Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Otters - Please choose your console

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which Game Console Will Come Out On Top in 2002?
Microsoft X-BOX
20.59%
Sony PLAYSTATION 2
32.35%
Nintendo GAMECUBE
38.24%
Video Games are for Kids - bleh - stupid polls...
8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-01, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I want to poll the otters - so moderators, if you must move this to the video game forum, just delete it instead... I wanted to know what the Other Forum thinks about this topic.

So which Video Game console do you think will kick ass in 2002?

Sony's Playstation 2 (PS2) is already out and has a good head start... there are plenty of games available for it and it plays DVDs! It also has the ability to play Playstation 1 games.

Nintendo's Gamecube has pushed back it's release date a few weeks and now comes out 10 days after Microsoft's X-Box does. Gamecube can't play DVDs. This console isn't backward compatible with older systems. Those familiar with Nintendo systems and love their games will know what to expect - and this fanbase will line up to buy one.

Microsoft's X-Box will launch in early November with (supposedly) 23 games available at launch time. They have huge support from 3rd party game developers and are likely to have alot more titles available by early 2002. Microsoft has deep pockets and can play with the big boys - it's all a matter of whether or not they can deliver something the public will buy. X-Box also will be able to play DVDs. Many of X-Box's games will be PC ports in the coming years and this may help or hurt their sales.

So who will dominate in 2002?

<small>
Personally, I think X-Box is somewhat of an underdog here except that they are far more heavily armed than either contender. I have a feeling that they will wipe the floor with Nintendo and Playstation. What do you think?</small>

edit: Sega Dreamcast is not in the poll because it is no longer a contender. I thought it was a great console and I've always loved Sega, but they've never been able to compete with the other companies in advertising dollars. Sega has always been a technology leader though - always beating other consoles to the punch... if they had more money to pump into advertising, they might still be around today. X-Box most likely won't make this same mistake. Time will tell.

Last edited by Trigger; 08-24-01 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-24-01, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In case you are unsure and want to see some examples...
Old 08-24-01, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No TurboGrafx 16?
Old 08-24-01, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by skar
No TurboGrafx 16?
Nope - not that kind of poll... No 3DO, N64, Jaguar, Lynx, Atari, Commodore 64, Intellivision, Sega CD, etc... You could start your own poll about all-time favorite consoles and I would gladly vote.
Old 08-24-01, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would be better if you scrapped most of your explanation; your bias is apparent and may affect the voting (e.g. many PS2 games are terrible? You can say that about *any* system, including the PC). Just my opinion.
Old 08-24-01, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right - tried to have a plus and minus for each console, and I do think the PS2 has rubbish for games... but you are right and I removed that comment. I think the descriptions are fine now though... ?
Old 08-24-01, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna sit back and see what happens.

PS2 is garbage so far. Out of the the 70 or so games released for it, only 1 is worth purchasing (Gran Turismo 3 duh) When the prce drops I may get simply because my 1995 PSX is on it's last legs (and has been for the last 3 years) and I need something to play my Dragon Warrior games (Torneko, DW7, DW4) also there's a SMALL chance a good game may surface for the PS2 in the next few years. Plus the blue light is cool.

Gamecube. I don't know what to say. Gamecube will probably end up being another machine that Nintendo has to live off thier franchises in order to survive. They should just named it "pokemonmariozeldacube". They gots potential though, and they've got Sega on thier side now.

I'm biased on Xbox right now. Only because the sequel to what I think is the freshest, most innovative, and coolest game to come out in YEARS, will be coming out for it. Also the company that made said game also has a most excellent mecha-type game coming out for it. Xbox is also out of the box, ready to play online (which will be a HUGE sell point) and it's got a hard drive. So no need to buy 10 memory cards.

So I'm leaning on big X right now. But I will not buy it when it comes out. I'm gonna sit on the sidelines with my GBA and PSX playing some Dragon Warrior until the answer is a but more clear. (mind you, not being able to play Jet Grind 2 or GunValkyrie is gonna be hard)
Old 08-24-01, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that PS2 is garbage - I had no idea they had 70 games out! Looks more like 30 to me when I go to the store. To be honest - Gran Tourismo 3 isn't all that great... no major improvement over GT2. I was disappointed, but perhaps my expectations were too high.

Nintendo - I fully agree with you on this one except that Sega is not on their side so much - Sega is also producing games for X-Box. Nintendo will have Sonic now, but big whoop. I'd rather buy a Dreamcast.

