
Check out this interview with Lynch's chief engineer, John Neff, regarding an upcoming 5.1 remix of BLUE VELVET!

cheers Tony Block

Brian Kursar: When we first spoke a few months back, you had mentioned just completing a new 5.1 remix of Blue Velvet for an upcoming DVD release.

John Neff: Right. We did Blue Velvet earlier this summer. That came out really well. That one was recent enough that we had a lot of the elements, and it was a modern enough recording that there were some good low frequencies in the raw stuff and we were able to come up with a really good subwoofer track on that. I had to make stereo surrounds because there weren’t stereo surrounds in those days, and clean up the dialogue track and condition it, etc. Blue Velvet came out really nice.

Brian Kursar: I noticed that MGM had already put out a Blue Velvet DVD in 1999.

John Neff: They did, and it was so poorly received, that they retrenched and said “we better do a better job on this” Even the audio and videophile magazines raked them over the coals for just the original 2.0 mix, which there’s a certain argument that what a movie was released in is what it should always be. And we are sensitive to that. But David wanted to take a crack at utilizing modern technology that could make that soundtrack a little more impactful.

Brian Kursar: Had anything been radically changed on the new 5.1 remix? Changes in the original elements?

John Neff: No. We always use the original elements. David is not interested in… although let me backtrack. I think he would like to remix some of the older movies. But you can’t. Anybody that creates a work, years down the road, will go “God, I wish I would have done this different, I wish I would have spent more time on that”… A project is never done. You just have to finish it and deliver it. In your mind, it’s never done. So when he hears these things today, he goes oh, jeeze, I wish I could have done this, that, and the other thing, but you have to resist that temptation. You don’t go in and start remixing and introducing new elements and new effects or new music or anything like that. You can’t do that, because then you are violating the original work of art that the film was, and to David, unfortunately there is a film business, but to him, the films are art.

Brian Kursar: For this new transfer of Blue Velvet, can you tell us if David was involved in the Video Transfer, and to what extent?

John Neff: He did go for the color timing. I’ve not seen a final color corrected digital copy yet. I worked from tape. But it looked awful good.

P.S.
Here's the rest of the interview

http://www.dugpa.com/interviewneff1.html