DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Bound

Old 09-07-01, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review wanted: Bound

I haven't seen this film yet but I've heard very good things about it, I was wondering how the DVD stacks up?
Old 09-07-01, 10:00 PM

Add one teaspoon of Pulp Fiction, one pinch of Dark Comedy, add a dash of Hitchcock and mix well, bake and you have "Bound". Bound is a very good film to say the least, it's sexy, wild, tense, and remains funny. I loved the cat and mouse play between the trio(The mob stooge, his girlfriend, and her girlfriend lover). Bound is extremely well written, well acted by the entire cast, and keeps it's dark comedy edge. Joe Pantoliano gives the performance of his life to date as "Ceasar", and Gina Gershon is near perfect. I highly recommend Bound to anyone who enjoys films.

The "Bound" is well presented on dvd. The widescreen transfer is above average, and is eye pleasing all the way through. The colors are vivid and alive, and the transfer is clean with the images well defined.

The sound of "Bound" could have been better in my opinion, but it is still a little above average. The soundtrack comes through well, while I found it to be a touch overbearing in places.

The extra's on the "Bound" dvd are a little bare. There is a trailer and a commentary. The commentary is excellent, but is more fun than informative. The best extra on the disk is the film presented in it's uncut form.

Film-B+
Transfer-B+
Sound-B
Extra's-B-
Old 09-07-01, 11:54 PM

Great! thanks for your review I think I'll get it this weekend
Old 09-08-01, 04:19 AM

Great Movie !!
Old 09-08-01, 04:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The DVD as a whole is excellent, but the commentary is pretty craptacular. The first half is dominated by somebody who served as a "Lesbian consultant" for the film. When she's not talking about how hot the two leads are, she's asking stupid questions clearly to the annoyance of the other participants. The second half features Jennifer Tilly going on and on about her Oscar Nomination (which wasn't even for this movie!). The Wachowski
Brothers are on the commentary, but all they do is grunt a couple times. I guess that's why they opted out of the Matrix commentary completely.
Old 09-08-01, 12:22 PM
Banned

the above review is totally wrong. absolutely none of the sensibilities of Pulp Fiction, none of the ingenuity of Hitchcock, and nothing to laugh at. Basically you get some nudity, and you get some bad acting, some bad writing, and some bad direction. if you are prey to BAD movies, then you'll like it.
Old 09-08-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked this movie. Picked it up at K-mart for $9.96
Old 09-08-01, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Tylenol
the above review is totally wrong. absolutely none of the sensibilities of Pulp Fiction, none of the ingenuity of Hitchcock, and nothing to laugh at. Basically you get some nudity, and you get some bad acting, some bad writing, and some bad direction. if you are prey to BAD movies, then you'll like it.
The review isn't wrong, it's a opinion(there's other views in the world other than yours believe it or not). The dvd looks great, the movie is pretty good.
Old 09-09-01, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I picked up the unrated version at DDD for $9.90 (The description said rated "R", but when I received the DVD, it was the unrated one)
Old 09-09-01, 07:17 AM

Here's what you really want to know....
the dvd is anamorphic, the video & audio look and sound very good....
The plot is a tossup.... I enjoyed it, found it disturbing, erotic, and funny... Then again if I listened to other peoples reviews, there would be MANY films that i would have skipped that I ended up loving.
DVD for $9.96? How can you go wrong? Watch it once and if it's not your thing, you spent less than going out to the movies, and have something to trade or sell.
Old 09-14-01, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
The second half features Jennifer Tilly going on and on about her Oscar Nomination (which wasn't even for this movie!)
That was the funniest comentary I have ever heard. Tily is insane. You didnt think that was funny?
Old 09-15-01, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally posted by joltaddict

That was the funniest comentary I have ever heard. Tily is insane. You didnt think that was funny?
I, too, enjoyed Tilly's commentary.

Weird thing about the commentary, though, is that it seems like, during its course, people just start showing up. It starts out with, what, two people, and by the end, it seems like the entire cast and crew are there. What's up with that?
Old 09-15-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a okay, sexy thriller by the brothers Wachowski. It's mostly interesting because of the connection the makers of the Matrix, and for the aborted lesbian love scene with Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilley.

I watched this movie what seems like ages ago and found it surprisingly good b-grade, taunt noir/mob thriller with some decent twists. Then again, I watched it because I'm a Joe Pantoliano fan (are there any others out there?) and had little expectations regarding this flick.

-Beebs
Old 09-28-01, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The commentary is one of the funniest I've heard. And its not because the people are cracking jokes. The first half of the commentary is the W brothers and some lady who got real annoying real quick. But it's bearable because you get a little insight into the shots and the sounds.

And then Jennifer Tilly shows up and all hell breaks loose. For someone who shows up very late she shows no guilt and proceeds to dominate the commentary. (why didnt they just restart the movie?) You can hear how annoyed the W brothers are with her but she just plows right through.
Here's a typical exchange between Tilly and the W Bros.
Tilly - 'Coming up is my great adlibbed line'
WBros -'(sigh)That wasnt adlibbed. It was in the script'
Tilly - 'Are you sure? I remember adlibbing here'
WBros- '(sigh) it was in the script'
Tilly - 'I dont think so. Im pretty sure I made it up. Oh well. Here comes my next big scene!'

Wash rinse repeat. Its great. And when Gina Gershon shows near the end of the commentary, she and Jennifer completely take over. The WBros just seem to give up.

Gershon - Are we supposed to be talking over the movie like this?
Tilly - Yeah, they like it like that. The more talking, the better
WBros-(sigh)

D
Old 10-04-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here's another for the movie, although the commentary track could've been better.

Originally posted by Derrich

Gershon - Are we supposed to be talking over the movie like this?
Tilly - Yeah, they like it like that. The more talking, the better
WBros-(sigh)

D