The games that X-Box has on the horizon look amazing. I might wait too - and then end up not buying it at all. That's what I've done for every console to come along so far... I can never get myself to purchase one. If I do - I'll want all of them!
Old 08-24-01, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You've still got a list of GameCube negatives, and a list of X-Box positives. But it's only a silly poll.
Old 08-24-01, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
You've still got a list of GameCube negatives, and a list of X-Box positives. But it's only a silly poll.
Ok - changed it again... happy, Nintendo-boy?
Old 08-24-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
I agree that PS2 is garbage - I had no idea they had 70 games out! Looks more like 30 to me when I go to the store. To be honest - Gran Tourismo 3 isn't all that great... no major improvement over GT2. I was disappointed, but perhaps my expectations were too high.

Nintendo - I fully agree with you on this one except that Sega is not on their side so much - Sega is also producing games for X-Box. Nintendo will have Sonic now, but big whoop. I'd rather buy a Dreamcast.

The games that X-Box has on the horizon look amazing. I might wait too - and then end up not buying it at all. That's what I've done for every console to come along so far... I can never get myself to purchase one. If I do - I'll want all of them!
I don't know if there are 70 games, just making an exageration. (sp?) I really liked GT3 for what it's worth, and yeah.. it's not THAT much of an improvement (except graphics) but what are you supposed to do to a game that already r0x0r that much?

I'm not trying to be too biased with my decision, that's why I'm gonna wait it out a bit.. I think the Xbox is getting alot of unnessicary flak simply cause it has M$ name on it. And for some reason people are thinking it's a PC in a box. They hired a team to interview a whole sh*tload of gamers around the US asking what they wanted in a game system. And the Xbox is designed around that. They've spent a lot of time and money trying to make something that the gamers wanted, and not just throwing something at us. I think that gives them a lot more credentials in this. Also, the future of console gaming is gonna be online gaming (i mean.. Phantasy Star Online and NFL2k1 sucked up ALOT of time for me.. and tied up my phone line for weeks) and so far, the Xbox is the only system that seems to have a focus on it (though I'm unsure what games at launch are actually online playable if any) Well.. like I said.. wait and watch.. time will tell.. once 5 solid games come out for one system, and by solid I mean something I can play over and over and over like Castlevania: SOTN or Dragon Warrior, or Crazy Taxi.. I'll buy.
Old 08-24-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

Ok - changed it again... happy, Nintendo-boy?
I don't know what you're talking about...

Old 08-24-01, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry, I still play Sega Genesis. I have yet to see a game on ANY system better than NHL 95 on Sega.
Old 08-24-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what you're talking about...

OMG - HAHAHA...
Old 08-24-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The PS2 is still waiting for its first must have killer game. Sure games like SSX, GT3, and Madden 2001 are great, but they are not enough of a reason to spend $299. I think it will either be MGS 2 or FF X. The videos and screenshots I've seen for both look incredible. I can't wait for them.
Old 08-24-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I disagree with the no killer app for PS2 thing. GT3 is truly a killer app. Yes, it plays a lot like GT2, but if something isn't broke why fix it? The graphics are awe-inspiring and the sheer depth of the game (it is much more robust than GT2 when you take into consideration all the leagues and the arcade mode) is insane.

Other killer apps on the PS2? SSX and Madden 2001 are good examples as they were the highest selling games and both were very good. Madden 2002 and NCAA 2002 have, in my opinion, raised the bar from Madden 2001. Now, if you're not a football fan I can understand where things like Madden wouldn't excite you and wouldn't be considered a "killer app". However, all versions of Madden 2002 are based upon the PS2 foundation even though the X-Box and/or Gamecube may have better graphics.

As for future killer apps? Devil May Cry is a good early contender for those of you that are looking for a revolutionary change from the Resident Evil games. Full 3D movement, no static backgrounds like in Onimusha and the RE games, cool weapons, etc. MGS2 and FFX are obvious killer apps. They won't be out until November (maybe) and Feb. 2002 respectively.

What killer apps does X-Box have? DOA3, Halo, Oddworld? None of those excite me (I've never liked DOA3 over Namco's slate of fighting games nor Capcom's). Halo has no multiplayer in it and looks to be a shell of the promising game that was shown to us so long ago. Oddworld was a good game on the PSX, but I don't think it will be pushing systems because I don't think it pushed a lot of copies in the PSX days.

And the killer apps for the Gamecube seem to either be moving from launch or a while away. I have a lot of hope in the GC and Rogue Squadron at launch would have been an awesome start for the console. But now it sounds like it may come by the end of the year. Luigi's Mansion is not going to be a killer app, I'm not sure if it will appeal to everybody. The other killer apps: Mario, Zelda and Metroid are all at least a year from coming out. I still have hope for the GC, but I can easily wait until after the new year to buy one.

I know, it sounds like I am biased with the PS2. I just get tired of people saying there are no good games out for the PS2, when in truth there are some very standout games for the console. Names that stand out to me are: SSX, Madden 2001/2002, NCAA 2002, Twisted Metal: Black, NBA Street, Gran Turismo 3, Onimusha and even Zone of the Enders, even though it is short.

