Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The complete THIN BLUE LINE - region 2 - Rowan Atkinson

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The complete THIN BLUE LINE - region 2 - Rowan Atkinson

Old 08-25-01, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the complete THIN BLUE LINE preorder - 9/17/2001 - region 2 - Rowan Atkinson

I was just searching for region 2 dvd's and I found this and thought that others might be interested. It is only 14 pounds at Play247 and it has the complete series, a really good deal I think.

Can anyone recommend any other britcoms on DVD? I was thinking of also purchasing GIMME GIMME GIMME and SPACED although I have never seen either one.
Old 08-25-01, 07:21 PM

Men Behaving Badly , series 1 thru 6 + "Last Orders" - a note on this one.. series 2 thru 6 have been shown on BBC America, series one has Harry Enfield instead of Neil Morrisey as the second roomie.. a very different (but still fuynny) tone..

Only Fools and Horses, series 1 thru 4, plus 3 or 4 'movies'

The New Statesman (for fans of 'Bottom' and 'The Young Ones', Rik Mayall as a true bastars in Parliment.. excue me, that's B'stard..) - only series 1 so far..

Guest House Paradiso (until they get 'Bottom' and 'Young Ones' out on DVD, this one is very good, as are the three 'Bottom' live discs)

Rising Damp - a 'classic' britcom.. again only series 1 out so far..

I'm waiting with bated breath for some announcement of -

Young Ones
Vicar of Dibley
Chef!
Good Life (aka, Good Neighbors)
Bottom
Brittas Empire
Red Dwarf

and way too many others..

Up until recently I've recommended www.blackstar.co.uk for R2 stuff.. but two things have come to my attention...

exchange rates form Australia to the US are nothing short of amazing.. www.chaosmusic.com and www.ezydvd.com.au are my two favorites... that plus I've found that www.amazon.co.uk DEDUCT VAT for items heading to the us... about 15% it seems...
Old 08-25-01, 10:34 PM

Thanks for mentioning about the upcoming Thin Blue Line DVD. I have not seen this series nor Blackadder, but since I love the Mr. Bean series I'll definitely pick these up! Atkinson is hilarious!
Old 08-26-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely pick up Spaced . Being a big fan of British comedy, I purchased this recently based on the rave reviews on amazon.co.uk and others. The show is hilarious, hip and quirky. Movie references go by a mile a minute (especially Star Wars references), the characters are all unique and interesting, and the disc is LOADED (with audio commentary from the main actors -- who are also the writers, deleted scenes, out-takes, trailers, etc.)

I pre-ordered The Thin Blue Line quite some time ago, and am anxiously awaitng that to arrive.

I've also got the Bottom live DVDs, Guest House Paradiso , as well as the Blackadder box set -- all great.

Amazon.de (Germany) is listing a pre-oreder for a 491 minute box set of Mr. Bean (10th Anniversary Set - due Sept. 20th), which has my interest piqued. Hopefully a U.K. (or maybe even a U.S.) version will also be coming soon, although no sign yet.
Old 08-26-01, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forget to tell AdamGott -- although they often have the lowest prices, as far as I know Play247 doesn't ship to the U.S.

Amazon U.K. and Blackstar are two tried and true resources for region 2 U.K. discs which DO ship (rather speedily) to the U.S.
Old 08-27-01, 01:36 AM

English comedies

Black Adder is the funniest show ever...superior to Bean and Thin blue Line.

I can also thoroughly recommend The League Of Gentlemen....you WON'T regret your decisions to buy.

Terry
Australia
Old 08-31-01, 01:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Numanoid Definitely pick up Spaced
Definitely! I've mentioned this one myself on the TV Forum.

And, if they make it to DVD, consider also COUPLING and BLACK BOOKS; another two slightly quirky and very well done BritComs!

I never really followed The Thin Blue Line but the odd few episodes I saw did have an appeal. It is more Atkinson and Ben Elton's take on the traditional British Comedy series, however, rather than being akin to Mr Bean or Blackadder.

Yes, The League of Gentleman is great, but I don't know how wide the appeal is. I suspect that some people will be put off by the gross caricatures....
Old 09-18-01, 12:21 AM

I just got email from Amazon.uk that they have shipped this title to me! I still recommend it to those of you that have not purchased. It is a great price (2 series on 1 dvd) for a great series.
Old 09-18-01, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thin Blue Line is 14.99 including free shipping from bensonsworld.co.uk and they're pretty good.
Old 09-20-01, 12:32 PM

The Complete Thin Blue Line [w/ Rowan Atkinson]

This was released 9/17/01 Region 2. Does anyone know if there is a Region 1 release scheduled?
Old 09-20-01, 02:05 PM

Re: The Complete Thin Blue Line [w/ Rowan Atkinson]

Originally posted by ribhadda
This was released 9/17/01 Region 2. Does anyone know if there is a Region 1 release scheduled?
I believe the proper term is DHYB (don't hold your breath). We don't eve have Mr Bean over here (except a 'best of'). Bite the bullet an get an 'internationa' player (isn't that a nicer term than 'region-free, multistandard, PAL>NTSC'???) Get a Malata.. it handled TBL and all the other Britcom's that are out in the UK nicely..
Old 09-20-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Londo,

I just got an e-mail from Mr. Benson's World saying that my copy of TBL shipped a few days ago, so hopefully I'll get it soon. I saw the first epsiode when it premiered while I was studying abroad in Scotland, but I never caught another, so I am looking forward to seeing the rest.

I was wondering which video filter you used on the Malata while watching it?

Thanks

-Brett
Old 09-20-01, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Brett
I was wondering which video filter you used on the Malata while watching it?
Well, you must remember I only have a pitiful 36" tube so I just left it on 'smart'..

.. and your pkg is in the mail

oh... get the Bean set from amazon.de yet? Care to give a report??
Old 09-21-01, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a pitiful 36" tube as well...

Still no shipping notice on the German Bean Box set, but as soon as I get it I'll post a topic here with all the specs...

-Brett