I have no hope in the X-Box. It may become the next 3DO. I don't see any games that really excite me except possibly for Raw is War, although it could turn into another Royal Rumble for DC. Microsoft's additions to the lineup don't excite me and I think they needed to buy more companies to have exclusivity deals on games. Microsoft will fail in Japan and that will only lead to bad things for them. I don't know if a system can survive only on the US and if it fails in Japan, more developers will jump ship and Microsoft will be left with no good developers other than the ones they have bought.

Ultimately, by the end of the year I believe Sony will still be in the lead. MGS2 by itself almost solidifies that belief if it comes out before the end of the year. MGS2 will move consoles as will FFX when it comes out early next year (Square should really push things hard to bring it out before Christmas, but I don't see it happening). I hope the X-Box fails because I don't think Microsoft has planned things out very well. I also hope the Gamecube is a success.
Old 08-24-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
as will FFX when it comes out early next year (Square should really push things hard to bring it out before Christmas, but I don't see it happening).
No, I really hope not. Sure, that would help sales out a bit, but I remember the last time Square was pushed to release a Final Fantasy to help sales, FF7. I'm sure the fans of that game know what Square left out of the US version (as opposed to the Japanese version).

And, yes, looks like one of the evil mods moved your thread ...
Old 08-24-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I would rather they made it correctly. I would just selfishly like it before the end of the year .
Old 08-24-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Playstation 2. Why?
Right now, four reasons...

{BTW, the first two are Devil May Cry and Xenosaga if you don't know...)
Old 08-24-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RJainMJ

No, I really hope not. Sure, that would help sales out a bit, but I remember the last time Square was pushed to release a Final Fantasy to help sales, FF7. I'm sure the fans of that game know what Square left out of the US version (as opposed to the Japanese version).
WHAT THE..?!

Was the japanese version actually GOOD or something?! O_O

Old 08-24-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice jab at FF7, pixyboi

RJainMJ, are you sure you know what you're talking about? I searched for a few seconds and this is what I found...

• All text changed from Japanese to English.
  • Item names changed from the American FF7 Demo Disc.
  • Of the 6 disabled Materia in the Japanese release, five were
    altered slightly (not named, either), and the other one was made
    into a real Materia (Underwater).
  • In the beta version, there were two new Key Items (Ruby Fragment
    and Emerald Fragment), similar to the mementos your recieved when
    you killed Shinryu or Omega in FF5j (in other words, no real use).
    These were removed and replaced with the Desert Rose and Earth
    Harp items, below.
  • Three new Items were added (Guide Book, Desert Rose, Earth Harp)
  • A new weapon was added: the Rising Sun (for Yuffie). Technically,
    this isn't a new weapon, as it was in the Japanese version, but
    wasn't normally available in the game (for the life of me, I don't
    know why--but I'd bet anything it was an oversight.)
  • One of the Weapon Monsters was turned into a boss (Diamond Weapon).
  • Two optional Weapon Monsters were added to the game (Emerald and
    Ruby). This also resulted in small scenario/changes being built
    around these two new bosses.
  • A new FMV sequence was added showcasing the new Weapon monsters.
    This isn't a seperate sequence, but was added in along with the
    FMV seen when escaping from the Whirlwind Maze in Disc 2.
  • The Submarine mini-game now plays much faster.
  • There's a bit after this showing Cloud's arrival in Midgar, and his
    meeting with Tifa--this part wasn't in the Japanese FF7.
  • Minor graphical changes were made, clearing up exisiting areas or
    simply adding more to the background to create a more detailed game.
    However, these changes were very small and the game is not that
    graphically different from the Japanese version.
  • The number of letters available for naming your character was
    changed from 6 to 9 spaces.
  • Apparently, one enemy, 'Test Zero' was removed. This enemy was simply
    a battle-testing opponent (it looks like Dark Nation), that had no
    purpose in the game and was left in by mistake (or as a joke by the
    programmers, as it gives you lots of EXP, or so I'm told).
  • Some of the spells have been altered. For instance, Chocobuckle
    does damage according to the number of times you've run away from
    a battle, instead of that _multiplied_ by the skill users' EXP
    level.
  • Mr. DeLucas notes that at least one area was made easier to access;
    the Chocobo Barn. In the Japanese version, you appeared closer to
    the outside pen than you do in the US version.
  • The difficulty was altered.*
  • The ability of Sephiroth, "Supernova" was completely redone. It
    is nothing like the Japanese version (a short clip of an explosion
    in outer space), and instead shows a comet-like blast of energy
    destroying several of the outer planets, then striking the sun
    and sending it into a supernova, which destroys most of the
    inner planets and rises up behind Sephiroth and the good guys,
    causing lots of damage. It's also at least a minute and a half
    longer than the Japanese version.
  • There is a star field that appears after the credits. The credits
    themselves are now in English (but the Japanese logo was removed!
    It looked _so_ cool in the Japanese, especially with the kanji and
    little English translations!)

* The exact statement from Mr. Hironobu Sakaguchi was "The enemy
    encounter rates have also been adjusted so that the story line and
    battles are more balanced. Also at certain points you'll have
    bosses with weaknesses that are hard to work out, and we've added
    hint messages to aid the player."

This may just be me, but from my personal experience with both games,
    this doesn't seem to be true. The enemy encounter rate is just the
    same as it was in the Japanese version. What Mr. Sakaguchi doesn't
    mention is that several of the enemies have been made easier, in
    terms of tactics they use against you (the Bloat Floats near the
    Corel Reactor for one thing), but this isn't a widespread change.
    Furthermore, in regards to his 'hint messages' statement, this
    doesn't seem to be true. The only message I can think of is the
    one that Reno gives when you fight him at the support pillar in
    Sector 7 about breaking his Pyramid attack.

However, the _gameplay_ has been made considerably easier. For
    instance the 'Guardian of Time' puzzle in the Temple of Ancients
    requires no figuring out; you just move the hour hand as you wish
    in order to enter the various rooms. But in the Japanese version,
    there were many options that would move the hands back or
    forward in different patterns, making the puzzle extremely tough.
    Another example would be climing Gaea's Cliff in Disc 2; in the
    US version, keeping your body temperature high is easy, but in the
    Japanese version, it would begin dropping immediately if you
    weren't pounding the Square button with all your might.
--FINAL FANTASY VII CHANGES FAQ V 0.3
So it seems they added a bit more to the American version. Am I missing something?
Old 08-24-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi

WHAT THE..?!

Was the japanese version actually GOOD or something?! O_O

Best. Game. Ever.

The difference was
Spoiler:
you could bring back Aeris
Old 08-24-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UNFOUNDED RUMOR!

Sorry, but that is definitely not true at all.

From the above FAQ...

Spoiler:

All of these are basically false, but they all have a solid base, at
the least. So while there is basis for these rumors, that doesn't
make them true. Here's a detailed explanation:
  • It was possible to revive Aeris after her death in Disc 1.
This is all thoroughly explained in a post by Ben Lansing, who claimed
to be a worker at Square USA during the creation of the Japanese game.
I had a really nice argument against his claim that I used to tell
people who believed him, but he recently admitted that the whole thing
was a joke (I'm still keeping my argument here, cuz' it sounds good).

In a nutshell:
  • The 'Underwater' materia that he said could be used to revive
    Aeris is purple, not yellow. Furthermore, it has no effect in
    the Japanese game.
  • The 'Key to Sector 5' item isn't available in Disc 1, as he says,
    but even with it in your inventory, you could still not return to
    Midgar (the door doesn't open, plain and simple).
  • The ending of the game is composed of one multi-part file with
    three sections for the three corresponding parts of the game's
    one ending. There are no 'extra' movie files in any of the CDs.
  • Mr. Lansing claimed that there was an extra area in the
    Forgotten Captial, but no such area has been found.
  • He also said that meeting Aeris' ghost in Midgar was a mistake
    made by the Square programmers, but that they covered it up by
    changing the dialogue given to you by two children nearby. Even
    assuming the rumor was true, none of the changes that Square
    supposedly made directly affect the main game, so this rumored
    alteration seems highly questionable.
  • A main character has died in just about every Final Fantasy game,
    so that's a good indicator that someone was meant to die in this
    game.
  • Finally, most of the unanswered questions in Lansing's explanation
    are put to rest in the American version: the scene with the dying
    man in Midgar, the use of the Underwater materia, etc.
Even if you decide that the rumor is true, there's no way to revive
Aeris in the final versions of either the Japanese or US versions of
the game, and sticking her back in your party with a GameShark has
shown that there are no other sequences with her/ways that she is
involved with your party, aside from 'general character' quotes. That
doesn't mean that Square didn't originally _consider_ the idea of
having Aerith being brought back to life, but even if they did, it
was obviously discarded/decided against and never developed any
further than that (I believe that! Really!)
Old 08-24-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RJainMJ

Best. Game. Ever.

The difference was
Spoiler:
you could bring back Aeris
I don't know how anyone could say it was the best game ever after playing the previous FF's. And even if the above had true, it would have left the plotline in (further) ruins.
Old 08-24-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know how anyone could say it was the best game ever after playing the previous FF's. And even if the above had true, it would have left the plotline in (further) ruins.
Well, I haven't played the previous FF's. Actually, I'm in the middle of FF6. Excellent so far ...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.